16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Dehaan
JD
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

Since I should not shoot steel in my aya. I am thinking hard about the Dehaan SO or maybe even upgradeing a little. I have not seen one , It looks to be a good value, How is the wood to metal fit, how well do they function, and do they swing like a quailty gun. I don't care for black chrome,but it does hold up better than rust blueing.

JD
chorizo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:54 pm  Reply with quote

I have the Huglus (the same base gun that Dehaan takes and "refines" into his guns). I have shot the 200 AC (same as the ringneck that cz has) and it shoots great, functions well, great fit. I like the black chrome and specifically bought the 16 as a foul weather gun and the 12 with screw in chokes for the same thing.

I recommend them. I got mine from TR Imports and they have a greater selection of stocks, engraving and options.

http://www.trimports.com/commerce/ccc1029-side-by-sides.htm

Disclaimer: There will be an avalanche of negative comments about them, but I can only speak from my experience after putting about 2000 rds through the 16 ga and 1500 through the 12. No malfunctions, easy to clean and a good solid gun. A little heavier than most, but not excessively so.

Last edited by chorizo on Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

cvdawley
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

Hi: I recently bought a SO in 28 ga and was very satisfied. I thought their 16 ga was a little heavey compared to my others. I am very accurate with it ,assuming it is the fit and balance
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:36 am  Reply with quote

I have a 20 ga S-2 and an SGr custom gun in 28 ga, and love them. My friend has matching S-2s in 20 and 28 ga and is really happy with his. Some report the 16 ga is a bit heavier than others but balances well.

Who else will give you a seven-day return policy? Check out the DeHaan website at www.dhshotguns.com, and check the forum on Shotgun World. I think you will bem very happy with the gun, and Mark's customer service is the best in the industry.
Gritty
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

JD – I can’t speak personally about the SO, but I do have a DeHaan U4 12ga that I’ve had for a few years. The fit to finish is very good and I have had no problems outside of some routine maintenance. By the way, if you prefer a shiny receiver check out their S2. Also, the matte black barrels are very tough and I would generally recommend those over the polished barrels for hunting.

I have an SGr 16ga on order and expected in October. I guess I like the brand and I would second the comment about Mark DeHaan’s service. It been refreshing to deal with someone (in any industry) who is as customer-friendly as are he and his team.
MunsterMan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:07 am  Reply with quote

i bought a DeHaan SO 12g last fall, love it.. its my duck/goose/late season pheasant hunting gun... I will be buying some more for myself and my son, great handling, nice looking, good metal/wood fit, (ordered with black barrel AND receiver) reliable.. was 10 for 12 shots, two of which were authentic doubles on pheasants. best bang for the buck IMHO

cheers,
MunsterMan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:20 am  Reply with quote

PS... never shot so well with a new gun, in fact, I had my austrian guild 16g bent and tweaked to match the DeHaan.

I am sure my dog will appreciate it when grouse/woodcock hunting this fall so I can reward his hard work and points with a few more retrieves.

all the best,
Scolari
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:11 am  Reply with quote

I just read the latest copy of the magazine Pointing Dog.In it, Larry Brown talks about DeHaan shot guns. He does a very nice review on a 28 ga. He also talks about some other makes and is a well done article. One thing refreshing about the article is that he does give the 16 ga some credit. I noticed some writers just skip the 16 ga altogeather, as if it didn't exist.
MunsterMan
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

not to change this thread.. but Larry was the reason I bought my first 16 (austrian guild) which i dearly love, after reading his article years ago about 16's in DGJ.

It is my gun of choice for most upland stuff. I hope to buy a DeHaan 16 and 28 for myself and another 12 for my son.

anyway, you get a lot of gun for your money, moreso than the CZ, I think.