16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Pot Stirring and Mind Numbing Questions
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

Just found my 16 sxs to buy (from lcs), so based on all that I've read here I've got a few quick and "easy" questions.

1. Where can you or more to the point I get a 16g shell belt that has either closed loops or something that prevents you pushing shells on through.

2. I'm not a reloader (yet) and need to buy quality shells any comments? Pheasant and quail.....(this won't start a fire storm) Wink

3. Any one added briley chokes to a Uggie? Or should I just have my smith open them up a bit?

I will now sit back and watch the fun! And thanks for the advice, comments etc in advance.

Ash

btw anyone going to Wanenmacher Gun show in Tulsa Oct 20?
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

1 - shell belts with elastic webbing fits all size shells

2 - RGL's are popular, so are Cheddites, each have thier own particulars - either way, join the low pressure group, see reloading forum for details

3 - never owned and uggie but adding chokes to a gun is like 1500 or so depending on what you want for spare tubes - TJC can comment better - opening them will be cheaper overall
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

Not quite $1500 for the Brileys but it was just over $400 for the work and I think 5 tubes. The extra tubes are right around $50 ea.
I would go with the tubes. I did in my Merkel SxS and love the options it gives me. From Skt1 up through Full. I bought a complete extra set so I can double up any of the chokes that I may want to.

RGLs are a good all around for upland as are the Fed game loads. For pheasants I like the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads but have used the Rem and Win high brass loadings in #4s.

Can't help ya with the belt but I am sure someone will be along that can.

Lefty Dude
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot Cowboy action and have a custom shotgun shell slide that holds 8 shells in pairs of four with a space in between each pair. It snaps over my Gun belt over the buckle. I wear it between my revolver holsters.

When I hunt Dove or Quail I use this on my trouser belt same position. I have one for 12 gauge & the one most used is the 16 gauge. All of my double guns I have polished the chambers so the emptys just fall out of the chambers. Makes for very fast reloads. Because the shells are in pair's, I pull two at once and rock them in from the top of chamber into the chambers. I carry additional shells in my vest and replace them as needed to the slide. With the vest and slide I carry a box of shells and all are very accessable for quick retrieve & reload.

Look up a Cowboy Shooter and find out in your area who does the leather work. The cost is usually in the neighborhood of $35.00-$40.00.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

l think I'd be hesitant to shoot a heavy 1 1/8 oz. load like a Fiocchi Golden Pheasant in a Uggie. I only say this because Aspen Outfittes, who also sells the Uggie's recommends not to and sorts of implies heavy loads may void the warranty, although they are sort of vague about this.

http://www.sidebysideshotgun.com/warranty.html

I don't know what, if any, difference there is between an AOC Uggie and a LCS Uggie but I'd look into it.

I'd have no problem with these loads in a Merkel other than recoil.

Matt
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

Griffin and Howe sells a leather shell belt with closed loops on the bottom. They offer the 12 and 20 ga. versions. I used the 12 ga. version for my 16 ga. shells with no problem, until I also used it for 12's. Oops.

They're a bit pricey at $140.00 (I think), but nicely made.

On another note, Quilomene offers 16 ga. shell loops as an option to be sewn, or velcro-ed into their vests. Sewn in for those who only use the 16, and velcroed for those who use a variety of gauges.

Open the fixed chokes to your specs, or go to Briley. Your personal choice. On my only screw choked double, I've never switched from imp/mod. But, I do alternate shot sizes to suit my needs. I think it's cool that way.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
jig
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:22 pm  Reply with quote

Ballistic Products inc hassome really nice varieties of factory loads for old or light doubles. As well as heavy artillery pieces. Yeah, you might want to save the golden ditchparrots for you remchester or the like. Or a nice heavy Browning O/U eats em up with joy too.
mamohr686
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:30 am  Reply with quote

Revdocdrew pointed me to nevada gun leather for a 16g shellbelt. The one I purchased has open ends but works great. I only shoot short shells so there is really no chance that they will fall out. On a side note I think the belt they sent me was a 20g belt and they sent directions on how to stretch the belt loops. Basically I completely submerged the belt in hot water (just under boiling) for 5 minutes and then filled the belt with shells. Then I let it dry completely for 2 days with the shells in it and it was ready to go. You should be able to find a 20g belt much easier and stretch the loops to fit the 16g shells.