16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  B. Rizzini 16 ga. Frame
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

Supposedly, B. Rizzini is now making 16 ga. guns on a true 16 ga. frame. Is this true and does anyone own one of these puppies. If so, I am curious as to what the weight and size of these frames are in comparison to the 16s on the 12 ga. frames. Also, is their an easy way to tell these 16s apart (like for example, importer, configuration of gun, model, etc...)?

I have found two of these guns I like...

B. Rizzini 16 ga. 28" bbls 7.7 lbs. $2950

or

B. Rizzini 16 ga. 28" bbls 7 1/2 lbs. $2800

Then, I found this I. Rizzini that seems a little over priced...

I. Rizzini (FAIR) NEA 500 16 ga. 28" bbls 6.5 lbs. $2599

Trigg
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:19 am  Reply with quote

The B Rizzinni on the 16 gauge frame would be much lighter; probably in the range of six pounds four onces to six pounds six ounces. Most out there are older and are on the 12 gauge frame. William Larkin Moore should have the new ones. I have a B. Rozzini in an English stocked multi gauge set in 20 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 upland version. At the tome O gpt mine the 16 was on the 12 gauge frame.

I have an I Rizzinni in 16 gauge 26 inch barells and it is six pounds four onces.
nutcase
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

David:

William Larkin Moore had some 16's on their website quite a while ago. I'm pretty certain that they listed the weight @ 6.25 lbs.

The guns you posted must be on 12ga receivers. I have a 12ga B. Rizzini that weighs about 6.75 lbs. I also have 16ga that has a 12ga alloy receiver and weighs about 6.25 lbs.

I believe the guns imported by WLM are mostly Upland EL's and have upgraded wood and checkered butts versus butt plates. Other than that I don't know if you could tell the difference.

Your best bet is to call Rizzini USA and WLM to get the most accurate information.

If your looking at I Rizzini's as well check out Cabela's

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/boise/european_sg/393168_fair600a_boi.jsp;jsessionid=TRS5H4YTLPMW2CWQNWRSCOAK0BW0IIWE?hierarchyId=11653
The Boise store had this same gun last week with coin finish instead of case coloring.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/wheeling/european_sg/698871_fair16ga.jsp;jsessionid=TRS5H4YTLPMW2CWQNWRSCOAK0BW0IIWE?hierarchyId=11653

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:11 pm  Reply with quote

My Rizzini Aurum Light. Alloy frame...6# even. 28" barrels choked I\C and mod. Bought from Bud @ RizziniUSA in spring of '06...less expensive than any of those you have listed.

Left click image for larger version...

Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

Trigg --so is weight the only way to tell then? It is a good indicator I guess...

Onefun --Sure like that wood! Think I might have to call Bud.

Nutcase --Thanks for the help! I looked at those guns too, only I really need 28" barrels on anything I shoot and that precludes one of those guns (it has 26" barrels). The other gun is really nice, but I don't know how I feel about sideplates...

I'll see what Bud has to say.... decisions, decisions, decisions...
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

FYI: Called Rizzini today...

Cost for a 16 ga. Aurum is $2804, plus $274 for a left handed stock (yes, I am a south paw), plus $205 for a straight grip. Total is about $3400.

Cost for a 16 ga. Omnium is $1969, plus $274 for a left handed stock, plus $205 for a straight handed stock. Total is about $2500.

These guns are on a true 16 ga. frame. but get this...the wait is 5-6 MONTHS!

Supposedly the ONLY difference between the Omnium and the Aurum is the case coloring and wood. But, since I am paying for a left handed stock I should get at least Aurum wood, if not better. I bought a left handed stock from Rizzini for my TT25 that is beautiful. And, since I bought the new left-handed stock, I converted the old stock to a straight grip as an extra...

Having said all this, the $1700 for new Citori Feather Lightning is sounding better and better...
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Ok: A bit more news...

Please correct me if I am wrong...

I believe the 16 listed above for $2800 is on a 16 ga frame due to the weight. That gun weighs 7 lbs. 1/2 oz. (not 7 1/2 lbs) with the POW grip. The other 16 ga. straight grip gun should weigh a bit less I would think, but it actually weighs more at 7 lbs. 7 oz. To top it off, a Rizzini 28 ga built on a 20 ga frame weighs 6 lbs. 6 oz.

So doesn't it make sense that a 16 ga on a 16 ga frame weigh 10 oz. more? And in the case of Onefunzr's 16 ga Aurum "Light," his gun has an alloy frame with a straight grip and therefore justifies that it comes in a full pound less due to the stock and frame. Does this sound right?
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,

I have seen and handled the 16 gauge frame guns but I think there have not been that many brought into the USA.

