16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Choke Update - Mike Orlen
gjw
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi all, heres an update to my post on choke constrictions. I e-mailed Mike Orlen last night and he replied within an hour. When I asked him if it were possible to get my barrels back by 6 Sep if I sent them by 20 Aug he said, "No problem, you'll have them" Needless to say I'm impressed!!!

I know that I should pattern the gun and I will (the gun is being shipped today, should be here Friday). This gives me the weekend to pattern. From what I understand, Ugartechea's tend to be choked tighter than marked. So we will see.

If I do open them up after this. Heres what I plan, leave the right bbl at .008 and have the left opened to .017.

What say you about this?

Thanks so much for all the advise and help!!!

Greg
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:23 pm  Reply with quote

Good article on Mike's work on this month's Shooting Sportsmen that just came out. The problem with opening chokes is once it's done, there is not alot you can do if you find out that you make a mistake by opening your chokes up. If it was my gun (I was in a similar situation a few years ago), I would shoot the gun for the entire season and under all conditions to really determine what choke setup works best for you. Wild birds are easier to get at opening day than towards the end of the season where it nice to have that slightly tighter pattern. You can always open up your pattern by either using spreader loads or going to a smaller shot size. Nothing I hate more is hitting a bird but not dropping it because I didn't have enough pattern density. I can always give away half a beat for an easy bird and it still nice to have a tighter pattern for a running/wild flush bird. Of course, if this is a preserve gun only, then don't mind my post...
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with Terry. Especially if you re-load. Become familiar with the gun and the various ammo you will shoot and how it patterns before making a decision.

Matt
hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

Greg, why not just do it with the rasp that came with your starter gunsmith kit, you got on ebay Wink Wink

fred lauer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it, what exactly will you be shooting mostly? 8 and 17 will make you a nice grouse gun or early roosters. If you are hunting pheasants for the entire season with this gun, I'd say you've already got the perfect chokes as is. I use 2 , 16 Sterlingworths to cover the entire season. One choked IC and skeet1 and one choked Mod and Full. Maybe it's just a good excuse to have 2 guns. However if I only wanted to work one pheasant gun, I'd go with the chokes you already have. Happy hunting,Fred