16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16-gauge shotgun: Not gone, and not forgotten
halvey
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:57 am  Reply with quote

http://www.startribune.com/stories/531/5613300.html

16-gauge shotgun: Not gone, and not forgotten
Doug Smith, Star Tribune
September 14, 2005 GAUGE0914

There was a time not long ago, Grant Fackler says, when some predicted the 16 gauge shotgun would disappear.

But as Mark Twain said: "The report of my death was an exaggeration."

While the 12-gauge shotgun has become ubiquitous for American hunters, the 16 gauge hasn't gone extinct. In fact, it is alive and well, nurtured by a small band of 16 gauge advocates.

Some major U.S. gun manufacturers, including Ithaca, Browning and Remington, have produced 16 gauge shotguns in recent years. And the gauge remains popular in Europe.

"The 12 gauge obviously is the most dominant shotgun in America, but there's a lot of guys out there really clamoring for production of these 16 gauge guns," said Fackler, 40, who, with his brother, Kurt, operates Ballistic Products Inc. of Corcoran. The firm sells ammunition, reloading equipment and other gun supplies.

Kurt, David and Grant FacklerJeff WheelerStar Tribune"We definitely are selling more 16-gauge ammunition," he said. "It's esoteric, but there's a nationwide cadre of 16 gauge shooters."

What's the allure?

For one, the 16 gauge, which obviously falls between the 12 and the 20 gauge in bore size, generally is lighter than a 12 gauge.

"It's a great upland gun. I like the nimbleness, how it feels, how it mounts," Fackler said. "It can be significantly lighter. And that's important if you're walking after wily ringnecks all day.

"And you're carrying lighter ammunition in your pockets, too."

Yet it has more pop than a 20 gauge, No. 2 in popularity.

Fackler's dad, Dave, 71, who founded the company, also loves the 16 gauge for upland hunting: "The 16 gauge is just sweet; it's the Sweet 16."

Times change

Dave Fackler said the 16 gauge's popularity probably peaked right after World War II. Pheasants were booming, and the 16 gauge was ideal. It was No. 2 in popularity, with about 25 percent of the market, compared with 50 percent for the 12 gauge.

In Minnesota, the 16 gauge also was used by duck hunters. At that time, of course, lead shot still was legal for waterfowl.

"Minnesota used to be a big bluebill state," Dave Fackler said. "The 16 gauge and the bluebill is a perfect match, because you have a gun that swings fast. Bluebills go by a duck blind like a Russian rocket.

"A high-speed swing is important with a high-speed bird."

That's why the gun also was popular for ruffed grouse and woodcock.

The 16 gauge fell out of favor for several reasons.

The pheasant population plummeted with the change in agricultural practices, and hunters learned that a 12 gauge could better reach those long-flushing late-season birds. Duck hunting became more mallard-oriented, Fackler said. And, more recently, the Canada goose population exploded, as has interest in hunting those big birds.

"The 12 gauge really gained ground," Dave Fackler said. "It could do more."

Another major blow: the required switch from lead shot to steel or other nontoxic shot for waterfowl hunting. Steel ruined the barrels of 16 gauge shotguns.

"When the lead shot ban came, it hurt, because for a long time there was only steel, and these old 16 gauges were not well equipped to handle steel," Grant Fackler said.

Then there was the development of shotgun shell technology: the 20 gauge benefited more than the 16 gauge from shell improvements, including the 3-inch 20 gauge shell

As 16 gauge use foundered, the availability of 16 gauge ammunition also became an issue. Many stores simply didn't carry it. And even though many ammunition companies make 16 gauge shotgun shells today, hunters who shoot them have to be conscious of the availability.

Run out of 16 gauge ammo while hunting pheasants in the middle of nowhere, and you might have a problem.

A 16 gauge rebound?

But the 16 gauge refuses to go away. Major firearms companies still occasionally crank out some. Sixteen gauge aficionados like the Facklers -- and groups like the 16 Gauge Society (www.16ga.com) -- continue to try to keep the 16 gauge alive. The 16 Gauge Society, based in California, has about 300 members nationwide, said Doug Oliver of Santa Monica, Calif., who started the organization last year.

There likely will always be a niche for the 16 gauge shooter. But it's doubtful the 16 gauge will ever recover its long-lost glory.

