16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  16 Ga. guns for sale !!!
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

I stopped into Safari Outfitters, in Millbrook, N.Y. today. I have mentioned them before. This is my "go-to" store when money is burning a hole in my pocket. They operate a boutique style of shop. High end guns, or perfect versions of lower end guns. I took some notes for all of you. I have no affiliation or financial interest in anything in the store. I'm on a first name basis with the owner (Niles) and his wife (Kim), but mentioning my name will not earn either of us "brownie points".

Their phone # is 1.845.677.5444. Their web address is www.safarioutfittersltd.com

Not all of their inventory is on the web. If you want to see pictures of anything below, ask them.

All 16 Ga. guns.

#1-Parker DHE #1 frame. 30" barrels.On their website.

#2-LC Smith Field GradeMint. In "as new" condition. On their website.

#3- Winchester 21. Grade 5. Awesome wood!! In "as new" condition. On their website.

#4-Matched Pair of Boss sidelocks. Very rare self openers. Excellent condition. On their website.

#5- Woodward "Best" sidelock. In pristine condition. Cased in leather, with all the accessories. On their website.

#6- Clark and Sons, Boxlock. Sleeved barrels. English Grip. 28" barrels. 6 lbs. I handled this gun, and fell in love with it. If only it said Sauer or Daly on the sides of the receiver. Someone please buy it before my weakness overtakes me. NOT on their website.

Good luck, and...

Regards,

Peter Weber

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

Nice guns Peter-not helping my case of the 'covets' a bit Wink
THIS however would be 'as new' case colors on a 40s LC (and without the 'patina' on the L lockplate Rolling Eyes )

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:01 am  Reply with quote

Peter, should you hanker for a high end 12, I have shot both the Forgeron and the Lebeau Courally they have on their website. Previous owner was a friend of mine, now deceased. If I wanted a high end pheasant gun, I'd get very excited about that Forgeron.
GA_Longhorn
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:00 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
THIS however would be 'as new' case colors on a 40s LC (and without the 'patina' on the L lockplate Rolling Eyes )

Doc,
I wish you wouldn't do that, so early in the morning. Be still my heart. Thanks for the picture.

Regards,
Charles

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:40 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:

Actually, Drew,

The L.C. I saw in the store looks almost like that one. It definitely looks far better than it does in the pictures.

Is that one of yours?

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:48 am  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
Peter, should you hanker for a high end 12, I have shot both the Forgeron and the Lebeau Courally they have on their website. Previous owner was a friend of mine, now deceased. If I wanted a high end pheasant gun, I'd get very excited about that Forgeron.

Thanks Larry,

I actually picked up one of those guns when I was there yesterday. But, I've made a descision to concentrate on my Prussian desires. I don't understand why, but a very great part of their inventory never makes it onto their website. Maybe the picture posting process takes way too long.

Do you ever get over to that part of New York? Maybe we can meet up around there and lie about our shooting skills and women.

jig
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:49 pm  Reply with quote

I just bought the LC Smith 16 GA field grade currently on the safari Site to celebrate the fact I got a new job!!!! And while it doesnt look quite as nice as the one Doc posted - it's fine with me. Always wanted an LC Smith. They are my favorite of the American Classics - pretty good stock dimensions too.

It aint new, but its pretty minty compared to all the others I've run across.
When Prussiin Gun Guy posted the LC here, I had already gone for the gun, just was workin out formalities. Thank God I didnt send Brit all my 16GA ammo yet Wink I just couldnt convince myself that I would never have a 16GA again. On to better things now....Hey Doc, what do you think of this LC? I know everyone's gonna say it's on th heavy side, but I don't care cuz I shoot 7LB and up guns best, even after carrying them all day.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

jig wrote:
I just bought the LC Smith 16 GA field grade currently on the safari Site to celebrate the fact I got a new job!!!! And while it doesnt look quite as nice as the one Doc posted - it's fine with me. Always wanted an LC Smith. They are my favorite of the American Classics - pretty good stock dimensions too.

