16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Tapping For Choke Tubes
smashdn
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

I apologize if this has been talked to death but I searched and didn't find it. I have a Stoeger Condor that i would like to make more versatile. It came with fixed mod and something else chokes. I can only see that it says mod on the barrel and nothing else. I wanted to know how thick must the barrels be at he end to be able to be tapped for choke tubes? I see that Browning offers everything from full to cylinder bore in the Invector chokes and I thought that that would be a good route to go. If there is a better alternative let me know. I want to be able to hunt everything (ducks, geese, quail, turkey, doves) but am not really interested in using it for deer so rifled tubes not a big deal.
Thanks in advance for the advice
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

My first step would be to pattern the gun and see how it REALLY paterns then decide if you need to to have chokes put in.With a gun in that price range -I own one-I would change shells instead of putting the money on the end of the barrel Wink
smashdn
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't ever patterned it. But I am pretty sure that it is a little on the open side for killing a turkey with. Me personally, I like about a paper plate sized pattern at 35-40 yards for turkeys. During the spring turkey season was the only time that I started to pick my O/U but then decided against it due to this very reason. Anything else (ducks geese, doves whatever) I am fine shooting out of the mod. I am a bit apprehensive about shooting size 2 steel out of the mod choke though. Do you know approximately how much this procedure would cost? I am also planning on sanding down and re-chckering and re-finishing both the stock and fore-end. For a better wood to metal fit and for a more trim stock and fore-end and nicer checkering. Mechanically the gun is just what I want.
berg
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

Do a google of "choke tube installation" and you will come up with a lot of places that do it. I have checked a few and most only show doing it for 12 and 20 gauges, very few give any dimensions.
Did find one place that installs Briley choke tubes and gives the following dimensions for a 16, max. inside diameter .673, min outside diameter .765. difference is .092, half of that, or minimum barrel thickness at max bore id is .046.
Another place just gave a minimum diameter of .750

hope this helps

berg
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:44 am  Reply with quote

Go to Brileys web site and I believe you'll find a phone number and they'll give you all the info you need both tech and price wise. I agree with trying different loads rather than putting money into a lower end gun but thats your choice.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:46 am  Reply with quote

Mike Orlen was doing shotgun barrel services for members of the doublegunshop bb at dealer prices. My last price list shows choke tube installation (thread barrel) at $35.00 per barrel plus the cost of the tube which are $17.00 each. Mike uses Colonial and Truelock choke tubes which I am told are pretty good stuff. Since you are happy with the pattern of the lower barrel you may want to consider butting a tube the upper barrel and save some bucks to buy additional choke tubes. Mike is in Amherst, MA and you can contact him at (413) 256-1630.