16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Strange 530A SxS 16ga Stevens
razerface
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:04 am  Reply with quote

Hi, I bought this 16ga yesterday at Kenton Coon Dog Trials. It sure has pretty wood. Someone replaced it,,not original. The strange part is serial numbers. There are no numbers, just letters inside of circles. All parts match.

Anybody ever seen this before? It is marked as a stevens 530A, which my gun book seems to know nothing about. Take a look at pics. First time with photo's,,,hope I did it right. thanks

edited to try to get rid of big space under pic. nope didn't work.

Last edited by razerface on Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
M D Christian
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:54 am  Reply with quote

Your gun was made before 1968 and therefore, not required by law to have a serial number.. MDC
razerface
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

The "Blue Book of Gun Values" has no info on this model. Any scource you guys know of?

Also, the "brazing" holding the barrels and rib together, was not really perfect. The brazing shows the whole lenght of barrells, top and bottom. Apparently, this did not take bluing so there is uneven gold colored line down each side of rib. Any way to cover these without polising it all off and rebluing? I think you can see example in one pic under barrel. Not as bad on top, but shows more then I like.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Quality wood---I am guessing it is mod+full?
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

I note the forend wood is stamped so its original. The ck'er'g matches the butt's--------you sure its a replacement ? I have never seen a 530 with that nice a wood. Your right on the brazing Stevens did. Guess they made so many 5000,5100 and 311's they just didn't have time to dress them up. I have a 235 16ga. that was bought in the late 20's and the brazing is messy too. Can't say Stevens was stingy with the brazing rod. They are good shooters just ain't too handsome. I woulda bought the gun you did in a heartbeat, what did you give for it? Somewhere I have the Stevens date codes and if I find them I'll ck. your guns letters for date. Good luck and enjoy it. Smile
razerface
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

well,,,I paid too much probably,,,,$485 Around here, a regular wood stevens with ugly wood goes $250-300 or so.

It's just when you see it in person,, the pics look bad! I mean this wood is gorgous!!!

Case colors are 100%,,been redone 100%

More then I've ever seen a Stevens sell for. I had a weak knee'd moment when I looked at the wood.

Chokes are (with junk calipers) .643 & .650
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:49 pm  Reply with quote

Nice! The letters won't tell you anything; they're just production codes. If it's a 530 it definitely predates any date codes, which started in 1949. Pretty cool gun, if you ask me. I'da prolly bought it. Have fun with it; that gun ought to be shot!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
razerface
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:25 am  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
If it's a 530 it definitely predates any date codes, which started in 1949.

Fin

The other markings I found on reciever, in front of trigger guard are 18C inside circle (real tiny). I guess that means 1951, but you think 530A is before 1949?

Side is marked "Model 530A".

Other side marked with Chicopee Falls address, dog hunting, ect.
M D Christian
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:48 am  Reply with quote

Razer: Without sounding too critical of your purchase, which is nearly impossible to do, I don't think the gun left the factory, with the solder like that..MDC
razerface
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:27 am  Reply with quote

M D Christian wrote:
Razer: Without sounding too critical of your purchase, which is nearly impossible to do, I don't think the gun left the factory, with the solder like that..MDC

None of this gun left the factory like it is now,,,,,,, Stevens never saw wood like this. The gun has been redone 100%. The brazing is the only thing that is not done well. It looks solid,, just didn't "stay inside the lines" I'll have to fix it or it will drive me crazy.

I normally do not buy, or even like Stevens shotguns. The stocks have always turned me off. My hands fit spanish and european shotgun stocks. The American stocks seem square and bulky.

Other then the brazing, this is a really nice 16ga. I can get it polished off and reblued. Thats the plan. I heard "cold bluing" will cover it, but don't think that will satisfy me,,,it would still show the outline and roughness of the braze.

This is one of those guns that I'll have too much money in,,,,,oh well. Done that before. It's all for fun anyway. Aren't hobbies supposed to cost money?

I do like it cause it is not the standard 311 since it is the only Stevens I own.
I bought it for the wood and the 16ga addiction I have.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:23 am  Reply with quote

razerface wrote:
...but you think 530A is before 1949?

Cornell Publications offers a 1934 Stevens parts guide that lists the 530. Can't say how much longer they made it, but it was definitely being made in 1934 or before. That 18C has me wondering though. Is it in a circle or an oval? What does the top lever look like; solid or through bolt?

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
razerface
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not at home right now,,,, but as I remember,, Solid top lever, and oval around 18C. Will check that memory as soon as I get there. Oval or circle means something huh? Are you searching your Stevens brain? Laughing
razerface
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

well, I just got home in time to see my son shooting clay birds out back. I grabbed the Stevens and ran out to get my share of the fun.

Gotta say I was shocked. That thing hits birds as hard as my trap gun. I shot from a down position since it is a hunting gun, and mounts count. I hit 15 in a row before Tom (son) had to try it too. He shot well with it too,,,,which doesn't really count,,,he shoots all shotguns well. 16 yr old eyes and reflexes.

Anyhow, now that I know it'll hit for me, I don't feel so bummed about putting more money in it to fix the cosmetics.

fin2feather, yep, it's oval and lever is solid.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:24 am  Reply with quote

Well, this will take somebody who knows more than me. That sure sounds like a date code, should be 1951. Also, my experience tells me the solid top lever is later than the through bolt one, but I'm not totally sure that's true. But I'm also pretty sure the 530 is an older model designation. Might try posting this over on savagecollectors.com or 24hourcampfire.com and scroll to the Savage collectors forum. Maybe they used up some old parts, which could certainly happen with Savage. Dunno; sorry Embarassed . Still a cool gun tho Very Happy !

Fin

razerface
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:09 am  Reply with quote

don't forget it is 530A. does the A mean anything?