16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Anybody ever bead blasted an action
uplandshooter
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

I have an old Winchester model 24 I picked up a few years ago really cheap. The bluing on barrels isn't bad but a previous owner engraved his name on the bottom of the action. Fortunately the etching wasn't deep and I was able to polish it out. Now the action is half polished and half blue. I would reblue the whole gun but nobody around my area will cold blue only hot blue. I don't think the soldering on the barrels will take it in any case. I have used chemical cold blue bluing in the past but found they either rusted the metal or the colour is not consistant. I thought I might bead blast the action. Anybody try it? What were the results? Any other suggestions.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

A friend of mine did an old Parker VH 16 that he found rusted in the corner of an old barn grainery. He had the barrels sleeved and wood replaced. The only thing he could do, short of sending it to Turnbull, was try the bead blaster and black the action. Surprised me how well it turned out. Your gun should have a black action so it should look alright, but it will be a flat finish.

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

How about taking some "Flitz" and polishing the action, and leaving the barrels alone. Originality goes out the window, but picturing it in my mind, it may look nice.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
berg
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

Most 24's lost the blue on the bottom of the reciever soon followed by the sides and top and then the barrels anyway. Smile

Cold blue won't take very well. It will wear off almost as fast as it goes on.
If you really want it blued just have the action done. If you carry it afield much it will wear to match pretty well in a couple of years. I've seen quite a few 24's that had the action reblued.
Either that or ship the whole gun off to somebody that will do it right.

My dad's (12 ga.) 24 was the first shotgun I ever shot. He bought it used in about '54 after he was back from Korea and by the time he hung it up and bought an A-5 in '72 I think the only blueing left on it was under the forend wood. He had touched it up with cold blue a couple of times, but it wouldn't last a season. He kept it until just a couple of years ago and then traded it off without letting me or my brothers know, I think he didn't want us to get into a fight over it.

berg