It aint new, but its pretty minty compared to all the others I've run across.
When Prussiin Gun Guy posted the LC here, I had already gone for the gun, just was workin out formalities. Thank God I didnt send Brit all my 16GA ammo yet Wink I just couldnt convince myself that I would never have a 16GA again. On to better things now....Hey Doc, what do you think of this LC? I know everyone's gonna say it's on th heavy side, but I don't care cuz I shoot 7LB and up guns best, even after carrying them all day.

Congratulations. They were taking pictures when I was there. I probably left there around 1:00. Any chance we may have seen each otherthere?

Enjoy it and shoot it well. Good luck.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

jig: you got yourself a wonderful gun and congratulations! Very Happy Looks to have the slightly more full splinter FE so should be a later gun with 2 3/4" chambers. Now have someone like one of these fellas glasbed the head of the stock and reinforce the wood around the lockplates and you can shoot any 1 oz load you want, and you'll be passing this jewel on to your grandchildren Cool

Classic Gunstocks
Daniel May - Stockmaker
Oswego, NY dmay40@hotmail.com
315-342-2846

Larry Schuknecht
716-741-3739
shoptalk@dutchmanwoodworks.com
Clarence Center, N.Y.
http://www.dutchmanwoodworks.com:80/

Best of shooting and welcome to the worshipful society of sixteen gauge sweet Elsie love slaves! Wink (My 16g Sterly didn't work out so good either Confused ) What are your plans regarding the chokes? Open or use spreader loads for the close stuff?

jig
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

No chance unforunately - I live in Washington State!
All my buying was done on the phone and email - but I did stay in a Hoilday Inn Express last night. Shocked
jig
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Personaly, I love and preferr shotguns with full/Mod chokes.
Where I hunt we're unlikely to flush birds closer than 30-40 yards then they take off with the wind.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

No prob: Gary Goudy Dayton, WA
509-382-2726 Very Happy
PM me the serial # and I'll let you know the date of manufacture.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:25 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the Gary Goudy tip Rev, good to know.

Jig, I take it you're a chukar/hun hunter that hunts on the eastside? So am I. You're right about Washington, wide open and 30-40 yds. are the norm.
jig
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Revdoc-yep, Dayton is my home away from home. I have soooo many acres their to hunt it's almost obscene. Took me years to get the many farmer friends I now have. Not only for rooster and huns....but also the finest eating whitetail deer that walk the earth. As for chokes, the mod and full tuen out versatility for me as a hand loader. I can manipulate loads to duplicate needed choke patterns, so why bother to open em up? Its much easier to make tight chokes open up, than it is to make open chokes tighten up - though both can be done. I have had the best success in roosters where I hunt with mod/full by far. I always carry a variety of loads with me to suit the conditions. Hard shot/soft shot, Spreader loads, pagodas, you name it. What pressures should I limit the LC Smith to? Do you suggest and bore work for them such as lengthening forcing etc?

How tight is LC's full and mod chokes in the 16? Doc - how do you know about Dayton? Also that phone number you listed: what is that for? Is he a gunsmith or what?
jig
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:46 am  Reply with quote

Just saw your post uncledanfan: Yeah, you know what I'm talking about. I often read others posts on this site regarding chukars and pheasant and wonder if they are hunting gamefarms or something. They are always talking about light loads and open chokes etc. The only thing I hunt that fits that bill is maybe quail. But even our quail are pretty hardy and I find myself loading up nickel plated 1oz loads for them too. I like things to be dead, and also for patterns to be effective and shot to penetrate. As you know, we deal with a lot of wind at times too. But chukar seldom allow you to get real close. Also they are usually very near totally unapproachable cliffs that they escape to. So, you sometimes only have one chance for a reasonable flush and/or kill - then you gotta change spots. Where I hunt roosters is wide open wheat stubble with some riparian areas in between. The birds hear and see you coming as soon as the car door shuts and the kennel opens. They are usually walking or running by then wondering when they are gonna fly. So if you are lucky they will flush at about 20 yards. But if I averaged it out over time it would prolly measure more like 35 yards - that aint much time to get off one shot, let alone two. Plus, I want to make sure that bird is dead as possible. They have the strangest way of disappearing if they have even a shred of life left in them. Literally as if they were swallowed up by the ground.Don't know how they do it - chukar are the same way. They will use their dying breath to absolutley disappear to where even a good dog can't find them.