16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Best Load for Quail
slimpickens
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Folks

There has been alot os discussion on Pheasant loads, and I am curious on what the groups favorite quail load is.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

My favorite quail load in 20 ga. is the factory 7/8 oz. Winchester AA #8 skeet load. In 16 ga. it would be the Remington Game Load , 1 oz. #8. I try hard not to shoot quail with a 12 ga.......

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:03 am  Reply with quote

I have used the same 1 ounce load of 71/2s loaded at 1220 fps for years with great sucess, however, since I have been loading and shooting a 7/8ths ounce load loaded at 1130 fps for clays this year I think I will give that a try for singles this year.

I think any load between 7/8ths ounce and one ounce using #7s, 7 1/2s or #8s with a MV of 1100 to 1200 fps will work just fine.
Scolari
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:16 am  Reply with quote

I find 1oz loads of 7 1/2's hard to beat. In late season the Quail often get up ahead of the dog and the 7 1/2's give a little more range.
I hunted with a man who always used 6's. I thought it a little too large, but he killed as many Quail as I did.
JCMorella
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:14 am  Reply with quote

I like #9's in the first shot and #8's in the second for early season birds. As the season moves on, I might go to #8's and # 7 1/2's, but depending upon where I'm going to be. Quail hunting in the Pine Barrens of NJ tends to be an up close game, with fairly open chokes and small shot to preserve what little meat they have.

Although I love my 16's, an ounce of shot on such as little bird is a bit of overkill, so I stick with 3/4 oz. loads in 20 gauge and 5/8's in 28 gauge. I have a sweet 28 gauge Superposed Lightning that just does a number on them.

JCM
k28ga
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:32 am  Reply with quote

3/4 oz. of #8 in a AA or Premier hull with Universal to 1150 fps is a real knock out for quail in northern missouri.

karl
brdhnt
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:42 am  Reply with quote

Here in West Texas we have both bobwhite and blue (scaled) quail. There are a lot of areas where they overlap. By the end of our four month long season, even the bobs are skittish and the shots are usually long since the birds will run and flush even from a point. Here are some favorite loads for quail in our area.

28 gauge - 3/4 ounce 7 1/2's or handload of # 7's.
20 gauge - 1 ounce of 7 1/2's.
16 gauge - I have had very good luck with the Fiocchi Game and Target load of one ounce of 7 1/2's.
12 gauge - one ounce of 7 1/2's early in the season. # 7 handloads later in the season.

CHoke choices are skeet or IC early and skeet II, light mod or mod later.

#7 shot is just about perfect for the blue quail in any gauge. I load about three bags of it in 12,16 and 28 for my friends and I every year.

TMB
________
Suzuki Fz50 Specifications

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
slimpickens
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:09 am  Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the information, we are going to north Texas next month and I am taking my 16 and 28 ga's

Silm