16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Advantages of a 16ga
hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

maybe 25 straight on the crack pipe. Even sprocket doesn't remeber you shooting that. Shocked Shocked
Hot tubbs nice, as well as the single malt, now the boss got steaktips on the grill.

Now old whats her name is making me rub lotion on her back, will the torture never nd Wink Wink

Tried to call but you had all the gate keepers up

CoveyRise
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your input. In response to Terry, I am shooting upland game (mostly pheasant) in the Northeast. To be honest with you, shooting a 12 ga. is really not practical for me. My father has shot for years and only owns a 20 and a 28 and my grandfather, who has shot for twice as long, only uses his 12's when he is in England and we shoot in the same area. As for the 12 ga. pump you suggested, I hate to sound like a snob, but honestly, I would never consider using, let alone buying, a pump.

Is it generally considered by the board that the DeHaan is the best in my price range? Or are there other options? Whats the verdict on CZ and Tristar?
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

CoveyRise wrote:
Thanks to everyone for your input. In response to Terry, I am shooting upland game (mostly pheasant) in the Northeast. To be honest with you, shooting a 12 ga. is really not practical for me. My father has shot for years and only owns a 20 and a 28 and my grandfather, who has shot for twice as long, only uses his 12's when he is in England and we shoot in the same area. As for the 12 ga. pump you suggested, I hate to sound like a snob, but honestly, I would never consider using, let alone buying, a pump.

Is it generally considered by the board that the DeHaan is the best in my price range? Or are there other options? Whats the verdict on CZ and Tristar?

Are you looking new or used ?? De Haan makes a very nice, although heavy shotgun, at least, as per their website. You may want to call and double check the weights.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
CoveyRise
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

I wouldn't a used gun if I could get better quality than a new for a good value. Do you recommend any makers I could find used?
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

CoveyRise wrote:
I wouldn't a used gun if I could get better quality than a new for a good value. Do you recommend any makers I could find used?

I like 80 year old German guns. Seems to be addictive, lately. But that may not be your cup of tea. How about used Brownings ??

older Merkels, and Simpsons are around in your range. The early American economy doubles are real nice in 16 ga. also. And, built like a tank. Early Fox Sterly's and field grade Elsies can be had easily enough. But be careful, those suckers can get addictive. Also, you may want to only digest low pressure loads. Something else that can become addictive if you're recoil sensitive. Most older guns will be choked tighter than you will probably like. Modern loads just pattern better. So, you'll be looking at opening chokes.

Good luck.

sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

Jeebus - I too took one across the bow from Sir D'Oh! of Thuuudd too.

Coveyrise: I suggest the DeHaan/CZ if you intend to do any waterfoul or don't want to mess with low pressure loads (read: shoot off the shelf ammo).

In the used market, you may want to stay modern - say 80's and up - if you go older than you might have some issues with steel shot - if you go pre-1940 you may have high pressure issues.

The vintage doubles get addictive but it can be fun too.

Do not discount some of the O/U guns out there - check out the Browning and do a search for Marlin 90's...

I personally went pre-40's but on the order of "Hardware Store Gun" so I carry a pry bar that shoots 16ga. shells. My next will be well thought out and vintage as well but I am better educated than when I started out.

If you're so inclined, get a knock-about or beater gun first and see if the sxs is what you really want. Skip all the BS about fit until you get serious about the sxs, then do it right - all the way right.

Where in the Northeast are you - at least give us a state so we can make fun you/be ashamed of where we are...seriously - If you come to Mass, I'll take you out hunting in the spot I know.

Welcome on the board.

And if TJC went 25/25 on 5-stand why is this the first I've heard of it? Surely there would have been some mention of it next door...
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Larry Brown is the resident expert on the early American doubles. Shoot him a PM, or look in Shooting Sportsman mag a few months ago for an article. Sometime last Spring. Someone may have the issue and tell you exactly which one.

CoveyRise
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

I'm in central/northern NJ. Let the ridicule commence...
hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Covey I got my best g-friend from jersy, so I'll only ribb you a bit.

Stopped at Ktp tonight looking for you. They have a skb 100 20ga for 750. Borring wood, but a nice enough gun. Nothing else really, but my 2 sales guys were off tonight. I'll put a bug in thier ear, if your really intrested in a vintage 16
If you haven't found something by turkey day, I'll bring a few down for you to shoot.

CoveyRise
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Appreciate the help.
16'er
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:38 pm  Reply with quote

Don't discount the pump gun right off. I had looked down at them for quite a while myself. That was before I had any experience with either the Ithaca Model 37 or the winchester model 12. I now own a 37R, and have been watching several model 12's in 16ga on G'broker...

BTW, I've got a stevens 16ga 311 listed in the classified section right now.. Wink
sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
BTW, I've got a stevens 16ga 311 listed in the classified section right now.. Wink

And that's the type of "entry level" I was talking about, especially if you can keep it in the family so to speak...
Foursquare
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:05 am  Reply with quote

CoveyRise wrote:
I'm in central/northern NJ. Let the ridicule commence...

Still beind enemy lines, my condolences.
It took me 29 years to escape from the Garden State Gulag. It was well worth the effort.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:09 am  Reply with quote

Since you indicated that you live in N.J., I'm assuming that you're shooting your phesants off a preserve. No issue from me on that because a guy needs to do what a guy needs to do... IMHO, the best handling and quality pump shotgun ever made in this country was the model 12. If you could get your hands on one that isn't too beat up, there is a feel and sound that is sorely missing in American products nowdays. Given your preference to shooting a double, unless you have access to a good gunsmith who knows their way around doubles; I would be very hesitant to purchase too old of a double. The Spanish and Italian make/made some very nice S/S for the money and are reasonably durable. However, shotguns are still like cars and trucks. You would take your BMW sedan off road and a Dodge 4X4 around a race track. Shotguns are the same. It's nice to have your desiginated clays gun where you could put several thousand rounds a season through it and have your field gun for hunting. I'm not saying to shoot your nice field gun on clays to sharpen up but the components are different between target and field guns. Target guns are walked little and shot alot while field guns are walked plenty and shot little. The gun makers had to do alot to get their guns around the 6-6 1/2 lbs mark. If you need a shotgun right now, you can pick up a used SKB for a reasonable price and resell at a later time. Then you can bide your time to look for the gun that will be your prized possession. My buddy came accross a gorgeous Poli on an estate sale that had #1 engraving with gorgeous wood. He got that gun for $1500 under its actual selling price. They're deals out there to be made but patience is really the key here....

Good luck
XVI'er
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:07 am  Reply with quote

Covey Rise, my younger brother, Wink If you want an inexpensive 16 bore, please check out the Tristars in SxS. I own one, and have about 2100 rounds through mine. Not to bore my other brothers on this board with yet another post on this subject, please PM me if you want a current appraisal of what I have discovered about this under rated gun. You can also look on Shotgunworld forums and find the old threads under the search function or go back a page on the thread about 16 SxS at Cabelas, where I did a mini post.
Ol' Southern Lawyer owns a 20 and a 16 bore also and we are of a like mind on our opinions of these guns.[/list]