16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  realoading help
Pete
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

Well I can see nobody wants to give up any double AA and I can understand that .I know I wound'nt give them up either but I just thought I wouldd try. If you won't give up your Double AA's will you pleeeeeeeeeese help me with a load? I want to shoot a trap load,one with no wad pressure,so I was thinking of useing a winchester super x game load hull with a209 primer a R16 wad and 15.0grains of red dot,1oz of shot that will develop 10,900 psi at 1,165 fps.
Hold on before anyone goes crazy over useing red dot in a 16 ga load I took it right from Hercules Reloader's guide 1978. If you have a better load let me know,that is why I wrote this.
Thank you for your time to help me
Pete Razz
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

From the BPI reloading Manual as listed in the C Mans data base

Winchester Super X (Cheddite) hull

1 ounce of shot, 18 grains of Unique, Gualandi 1621/SG16 wad.

1170 fps at 8200 psi

This load calls for a Cheddite 209 primer but with a chamber pressure this low I would not hesitate to substitute a Winchester 209 as they are very close in performance.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

It wouldn't hurt to back off the RD charge by a grain to 14 max.. That old load was for a hull with a paper base wad I'll bet. It sure sounds like a lot of RD to stuff into a 16 ga. WW Compression formed hull. 17.5 grains is about absolute max for a 1-1/8 12 ga. load in a WW-AA hull. A 16 hull has much less expansion room and pressures rise much quicker in one.

Unless you are using an old WW 16 ga. AA type compression formed hull and I hope you are not with 15 grains of Red Dot, your new hulls have a plastic base wad instead of paper and develop more pressure.

I'd also recommend Green dot over Red Dot. Green Dot has a smoother pressure rise and most 16 ga. trap loads pattern better for singles shooting with it. About 15 grains tops should get you there with GD for 16 yard shooting. It will be easier on your shoulder too.

However, Unique is even better in a 16 ga. for 1 oz. loads. It is the go to powder for that shot weight and about 17-18 grains should fit nicely under an R16 wad with little to no wad pressure. It is much denser than RD and will occupy very little additional space.

However, make sure that wad is down on the powder with a tad of seating pressure, no less than 20 lbs. That little will barely register on your ram pressure indicater. The load will fire much more consistantly for you. The pressure will also help minimize powder migration around the R-16 wad in this roomier than a Remington hull. Unique in a 16 should give you a super center density pattern that crushes trap birds to puff balls out at 40 yards from a full choke barrel the same way Green dot does in a 12 ga. gun. good luck.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

I have found that Unique and Winchester 540/HS6 (they are the same powder) give the best trade off for muzzel velocity versus chamber pressure in the 16 gauge.

I particularly like Unique for 7/8th ounce loads in the Black Remington and 540/HS6 for 1 ounce and 1 1/8th ounce loads in the compression formed Winchester.

I'm still working on a best load for the current Wincheser/Cheddite hull.

Some folks swear by Solo 1250 because of it's moderately slow and clean burning characteristics but it is hard to come by around here and I have yet to try it.
brdhnt
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Pete,
I too would recommend Green Dot over Red Dot. Green Dot loads for me in any gauge have always had less felt recoil and better pattern performance than Red Dot.

I would caution against using the load data from an old manual with new powders. Alliant redid their powder line in the last few years to make them cleaner burning and this changed some of the load data. For a Fiocchi hull, they currently list a WAA16 wad with a Fiocchi 616 primer and 15.5 grains of Red Dot.

I would give Alliant a call and ask them about your load in the Cheddite hull.

Don't give up on finding the AA hulls. Yesterday I stopped in a local pawn shop that carries some reloading supplies to pick up some WAAF114 wads.
I happened to glance into a barrel filled with sorted hulls and noticed some blue Fiocchi 16 gauge hulls. That got me digging and I walked out of there with 100 Fiocchi hulls, 150 black Remington 16 gauge hulls and 60 Winchester AA hulls (NO! They are not for sale!) Since I bought all of the 16 gauge hulls he had in the barrel I got them for .04 each.

Good Shooting

TMB
________
Mexico hotels

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
kgb
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel, I'm with you on the use of Unique and 540/HS6, same hull combinations mentioned although when the Unique runs out I'll be switching to Universal. It's what I have on hand and 4lbs goes a long way. I also bought some of the 1250, and would like to disagree with you on the clean burning aspects. Depends on how you look at things, but this powder has left pretty good chunks of coal in the barrels. While not necessarily clean after shooting, I have found a friend of mine to be correct in stating that the powders leaving chunky residue also clean out easily. Some of the "clean" powders that leave less visible residue do require a bit more scrubbing to eliminate entirely.

I have gotten lazy, just pull a boresnake through most shotgun barrels and call that good! Come on up to the Flatwater next April, I'll give you a handful of 1250! (remind me beforehand)

kgb

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

KGB thanks for the invite to the Flatwatter.

I'm a home boy growing up in Seward County and still have family there.

See you in April.

I'll be toting my Foxes and Lefever. I might even bring the Parker for the long targets.