I have a 29 1/4" 16 gauge Rizzini Aurum that is on a 12 gauge frame. The gun has a POW grip and she weighs 7# 1 ounce. I love that gun it "feels" like a 6 1/4 pound gun.

Here's what I have noticed. The 12 gauge frame 16 Rizzinis have .675 bore. The 16 gauge frame Rizzinis have a 667 bore. I think the larger frame guns had an overbore in order to remove some weight and make the gun handle more like a small bore 16.

I hope this helps
Brian
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:41 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Brian! Your information really helps. It confirms that the gun I was looking at is indeed on a 12 ga. frame.
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

The 16 ga. FAIR Model 900s from Cabela's (look on the "sale rack" portion of the "fine gun room" on the site.) are not bad guns for the money at $2,800. I've got one. They're on a 16 frame and come in around 6.5 lbs.

However, you'd have to find a stocksmit to bend the stock for you. They're cast for a right-handed shooter.
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Check this out... 6lbs 6oz. --which is what a B.Rizzini 16 ga. on a 16 ga. frame should weigh according to WL&M.

http://www.fieldsportltd.com/gunroom/gun_view.php?gunId=354

nutcase
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

David:

The listing on the link is for a Rizzini USA Model 702.Shocked Just so you know, a model 702 is an I. Rizzini(FAIR) gun. Nothing wrong with that, they just have the manufacturer or model wrong.

Think maybe they'll drop the price a little when they realize the mistake? Nah!

Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

That is soooo funny! You'd think these guys know better -especially since they claim to be RizziniUSA dealers.

I spoke to WL&M today. They have a group of 16 ga. guns supposedly on 16 ga. frames coming in about a month. They are all Artemis models and will sell for $3250 each. I am not too keen on sideplates, but they said that it was the most gun for the money. I asked what 16 ga Aurum would run me...talk about sticker price...$4250 base price, $515 extra for the 16 ga. gun, and another $175 for barrels over 28". They also said that they have only brought in about 8 B. Rizzini's on true 16 ga. frames. Each one weighed 6 lbs 6 ozs.

Lewis Drake supposedly had the the real deal for $2350 (it sold). A B. Rizzini 16 ga. that weighed 6lbs 6oz with 29" bbls. It is still on their website. A dollar short and a day late...

The good news is I think I have found a gun... a 16 ga B.Rizzini with a fine piece of wood for $1700. Although its on a 12 ga. frame and weighs 7lbs., I have an extra stock that I have reworked into a straight grip and believe I can get the weight down under 7lbs. For the price, I don't think I can go wrong.

I really like the FAIR guns and if I found a M 500 for a decent price with 28" barrels I'd go for it in a heart beat. I am not too crazy though about the gold inlays on case colors. I also really like the 900 series...especially the wood! My only complaint is the "cast parts" like the safety and the top lever. I guess I just can't bring myself to pay close to $3000 for a gun that has easily recognizable cast parts on it. Now, if these guns were a little closer to $2000 I could deal with it.
MGF
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

Dr. David Dabaco wrote:

I really like the FAIR guns and if I found a M 500 for a decent price with 28" barrels I'd go for it in a heart beat. I am not too crazy though about the gold inlays on case colors. I also really like the 900 series...especially the wood! My only complaint is the "cast parts" like the safety and the top lever. I guess I just can't bring myself to pay close to $3000 for a gun that has easily recognizable cast parts on it. Now, if these guns were a little closer to $2000 I could deal with it.

I hear you, Dr. Dave. It took quite a while for me to adjust to looking at the cast pieces, especially when compared to my B.Riz and CG guns. But my 900 shoots so sweet for me in the field, I can't get rid of her. Refinished the stock myself, and the wood came out really gorgeous, if I do say so.

My next great hope is that CG comes out with a 16. In the meantime, stashing nickels. May have to spend 'em on a Uggie from Lion Country Supply, though. So many guns, so little time!
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:06 am  Reply with quote

Well I have a B. Rizzini 16 ga. on the way. Should be here next week sometime. After that, another 10 day state mandated "cooling off" period so I do something dangerous and destructive with my new shotgun. It is on the 12 ga. frame and weighs 7lbs. with 29" barrels but I got the gun for what I would consider to be a good price: $1,700. It is supposed to be in perfect condition (my fingers are crossed).

Actually, I am beginning to believe that the "cooling off" period here in California is more for my protection. See, for 10 LONG days I am going to be talking about the arrival of my new gun and my WIFE is going to more and more used to the idea. This way, I don't have to sneak it in the back door, nor do I have to worry about her shooting me if she finds out. Wink