16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New 16 gauge Beretta
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:50 am  Reply with quote

I stopped by a gun shop yesterday. Seen a SxS on the shelf, picked it up and it's a Beretta. Pretty light for a 12 gauge, must be a 20. Holy cow, it's a 16. It's a Silverhawk, but I can't find a model number. Chamber length isn't marked on the barrels.This gun was brought back by some guy after the war, I'm guessing. It has the Greener cross bolt, 26" barrels, choked imp.cyl. and mod.
It does have 2-3/4" chambers and a single non selective trigger.
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/bitman/100_0734.jpg

Last edited by Dave Miles on Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Boy, what a gun. If it doesn't work for you, contact me. I've been looking for a 16 ga. Beretta SH for ...well forever it seems. I was told by Beretta of America there ain't no such animal. However, I remember seeing one years ago. It goes to show that even the corporate gurus don't always know about their own products. The white line butt cap says 1960ish. Its in great shape for an older gun. Good luck you lucky devil.
Bill M
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:58 am  Reply with quote

Hi Dave -

I just looked in an old Gun Trader Guide (circa 1988) and it lists a 16 gauge "Beretta Silver Hawk featherwieght shotgun"

The description fits your gun. The 12 gauge wieght is listed @ 7lbs - So yours should be less.

Value in 88 was $650. With 20 years of inflation it looks like you got a nice gun and a good deal.

The featherwieght model was discontinued in 1967.

Bill

Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:56 am  Reply with quote

If it were a Silverhawk (old version, not current), then it would be so marked. Also, from the photo I have and from the old Silverhawks I've seen, I think all had a straight back to the receiver rather than the "notch" shown in the photo. However, the old Silverhawk was only the imported version of the Model 409 anyhow, and that gun did have the notched-back receiver. If you remove the forend, you should find a number on the underside of the wood, and it will probably be 409. From the rest of the description and the photo, sounds like a 409 to me. That was the basic Beretta sxs through the early 60's.