16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Lengthen chambers ??
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:53 am  Reply with quote

Question for all you 16ga experts and lovers.

I've got a Fox Sterly that is in real nice shape with most of all the orig CC etc.
It has 2 9/16" chambers. I'm thinking of sending it to Mike Orlen and having the chambers lengthened so I can shoot RGLs out of it w/o issue.
I know some will say to shoot them anyway but I'd rather do it correctily if I'm going to shoot them. Right now I shoot RST 2.5" shells. A bit more costly but I had a good supply of them.

My question is this: Should I alter an all original Sterly or not? I don't plan on selling it anytime soon but ya never know.
If I alter the originality of the barrels, how much will that affect the value of the resale?

OK, 2 questions.

thanks for any imput.

Terry Imai
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

I was going purchase a 12 gauge 2 3/4" Citori (from a distributor in England) and have them lengthen the chambers to 3". Luckily, my local gunsmith who is from England told me the process that they follow in England. You buy the gun and the smith lengthens the chambers. They take the gun to the local "proof" house and run a lot of ammo through the gun. Basically, if the gun can handle the appropriate number of rounds of a established amount of chamber pressure, it passes the proof test. At any time the gun breaks, cracks or whatever, the gun of course doesn't pass the proof. What I was warned is that I had to purchase the gun before getting it proofed. I was told a Citori "should" pass the proof test but I didn't feel like purchasing a gun and go through all of this hassle. I ended up buying a 3" Citori in the U.S. I guess what I'm saying is that the restrictions in the U.S. for gunsmiths to proof a gun seems to be a little more lax than in England and I would be very hesitant shooting a gun where it didn't go through the required proof test. Just the very idea of sticking our face right behind the action and having some problems with the gun scares the heck out of me.....
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I think that an unaltered gun is worth more, as a collector item. But, only more valuable to a purist. The Sterly was/is a very nice gun. BUT, it was an entry level gun in its heyday. My question is... does a purist collector want a Sterly?

On the other hand, if you lengthen the forcing cones and glass bed the stock, you'll greatly increase it's shootability, and reliability. That would increase its desirability to a more vast number of shooters.

If it were mine, I'd lengther the cones, glass bed the stock and install a pad.The pad will probably do the most damage to resale value.

Or, put her in the back of the safe and buy mine.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

PGG,

I appreciate the comments and offer but: I just be a po wurkin man. Can't 'ford any of them thar fancy shootin irons. Razz

I guess the more I think about it I might just as well leave it alone and use the 2.5" shells for the few times a year I take it out.

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
For what it's worth, I think that an unaltered gun is worth more, as a collector item. But, only more valuable to a purist. The Sterly was/is a very nice gun. BUT, it was an entry level gun in its heyday. My question is... does a purist collector want a Sterly?

On the other hand, if you lengthen the forcing cones and glass bed the stock, you'll greatly increase it's shootability, and reliability. That would increase its desirability to a more vast number of shooters.

If it were mine, I'd lengther the cones, glass bed the stock and install a pad.The pad will probably do the most damage to resale value.

Or, put her in the back of the safe and buy mine.

In a few short hours, I received several PM's about my gun. I was joking. As of right now, it is not for sale. I paid $2500.00 including tax for her, and that is a lot to pay for a Sterly. If I sell her, I'll want all of it back. But, if someone has a nice Prussian Daly or a prewar model 17 Sauer...

brdhnt
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

TCJ,

I know of two Sterly's and one LC that had the chambers lenghtened. The LC works with anything. Both of the Sterly's are still limited to lower pressure ammo to ensure reliable extraction. I don't know why this is so, but since the work was done by different gunsmiths, I would wonder if the problem lies in the design instead of in the chamber length. I know of another 2 1/2" Sterly that the owner regularly uses 2 1/2" shells loaded as high as 10,000 psi with no problems with extraction.

B&P's 16 gague ammo is designed to be used in 2 9/16" chambers. I have two old Browning A-5's and a Remington Model 11 with the 2 9/16" chambers and the B&P stuff has worked fine in all three.

Just my experience.

TMB
________
Bond insurance dicussion

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

PGG why you got the lead line to a Merkel commercial(or RBL) over that fox name?

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
PGG why you got the lead line to a Merkel commercial(or RBL) over that fox name?

I'd like to respond to that... "Duh"???

britgun
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

Unless YOU are a collector, I'd lengthen the chambers OR reload (roll your own) and load 'em nice and light (under 7000) and even if your reloads are 2 3/4 shells, you will be fine as frog's hair....

TJC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

Ahhh, what to do, what to do.

I appreciate all the replies and thank you for the imput.

I don't HAVE to lengthen the chambers as I have other guns that I use a lot more than I do this gun. So maybe the best thing is to just keep using the 2.5" shells when I use it and keep using the Merkels for the everyday serious work. Wink

Hey Huns, speaking of which did you get my PM about the 2.5" shells?
So far the prices on the website are the same as they were before.

hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

I did, just flat out. doing the next 3 nights in Providence o get this dumb ass all job done. God I hate customers.
Can you order up for me? I'll get you the mix. And a cc# to charge thm to.

Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:57 am  Reply with quote

TJC
It is not going to hurt your gun / you to shoot 2 3/4" ammo in the 2 9/16" chambers. I have a room full of them. Forcing cone lengthing does little for a guns pattern and nothing for recoil. I like to leave them original but its a Guy's choice cause he owns the horse Exclamation
pumpgun
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with Captain Billy. Sherman Bell debunked the myth that shooting
2 3/4 inch shells in 2 1/2 inch 12g chambers created dangerous pressures. I would not, however, shoot factory 2 3/4 shells in a short chambered gun, in that it likely was not designed for SAAMI spec loads. But handloaded shells under ~7500 psi should be fine. A friend does this regularly with a Prussian Daly SxS, and I'd feel comfortable doing it with a 16g in good working order.
Chrisss31
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about 3/16" of chamber. I don't think it would hurt the value much, but it isn't necessary. I have a Parker 16 that I have shot thousands of Remington 1oz. game loads through without a problem. 2 1/2" or 2 5/8" I would say definately not, but 2 9/16" all day long.
twopipe
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:15 am  Reply with quote

TJC:

Well, for what it's worth - I'd continue to use the RST's in the gun. Since I first tried them years ago, I have not been using anything else in my doubles, REGARDLESS of chamber length. The moderate pressures and superb patterns make them well worth the slight extra cost.

I use them in 20, 16 and 12 ga in all doubles, for everything from grouse to pheasant.

Just my opinion! Roy