16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  English 16s
carpe dm
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:57 am  Reply with quote

I have a Cogswell and Harrison BLE 16, and a nice Alex Martin (Scotland). Both 2 1/2" chambers and shoot well.

Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:17 am  Reply with quote

About 30 years ago when I was in my early teens my Dad traded my beloved 410 for a bigger gun for me. I eventually got to love that new gun and did all my shooting with it and, as time passed, learned to chase the wonderful Californian quail we have around here.

That "new gun" Dad gave me 30 years ago is a Westley Richards boxlock 16 gauge built in 1927, 2 1/2 inch chambers, 30 inch barrels weighing in at 6lbs 4 oz and still an absolute dream to shoot with. It now sits alongside about another dozen shotguns but is still my first choice for game.

Ross
carpe dm
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:12 am  Reply with quote

Kiwi: What a nice story; many good memories there. I sure wish I had my first shotgun (single barrel Harrington and Richardson, 20ga.); it was just a "cheapie", but I had many good hunting days with it. Wink

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:04 am  Reply with quote

Someone with more class and $s than me needs this gun Shocked
http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx?tabid=30&mid=345&ctl=GunsDetails&StyleID=10&GunID=588
Cleaned up by Trevallion
Dave M the Parker Putz guy would only have to sell a couple of his guns for this one Very Happy

carpe dm
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:17 am  Reply with quote

I don't know Rev, it looks like your kind of gun! Wish I had it too.... Rolling Eyes

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:52 am  Reply with quote

Carpe: Highcountry got my 'covets' all flared up with that Field Grade LC but THIS is serious Rolling Eyes
29" brls but just over 6# choked Sk/Mod
What a perfect almost everything upland gun this would be-and enough honest use, no concern about some more field marks.
Maybe we could find 10 more of our closest friends, each put in $2200, and share it for one month out of the year? Wink

carpe dm
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

I knew you could figure it out. Exclamation We can't count on Dave; he is paying for his Parker 28. Rolling Eyes

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

Rev,

Since I've been a member of this "society" you have exuded as much class as any have.

Definitely enough class for a Purdy.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

"Exuded" Question Thanks, I think?
Is that something like what my dog did in the yard this morning? Rolling Eyes

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

Only if your dog has class!

AmarilloMike
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

RevDoc I handled that 16 Purdey at the Tulsa gun show this fall. It is "lively" and as you said a classic upland gun. That is the best price I have seen on a 16 Purdey and I have been looking a long time. It is very original and unmessed with.

I wish you hadn't gotten me all stirred up about it again. So many guns and so little money.

Although I am sure you have a surplus of class all Champlin Arms requires is money.

Mike

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:35 am  Reply with quote

I think that with a gun like that you must be dressed in the required English tweeds.

Tip tip. carry on chap.

britgun
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:31 am  Reply with quote

I have had the chance to own some good English guns at very good prices (well, if you count the fact that I owned the company that owned the guns, I DID own them, duh)....but none of them could ever seem to replace this bantam-weight French thing I own for performance, so I just never could justify bringing a pricey gun home to just sit in the case, just a personal problem, I guess..... each time Charlie (Hill R & G) gets in a new boat load (he just did last week), I somehow wind up down there perusing the new batch with him, but to pony up for one and take it home......just can't seem to do it. I meander into Westley Richards now and again to check out the sweeties, now that they have set up in Bozeman.... they always have some gorgeous stuff, too.....

One thing I really miss is sitting in those auctions in London and buying English guns, it was a real rush......what else was fun is our shop owned a claymaster trap and we would load up 15-20 English guns at a time and take them out and just shoot 'em for hours, test drive them as it were....

My buddy from Baltimore who comes to shoot huns with us each fall has a Boss 20 bore made in 1930 that I found for him..... but he favors a 2" twelve made by Ford...... that incredible Boss (incidently, the single most expensive gun that ever ran thru my hands...had a couple pairs that fetched more) just sits in his safe back home.....it's just crazy to me!!

In 25 years, I've come full circle and I'm back to the guns I began with: mostly American utilitarian pumps and doubles...to me, they seem strong and reliable, like old friends (like an old reliable lab vs. a high maintenance little pointer).... while I love those sleek brit lines and the dainty handling, the same can be had for at least a grand less in a nice 16 bore Belgian or French gun..... I really can't say how this all came to pass, but it did, and I'm enjoying my retro renaissance, can't wait to shoot twopipe's Ithica model 37 when it gets here.....

I love and respect the English guns, they were my livlihood for 5 years, and if I had ever found one that handled like my French gun, I would have scarfed it up..... oh well......to each his own.....at least my lab is English...

britgun (maybe I should change my I.D. to "clunkgun") Smile

Northern Bob
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

I picked up my first 16 gauge last weekend. It is a back action, 30" barrelled Williamson & Son. Although Thomas Williamson moved and changed the name of the company to T. Williamson & Son in 1868 and traded under that name until 1898 this one has the old name and town (Ludlow) on it. The barrels are fluid steel and everything is tight and in good condition. Does anyone know anything about this maker? I've checked the IGC historical database but there is not alot of information on them. I haven't weighed it yet, but I doubt if it will make 6 pounds.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

Congratulations Bob on your first 16! Sounds like you got a nice one.