16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Chicagoland hunting
Grouser
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:58 am  Reply with quote

I am moving to Chicago and would appreciate any tips on bird hunting within 3 hours of the windy city. I have hunted in Central and Southern Ill, and Iowa, but know nothing about Northern Ill and Wisconsin. Is there a gamebird within 90 miles of Kane County...decent hunt club?

Grouser
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

Welcom to Chicago Grouser.

There are several state owned areas within a couple hours of the City. You should go to the DNR website to do a little reaserch. Actually, if i remeember correctly the hunting regs have maps and sit specifics in the back, make sure you grab a copy when you get your liscense.

Good luck,
Mark
Grouser
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Great to hear that there is life out there. 102 hits, 1 response! I was beginning to be concerned that I'd have to trade in my 16s for a 9mm and join the gangbanger society. I'll be moving to St. Charles, so perhaps I'll see you around.

Another question, my wife claims that she has seen people fly fishing in the Fox River. Any idea what they're after...smallmouth, carp?

Regards,
Grouser
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

"Any idea what they're after...smallmouth, carp?"....Yup, a lot of ridicule!!!

Seriously though, I have lived within a couple of blocks of that river nearly all my life, it is a wonderful Smallmouth fishery! And yes, those folks swinging the flys are after the Smallies but nearly anything will take them.

My biggest fish on the fly was about a 12lb Carp caught a few years back.

Usually go with a small gold spinner though and wade, Smallies, Cats, White/Yellow Bass and Drum are the usual victims with that. Occasional Walleye/Sauger, Crappie, Largemouth and Muskie are to be had as well.

Let me know when you settle in.
Mark
Grouser
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

Mark,

It will be a few months before we're settled. Until then we'll be renting a house in S. Elgin so the kids can attend SC schools.

I was pleasantly surprised while house hunting, the area has a nice mix of farm and urban living. I saw 3 big gobblers picking gravel and made the real estate agent double back for a second look.

Any word on the St. Charles shoot club in Elburn? I don't shoot trap or skeet, but sporting clays are alway fun.

Best Regards,
Grouser
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

GOBBLERS!?!?!?

Few and far between in the "Tri-Cities" of the Fox River Valley....but not unheard of, and huntable in some areas that are within an hour or so drive.

St. Charles Sportsman's Club is a place I go to a few times a year, is very close, inexpensive, and although I am not a member have never felt out of place. They have Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand and Clays but am not really qualified to say about the quality of the presentations. Would be more than willing to meet you out there for a round or two though.

Gimme a call sometime, would be more than willing to answer any questions you have. Weekends are best, 312.408.8020.

Best,
Mark