16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  model 311
hnterboy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:28 am  Reply with quote

I have just purchused a model 311a stevens 16 ga. There is no serial # on it, only M E and A J (these 2 letters each have a circle around them) are stamped on the receiver bottom, barrle flats, and forearm metal, also there is #148 with a circle around it stammped in the receiver bottom. Does anyone know or information about this shotgun and why there is no serial # on it. Thank you. hnterboy
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

It was made prior to the reguirement, that all firearms must have a serial number.

I have a Savage/ Fox B 16 gauge that has no number. At least your is marked 311A, this was the first series of the 311's. I have a 311H in 12 gauge which was the last series I believe. My 311H S/N dates it to 1962.

The 311 R( Riot gun it had rifle sights) was the law enforcement version. The 311/410 is the rare piece, one in good condition can be worth $900.00 to $1000.00.

I am not a collector, just a shooter. 311's are the tank of SXS's. Some discribe the 311 as the Shotgun which has a two pipes on a two by Four.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Lefty--I bet your sherrif has a few 311R's in his inventory Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing
Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

I am sure Sheriff Joe knows how to use them. Wink He sure has the Illegal's stired up around these parts. Laughing
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Hnter,

The letters are production codes; all they really tell you is that the parts with the letters are original to the gun. The circle with the number; is there a letter in the circle also? Savage started using date codes in 1949; usually a circle with a letter and a number. The number is an inspector's number; the letter is a date code, A=1949, B=1950, etc.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
L Kenney
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:34 am  Reply with quote

I posted this question on the SSM board but since the subject of 311s came up I'll ask here too. What's the difference, apart from case coloring and checkering, between 311s and 530s? Are the guns the same internally?