16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Cheapest completely custom made O/U 16 gauge?
gw-smith
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

This is a weird question probably but I've been looking at O/U 16 gauges lately and wondered what the cheapest high-end completely custom made gun would be?

Cheap and custom-made are not words that normally go together I understand but some are more expensive than others. I'm thinking of guns that I could custom order with exact barrel and stock dimensions and maybe even my choice of engraving. Then 12 months or so later I'd have a gun.

An Abbiatico and Salvenelli (FAMARS) Excalibur comes to mind somewhere in the low 20K range. Anything less expensive (in the 10-20K range or less) that would fit this same specifications?

This would be strictly for a hunting gun.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:56 pm  Reply with quote

Since your requirements are fairly straight forward check out Mark DeHaans offerings at www.dhshotguns.com
bigkev
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

If you are considering Famar's guns, then you will not be satisfied with a Huglu. They are good guns for the money, but no where near in the class of Famars in my opinion. They are beautiful guns. I have a friend that has a couple.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

Generally Spanish bespoke guns come in at 1/2 to 2/3 the price of similar quality Italians.
The 2 makers that come to mind are Kemen and AyA. I think the others only make SxSs.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
gw-smith
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

I had no idea AyA made O/U's. I have a #2 (SxS) that I've had for years - great gun. I've played with DeHaan's a little and that's not really what I've got in mind.
gw-smith
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

From 10 minutes of on-line research - neither the Kemen or the AyA come in a 16 gauge. Only 12's and 20's - looks like they are catering primarily to the sporting (clay shooter) market. I want a 16.
nutcase
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

B. Rizzini would probably be the most customizable at a "cheap" price. The DeHaan may be cheaper but if weight is an issue I don't know if their O/U would be the way to go.

With the Rizzini you would be able to choose stock configuration and dimensions, single or double triggers, regular, round action or sideplated model, receiver finish, upgraded wood, solid or vented rib and probably the forend style. Barrel lengths up to 30".

Would probably cost from maybe $4,000.00 to $20,00.00 depending on which model you start with and which options you choose.

Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:56 pm  Reply with quote

I had a custom Merkel made in 20 gauge U/O a couple of years ago before they made the 2116 16 gauge on the 20 gauge frame. About 6 weeks ago I unpacked my 16 gauge barrels so now have a two barrel set. The stock was fitted by a Merkel Master Stock Maker, the engraving is of my dogs hunting (done from photos) and every other specification from grade of wood to weight of barrels was my choice. I would have no idea what the price would be for the USA but my guess that with just one set of barrels with the custom stock it would be in the $10 - $12k mark.

Ross
brdetr
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:15 am  Reply with quote

J.D. Jansma should be able to help you out. Follow this link and give them a call. http://www.wingshootingadv.com/Contact.html I have no interest in the business. I have been a satisfied customer. They know Spanish and English guns. Tell J.D. I sent you.

Brian Erickson

Trigg
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

I have to second the notion that the B. Rozzini over and under on the fairly new 16 gauge frame customs with custom dimensions in the higher grades. I think you will find it at Rizzini USA in the 780, 782, 790, and 792 EMEL grades. There are a lot of choices as to game rive, vented rib, straight grip, prince of wales grip, fixed chokes or tubes etc.
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

The cheapest fully custom made 16 O/U is the Browning Superpose from FN. They can be had with so many options that the gun can easily be 25K but the B125 is around 10K.

There is a new importer for the Browning Supers PM me if you are interested and I'll put you in contact with him.