That's because the 12 gauge clearly is entrenched as the gun of choice.

For Federal Cartridge Corp. in Anoka, 16 gauge ammo still comprises a tiny market share, said spokesman Jason Nash. The 16 gauge represents about 4 percent of upland shell sales, he said. In comparison, the 12 gauge is 80 percent of sales, and the 20 gauge is about 15 percent. Consider all Federal shotgun shell sales, and the 16 gauge has even a smaller share.

"Overall, we're talking less than 1 percent," Nash said. "There was a slight blip when a couple new 16 gauges were introduced a few years ago. But you'd have to go back to the 1960s or 1970s before you'd see the 16 gauge holding a larger share of the market."

Major gunmakers echo those comments.

"The demand is very minimal," said Paul Thompson, spokesman for Browning. "We reintroduced the Sweet 16 in the late '80s for a few years and dropped it in 1992."

A couple of years ago, some dealers placed an order large enough to spur limited production of some 16 gauge shotguns, Thompson said.

"Right now, it's not a growing market," he said. "There's a following there, but it's sporadic. I doubt you'll ever see us produce it [16 gauge] as a regular production gun again."

Grant Fackler and others remain undeterred. He shoots a 16 gauge Browning over-and-under.

"I love shooting it and swinging it; it feels like an extension of my arms," he said.
16ga.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:09 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin
Site Admin

16sep05

Thanks for posting this newspaper article. It is about 95% what I wanted to read, but 100% positive that they are talking about 16 gauge. The more people that read how sweet the swing is the more it will help spur the demand.

Thanks, 16ga.
brdhnt
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

The article was right on the money!

All that was said in it was true. I think a lot of shooters of my generation
were like me. We have 'rediscovered' how sweet the 16 really is. I know I have read numerous magazine articles over the years about if the 16 was alive or dead. Usually in about a paragraph or two, I could tell if the writer was a 16 gauge user or not. If he was, he was saying that it was alive and would stay alive. If he wasn't a 16 gauge user, he was arguing that it was dead.

My views are that the 16 is alive and well. I find more and more that not only am I using a 16 in the field, but that more and more of them are in the gun safe. For over 20 years I was a dedicated 20 gauge user, but I can't remember the last time I used a 20 in the field. I know it has been at least 8-10 years. Now I am using a 16 or a 28 (another addictive gauge) probably 80% of the time.

Just my views.
________
Universal health warehouse

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:03 am  Reply with quote

That is a fine article. However, the author failed to mention the negative effect the two major manufacturers have had on the 16 ga. by refusingto make it in a proper frame size. If the 16ga. Citori had not come along, I would never have given it a second thought. I'm not a SXS fan and why would I want to lug and 8lb 16 ga. auto or pump around when I can have a 12 in the same basic weight class.

It is almost impossible in today's manufacturing world to build a 12 that weights 6-1/2 pounds. Ruger just finished trying with their new 12 ga,. SXS. They were shooting for 6 pounds and ended up with just over seven. Not bad, but my 16 Citori O/U shades it by nearly 1/2 pound and is much faster to handle.

Plus, consider the recoil facter. Properly framed, light weight 16's kick with standard hunting loads. If used for practice on clays, the lighter guns are uncomfortable to shoot much. Again, the major manufacturers refuse to offer light shot loads like 7/8 and 3/4oz. Yeah, I know there is supposed to be no demand. However, a handfull of members of this forum just purchased a quarter million R16 wads so they can load their own light loads. I'll bet the vast majority of these wads are used on a skeet or trap range with less than 1 oz. loads. To me that is a damned big blip. If you are going to tell the story, tell all of it.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

Ok, I will. The facts are: we don't have the wads yet. I put my money where my mouth is---and I'm still waiting. The wads will probably come----but face it, even for 225,000 wads, we are and probably always will be a minority---simply because there are a majority of people out there who are comfortable buying what Wal-Mart sells and being satisfied with it. Do I like that? Not particularly. I love 16 gauges and will own/shoot them till I die. But can I change it? No....

Another fact: The 12's and 20's are going to dominate the market and thus the manufacturers' attentions, no matter what we think, say, or do. Trying to get a major manufacturer to bring back the 1950's or 1960's and initiate a sustained production of a "quality" 16 gauge gun (however we define that---and the definitions differ depending on use) is like trying to pick up sticks with our butt cheeks---an interesting pastime, but not very effective in the long run. Remington, Winchester, Ruger, and others simply have bigger fish to fry. It's just business, so don't take it so personal. You'll experience less stress, and live longer.....

