16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Steelshoot -AYA
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:03 am  Reply with quote

JD wrote:
I talked to john at Quailty, He soild me the gun. He got customers shooting steel with the AYA with no problems so far. He does not know how steady of a diet they shoot.

I looked on line for some kent matrix loads or shot. Are they nuts !!!
3.60 or so a round,with shot selling for 7lbs at a 130.00. {About 100 loads}

I own a double rifle in 470, a box of factory ammo is about $275.00 for box of 20. I thought that was sticker shock. (It has never fired factory ammo}
The clerk smiled and asked if i would feel good hunting one of the big five with $2.00 per round ammo. I smilled back and said only I I loaded it.

At $3.60 a shot at woodcock, On a bad day I am looking at 50 bucks per meal just in ammo cost. The world is going nuts!!!

JD

Do you stop and buy a big ole breakfast on your way to the hunting fields? Did you buy a supersize SUV because you needed it for your gear and dogs? Do you enjoy $6 Starbucks coffee? When "hunting for a meal" do you have to stay overnite in a hotel? How many gallons of $3/gallon gas do you burn getting to the hunting fields?

I have never sympathized with those who complain about ammo costs since it such a small part of my hunting outlay.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:53 am  Reply with quote

JD, you have a fine gun designed for and made of materials that have been in use since well before the lead shot non-issue became a political football. Please respect the gun for what it is and use a better alternative like bismouth or tungsten/epoxy matrix shot (not tungsten shot) if you can't use lead. The cost for the number of shells you will use during the average hunting season does not warrant risking your fine gun.

If you insist on or must use steel shot, then get a Remington 16 ga auto or pump; either will handle steel. So will a Browning Citori if you want a double gun. Why risk being penny wise and pound foolish. Your AyA is too valuable to risk just to save a couple of bucks on ammo. You'd be far better off selling it before you end up wrecking it. Just my opinion, but I think most folks would agree with me on this one.
JD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Guys for the advice, it is a shame that we don.'t have more options.
I cancled the order for the steel. Claythingy lighten up, Read my post I am shooting a $4500 shotgun and a $8000 dollar double rifle, do you think the cost of the shells would stop me from shooting the Aya. That post was for your enjoyment. We would not be paying 3.00 for gas or $5.00 for coffee ,if the yuppie's had't paid a $1 for bottled water ,or $5.00 for pop at the show. It is all market mangement. If my DD was to find out, I was paying that for shells, he would bill me for his services! I may just buy a 20 ga. Dehan

JD