16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  NY Woodcock
timberdoodle16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:59 am  Reply with quote

Not seeing many woodcock. Last Sunday, my buddy Pete and I got into a fair amount with my ES. My dog found 4 more Monday morning. Only birds I have found so far this year, and I've been out a lot.
Normally, I would have seen far more by now.
Last year was dry, but not like this year. It took a bit to get into birds heavily.
I believe, we have seen native breeders only and the migration hasn't started yet. Quite possibly, the natives have "flown the coup."
I have seen very little activity posted on the RGS woodcock migration map.
Am now getting ready to load Tucker (ES) in the truck and head up to Pete's.
We are going to try one of our best coverts.
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:25 am  Reply with quote

Good luck with them. Hope you find the birds. If you do, send some down to NJ here please.

timberdoodle16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

Just got home. Had to crack open a cold one. First things first!
Dog pointed 8 woodcock. I had a clear shot at one until it flew behind a tree and it was as if it disappeared!
Pete managed to drop one but, uncharacteristically, missed more than I am used to seeing him miss.
Dog pointed about 4 grouse too, but we only saw a flash of them.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:09 am  Reply with quote

Last weekend in Northern New York there we quite a few. On saturday the 13th I flushed 9 and shot 2 and 1 Grouse.On Sunday the 14th I flushed 13 and shot 2 more. I've been told they migrate heavy over the full moon so they should be moving at the end of the week. I should mention I only hunted them 1 1/2 hrs each day.

timberdoodle16
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:06 am  Reply with quote

Nice pictures. I hope to see more birds soon. I've been hunting woodcock for over 25 years and this is the worst season (at least to start) I have seen in that time.
Most of my coverts are devoid of woodys.
Only finding them in 2 coverts that are 30 miles apart.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:12 am  Reply with quote

Where do you hunt? I find most of my birds in old pastures that are overgrown with Grey Stem Dogwood. I find very few in traditional Aspen and Birch coverts. But I only see them the first few weeks of October.
Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting that the N.E. is low in woodcock. My recollection is that the decline in their population began out east. Here in the Midwest I have seen more woodcock this year than I have in probably 5-7 years. The population was very low here for probably a decade, so I am happy they are up.

Grouse are also up and I would guess the bottom was two seasons ago, some may say last season. To date I have hunted 15 days this season and I am leaving again tomorrow for another 10 days. If it is good maybe longer.
timberdoodle16
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:14 am  Reply with quote

The woodcock population here in central NY is very dependent on the amount of rainfall each summer. We are not in a major flyway, but birds do, of course migrate through here. There are native breeding birds also, that's where the rain becomes a factor.
The last 3 years where good. Last year was the best I have ever seen, but only the last 2 weeks. My setter would flush 1 or 2 woodys on the way in to point a 3rd.
A couple of my coverts are getting too mature. However, they still hold a bird or 2 and just 2 years ago, one held a large number. I know that can change in a short time.
I hunt every type of cover that woodcock will frequent. A day of hunting will find me in a mixture of good to marginal covers.
My best covert is pole sized hardwood saplings. Holds the most birds. However, there must be moisture. Another covert that is quite similar only holds the occasional migrator or wanderlust bird.
Differences in coverts can be subtle, one may have more ground cover, or be mossy, a sign of acidic soil which is not conducive to worms and snails.
I believe the major element to be moisture.
Hopefully, My setter and I will be out when the woodcock are in.