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:59 am  Reply with quote

Ok, Don't reply to my earlier comments....that doesn't diminish the fact they're true.....it's nice to be optimistic, but useful to be realistic....

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:48 am  Reply with quote

I've handled two Ruger Gold labels, both straight stock guns-neither was over 7 lbs, the scale at the shop said 6lbs 13 ozs on the one gun we put on it. Very nice handling gun, have heard about trigger issues on several.
Best,
Ted
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:01 am  Reply with quote

Do what with my butt cheeks? You kinky dog you! Anyway, we can't bring back the '60's (and who in their right mind would want to considering some of the get ups we wore Laughing). However, changing needs and the demand to fill them is what drives a market. the hunting scene is changing. There are more people hunting upland now than in the last two decades. Pheasant numbers are way up. Browning might have jumped the gun when they reintroduced the Sweet 16 Auto 5 in 1987 and brought out the 16 Citori. However, they were right about them being the right gun for the right purpose.

Just from my own experiences in the stocked fields of Ma., I've been personally responsible for a fair number of conversions to the gauge from other hunters hefting my gun after watching me plaster a bird dead in the air with it. They are shocked to learn that 7/8 oz. of #7 or 1 oz. of #6 can be so effective. We hunt stocked birds, but we walk for hours behind our dogs too, especially towards the end of the season. Bigger shot and more of it than a 20 can handle does make a difference then. That 1 to 2 lbs of weight makes a huge difference at day's end too.

Changes do take time, even the right ones. Have faith in your inate wisdom Wolfchief. You don't favor the gauge because you are dumb. You are simply ahead of the curve here. most of us who haunt this forum are, maybe even Ted Rolling Eyes . On the wads, patience my friend. Its a done deal.

On the Ruger gold Label. Its a 12ga. and its heavier than my 16 gauge guns. The ones we weighed were all just over 7lbs. Yawwwwwn!
kb
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

I've read all of the above comments with interest. To be honest, the 12ga will ALWAYS have all the bases covered in terms of different ammo selections. However, the 16ga has its place -- a very useful place in the uplands. It can handle all sorts of game AND it has a definite edge over the 20ga. The 16ga will pattern better with larger shot sizes (#6, #5, even#4) than the 20ga and the 16 patterns almost as well as the 12 in a lighter weight, trimmer shotgun. It is a shame that the 16 got squeezed out economically after the War between the 12 and 20 gauges. The big three U.S. ammo producers (Remington, Federal, Winchester) havn't helped much either. If I may, I would like to direct 16ga Society members to POLYWAD, INC. -- they make a two light loads (7/8 oz) for the 16 and the 12 including #6 shot. For those of us who have no desire to reload, this is just the ticket. I took in some a few months ago and will try them out when the hunting season opens up this month.
pumpgun
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:31 am  Reply with quote

nose112 wrote:
Quote:
I see you got a nice discussion going on, I hate to interrupt, but I have an important thing to say - I think its a load of BS. Please dont delete my post, but I really think you havnt thought this through... PM me if you think I am wrong about this.

Well to each his own. However, it would be helpful in the future to elaborate a bit on you opinions. So far I don't think we've even established what it is you think is BS. Was it the gold label's trigger issues? the 16 gauge in general? Fill us in.
Dongotto
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:53 am  Reply with quote

I think the key to the future of the 16ga is to get more young shooters shooting them. I am 30 years old, and shoot a lot of registered targets and upland birds. My grandpa has a really nice belgium sweet 16, vent rib, imcyl. Since I was about 7 years old I thought that was the coolest gun in the world. He would tell me of all the great quail hunts he had made with that gun. I took my first quail with that shotgun, and although I have serveral 12ga guns, mainly target models, I always select a 16ga to chase quail, and pheasant because of grandpa. When I take it to the skeet field guys in my age group always say wow is that sxs a 16ga. Then they handle it and shoot it and say this is great. So, once again all you dads, and grandpas buying your son or daughter a first upland gun, make it a 16 and keep the sweet sixteen sweet for years to come.