PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody got a dog like this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNM2QRqXPUY
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

I don't blame him, I wouldn't jump in that dirty water either. Laughing

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Up until 5 years ago I've alwlays had Springers who I couldn"t keep out of the pool. Then I got a French Brittany and she won't go in water above her belly. Unfortunately, she's not as smart as the dog in the video! Shocked

Matt
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

That's what happens when the instinct is taken out of the dog Evil or Very Mad Too much cross/inbreeding these days ---going with the current craze instead of keeping the bloodline pure Embarassed
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:30 pm  Reply with quote

Should have bought a Pudelpointer! Wink
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:08 am  Reply with quote

Smart mutt. Could be the new breed of waterfowl dog----that retrieves out of it's own little boat Exclamation
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

There are always some idiots that take their lab puppies and throw them in the water thinking that is how one introduces them to water. Shocked I coax my pups into the water with me or a family member standing in the water. Then let the pup proceed at their own pace. My current lab puppy was introduced this way and now is a swimming fool. Very Happy

MGF
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:46 am  Reply with quote

Highcountry wrote:
There are always some idiots that take their lab puppies and throw them in the water thinking that is how one introduces them to water. Shocked I coax my pups into the water with me or a family member standing in the water. Then let the pup proceed at their own pace. My current lab puppy was introduced this way and now is a swimming fool. Very Happy

Yep. My bro and I once introduced a Lab pup to the water by wading and splashing around and having loud fun until the little guy could stand it no longer and came to see what the fun was about. Then we stayed fairly close to each other and just had 'em swim back and forth to each other and praised him to high heaven each time. Became a hellacious water dog. Was a driven uplander, too. Dog was a mid-sized, muscled male and just a beautiful athlete. My bro swears the dog would give him dirty looks when he missed a shot.
Flawaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

One of my hunting buddies has a GSP that is a fantastic dog... she just wont swim a lick... if she can touch bottom shes' fine but she REFUSES to swim.

Considering the gators, vipers, and Lord knows what else that lurks in our waters I can't say I blame her.

Last year we took her to a local river for a walk-in hunt. We started with the uplands for a try at quail (yeah right...no quail left in N. FLA). Then ended down in the bottoms for an afternoon wood duck shoot.

Right after setting up, we have a nice wad of woodrows come in... I double with my little Beretta O/U and my partner downs a single as well.

Dog looks at us like we lost our minds.... birds floating by... what to do, what to do, what to do... I aint't gonna lose those birds 'cause your prima donna birddog wont go for a swim...

I strip down and go 'fetch em up' ! My first marked triple retrieve Smile Really glad that there were not any fishermen on the water that day...

Got a new nickname outta the deal... "Buck Nekked"

Cant wait for this upcoming spring and my new family member....a lab pup!
JD
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:36 am  Reply with quote

I had a standad poodle I was training as a water dog. Loved to retrieve,loved the birds and the sound of a shotgun. Got the dog at 6 months,l he had ived on a farm chasing birds, but he was shy of people and the big city.
When I sent him for a water retrieve in running warer he was straight out back, you could not ask for more. Then one day we moved to deeper water. He was great for a while, out of the blue he started tiptoeing to make the retrieve. As long as his back legs would touch he would tip toe until all you would see was his eyes and nose. I made a maywest out of two liter bottles worked him that way for two weeks swam him in the river for miles, I would just walk a long and he would follow. Went back to the pond he was ok until he touched the bottom, then back to tiptoeing. I trade him to a friend who had a clothing store for a $1000 Itialian suit. He was a great house dog and pet.
I trained another one to work, a good dog,fast smart with good eyes. They stay puppies for ever, I can finish a lab by 15 months or so, the poodle was still a puppie then. The coat was great in the house ,no shedding, but you could not get the Louisiana marsh mud out. I even sprayed his coat with afroshine, it worked great but every time I used it he loss 5 IQ points.

JD
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Highcountry wrote:
I coax my pups into the water with me or a family member standing in the water. Then let the pup proceed at their own pace. My current lab puppy was introduced this way and now is a swimming fool. Very Happy

Exactly what I did with my one Drahthaar. Although I didn't do it until she was 2. It still worked though. A little coaxing and a toy that she liked was too much for her. Started walking in then would stretch her neck to get the toy. So next time I would push the toy out a bit more.
Finally it was just out of her reach so I gave her a little push. She quickly grabbed it then headed for shore.
After that, you can't throw the toy into the lake far enough. She jumps in and then swims like a duck. Very Happy

Since then she has made some nice water retrieves on pheasants that have gone down in the streams and rivers near where I hunt.

sothere
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:19 am  Reply with quote

I picked up my new pup in mid august.He was the one sleeping in a half full water dish.3 weeks later(@ under 3 months) wife and daughter took him down to the local sand pit and he never broke stride.He's been out chasing roosters,pointing and airing anything that flies.House training on the other hand has been less than a walk in the park/ switch grass .