16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Rizzini Model 400 @ Cabela's
sage1
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

Has any purchased, seen or handled one of the F.A.I.R. (Fabrica Armi Isodoro Rizzini) shotguns available from cabela's. The model 400 is a 16 ga is looks pretty darn good. Like to hear from those who have seen one...or two.

Thanks

sage1

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/sidney/european_sg/000400_16fairfair.jsp
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:22 am  Reply with quote

Yes to all the above questions. Owned the higher grade Model 900, did not keep it, but it was not because the gun gave me any problems. Had a Model 400 (28ga) on a "field test" basis and thought it was pretty neat too. I have looked at some of the Model 400 16's at my nearest Cabela's (Owatonna, MN). They have about half a dozen of them, plus a couple of the 400 Golds, which is a little fancier and something like $100 more.

I've also owned Citori 16's. Shot them well enough, but between the two, liked the way the FAIR handled better. They're lighter than any of the Citoris, except the Lightning Feather. You get 5 choke tubes compared to 3 with the Citori.

Service . . . I don't know whether the FAIR guns are being imported at all any more, since New England Arms went out of business. Cabela's basically purchased their entire inventory of FAIRs. That being said, having bought dozens of guns from Cabela's, I'm very confident in their service. Bought a Greener 16 from them, stock broke on the 3rd shot. (Used gun, poorly repaired crack hidden by the checkering.) I had no doubt that Cabela's would refund my money, but I asked if they would restock the gun for me, because I really liked it. They did so, no charge.

The price on the Model 400 is about $400 less than NEA was selling them for. I don't really need another 16ga OU (I have a Merkel), but I might end up buying one anyhow. I think most of the Cabela's stores will have enough of them in inventory that you can look over several and take your pick.

Don't think you'd go wrong with either a FAIR or a Citori. Take a look at both, see which one trips your trigger.
16ga.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:31 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin
Site Admin

16sep05

I currently own two FAIR's and like Larry, my 16 is the 900 model. I have owned it for almost 5 years and have not had any significant problems with it and my local gunsmith seems to be able to clean it up for me every year or so. The only work I've done was to have the stock bent to fit my measurements, add a leather recoil pad and now it shoots where I am looking. The guns are light, nimble and feel great and look handsome too. My only regret is that I didn't opt for the 2 triggers.

Also, my other FAIR is a 28ga, a 900 with 2 triggers, which I took to Argentina where I ran 5,000 shells through it without a hiccup.

I like the FAIRs and would buy them again.

16ga.
L Kenney
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

Not that it's critical with other, albeit spendier non-toxic shells available, but I recall reading that F.A.I.R's weren't to be used with steel shot. Anybody know for sure?
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up a Model 400 Gold 16 at Cabela's yesterday. Shot skeet with it today. After a "get acquainted" round, I posted 2 successive 24's, using the cyl and IC chokes (which actually measure about .002 and .008, according to my bore and choke gauge.) Cabela's is selling these guns for $400 under the New England Arms/Dewing's price, and I think they're a pretty good buy for that kind of money.

All the ones I've seen are semi-pistol, SST, VR, and I think 28" barrels. I'm guessing my gun, in that configuration, comes in about 6 1/4#.

I'm more a sxs guy than OU, but this is a pretty nice OU for those looking for a lightweight, modern 16.
L Kenney
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

Will the FAIR model 400s handle steel shot? (and yes, I know, Bismuth and Tungsten Matrix are better.......)
Dove Hunter
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

It was funny to see this thread. I bought a model 900 from a dealer in Tuscaloosa Alabama about three hours ago. Mine has 29-30 inch barrels. The price was really good and when I mounted the gun it said hello. I'll let you know how it shoots if my wife does'nt kill me for buying another 16!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:19 am  Reply with quote

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Will anyone post your obits here if the worst happens? Wink
NE16
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:59 am  Reply with quote

Dove Hunter wrote:
It was funny to see this thread. I bought a model 900 from a dealer in Tuscaloosa Alabama about three hours ago. Mine has 29-30 inch barrels. The price was really good and when I mounted the gun it said hello. I'll let you know how it shoots if my wife does'nt kill me for buying another 16!

We will all mourn your passing...... Ok now that we're past that where can we contact your wife about buying your shotguns.......? Cool
RWG
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

I have handled the FAIRs in 16 at Cabela's Dundee store, and Larry's when I saw him over the weekend. The M-400 is a great deal at $1500.00. Honestly, only the B. Rizzini's from sig compare in value, but they are not available in 16 ga. Buy them while they last. I suspect a number will be sold before christmas. Russ
Dove Hunter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:27 am  Reply with quote

I've been out of town. The FAIR is wicked gentlemen!. It smokes clays like hell after a yearling. Dove season reopens in two weeks and the birdies will be in deep trouble. I am still alive and well and still have the same number of guns and the same wife. Life is good. NE16, I will be in Omaha on the 15-19 of November as I work for a large mutual insurance company from Omaha ( guess who it is). Any bird seasons open there? Smile