16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  I am a lucky man . . .
shinbone
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

I just received a $3000 bonus from my boss for all my extra sweat and toil this year.

This unexpected and welcome surprise is wholly dedicated to a new shotgun, preferably in 16ga, and I am asking you 16ga Forumers for suggestions.

To put this shotgun selection in context, my collection currrently includes a Browning Citori Lightning Feather in 12ga and in 16ga, a Winchester 101 in 12ga and two in 20ga, a 12g Merkel Model 8, a 12ga Miroku Model 500, and a 12ga J.C. Higgins Model 100. At some point in the near future, I plan to sell off most of this inventory and keep just 2 or 3 of my favorites.

I am primarily a hunter who also shoots a few hundred rounds at sporting clays per month between hunting seasons. Since my main interest is hunting, I prefer to use my hunting arms when on the sporting clays field (in other words, I don't have a burning desire for a dedicated clays gun). So far, I am liking the O/Us more than than the SxSs. I haven't been bitten by the repeater bug, yet, either. I would prefer a 16ga, but am willing to consider other gauges.

I do both waterfowl and upland hunting (although the new shotgun won't be expected to do both). Consequently, I appreciate a gun that can digest steel and tungsten shot with interchangeable chokes. I prefer my waterfowl guns to be more utilitarian due to the muddy conditions in most duck blinds. I don't mind a little extra bling in my upland guns, but I am still more of a "form follows function" kind of guy (put another way, while I do admire intricate engraving and highly figured wood as beautiful art, it is not my prefrence for my hunting-oriented guns).

Additionally, I have no particular preference between a new gun and a used gun in good condition (although I do like getting the most value for my money). Hunting for a particular used gun can be a lot of fun, too.

Since I have $3000 to spend on one gun, and I already have a good collection of good hunting guns, I would like to "kick it up a notch" with my next purchase. Something, that to me at least, would be the "crown jewel" of my collection (but within my $3000 budget).

Considering what I already own, my preference for versitile simple high-qualty hunting O/Us, my willingness to buy new or used, and my $3000 budget, what shotgun would you recommend for me?

Thanks!

--shinbone.

Last edited by shinbone on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

nutcase
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:34 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Not many choices when you're talking 16ga O/U.

High grade Citori. FAIR 600 or 900. Cortona(FAIR) Prestige. Rizzini Aurum & Artemis(fixed chokes).

Someone I'm sure will mention a custom Dehann but if their website is accurate the 16ga O/U's are too heavy by at least a pound, fixed choke also.

I have a Rizzini Aurum Light with IC/MOD chokes. I think it's a great gun and the chokes aren't an issue for me. You could have someone install choke tubes if you absolutely had to have them.

Terry Imai
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot an O/U Browning Citori for clays and decent weather waterfowl. If the weather is bad or I may shoot geese along with ducks, I pull out my Berreta auto because it's easier to change out ammo while in the blind and clean if it gets drenched with water. Now it's time to discuss upland game. If you shoot mostly birds other than wild pheasants, a nice 16 gauge S/S may fit the bill. I don't know how you shoot a S/S but I prefer it for wild birds when you get unpredictable flushes. It just seems you can get a wider selection of European or American S/S than compared to finding a decent 16 gauge O/U. Given the weight and balance of most current 16 gauge O/U, a nice European and/or British S/S around 6 1/2 lbs sounds just perfect.

Last edited by Terry Imai on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
16'er
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

In your current collection what would the first two guns to let go?? If your going to downsize and you know which guns would go first, I'd move those while looking for the next jewel. That way you would have a little more budget and have a nicer gun in your collection...

AyA 16ga box lock ~$2700 ??

28ga rizzini (IRRC) round body game gun?? (would need to add some cash here as quality arms lists one at around 5k, so moving a couple of guns would be needed)

moving a couple guns would get you to start looking at some of the spanish 16ga sidelocks.. AyA, Arietta, etc Or a nice merkel.

I think at the 3K mark you will have a hard time finding a gun that truely "stands above" your other guns.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

Isn't Geruni(sp) making a 16 o/u??
I agree, if your going move a couple anyhow, move them now and really get a nice whatever.

shinbone
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:38 am  Reply with quote

It sounds like the consensus is that my $3000 budget isn't enough to make much of an upgrade over what I already have. Which I guess means that for my purposes what I already have is reasonably good.

I guess I'll just use what I got for awhile, and then decide which ones to sell off. Maybe then I'll have an idea of what would be a good addition to the collection.

Last edited by shinbone on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:39 am; edited 3 times in total

Grousen
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:39 am  Reply with quote

Check out this Browning Citori Lightning Field, Grade III, 16 gauge, with 28" barrels and choke tubes:

www.gunsamerica.com/976880635/Guns/Shotguns/Browning-Shotguns/Over-Unders/Citori/Hunting/Lightning_Field_16_ga_2.htm

I suspect he won't come down from the $2699 price tag. But it has been available for a while, and it sure is a beauty. If I had the money it would have been sold a while ago. Good luck.
shinbone
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:35 am  Reply with quote

Grousen - That is a great looking 16ga Citori. The wood is striking! Thanks for the lead.

--shinbone

16'er
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:26 am  Reply with quote

Just to confuse things $3K is just about right for a nice, but not afraid to hunt with, SweetSixteen A-5 AND a Superlight Feather Citori 16ga....

I love spending other people's money!
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:41 am  Reply with quote

Love my FAIR 900, and Cabela's has them in 16 on the "sale rack" at $2.800. Don't know that they'd be an upgrade for you, though. If CG does come out with a 16, I'll be at the dealer's in a flash. They make a nifty O/U for the money.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:31 pm  Reply with quote

shinbone,When in doubt,stock up on shells. Wink

shinbone
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:06 pm  Reply with quote

Fred - Thanks for the suggestion. I did just that at the local Dick's this morning.

Continuing with the gun acquisition idea - maybe my starting specifications are a little too narrow and I need to branch out some. I've heard good things about the Merkel 1620. It is out of my price range, but may be worth making the extra $tretch.

I am now wondering if a Merkel 1620 in 16ga with english stock and double triggers might fit in perfect with my collection. Anyone have any thoughts to add?

Thanks.

--shinbone

TJC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

shin,
I would have suggested adding a few $$$ and getting a 1620 but you didn't seem to interested in SxSs.

Go for the Merkel. You can pick up a new 1620 for around $3800.

jig
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:49 am  Reply with quote

Well, since you are wanting an O/U I would suggest either a Browning 525 High Grade Field. The gun will digest anything and do anything. It will also be beautiful doing it. You may also want to consider the new Browning GTS high grade, yet another beautiful and versatile gun. It is advertised as both a field gun and target gun. It has the non ported bbls and field type rib.

I have owned one and it really did do everything good.

Take a look at the Ceasar Guerini O/U's too. They are nice guns with reputedly great customer service.
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:50 am  Reply with quote

I could 2nd the Ceasar vote but if you want a 16ga you are going to have quite a wait. Crying or Very sad