16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 ga in Montana
Chris Preston
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:57 am  Reply with quote

Got back from 4 days hunting in Montana in the Chinook area. Took 2 16's an old Simson sxs and a Model 12. Had 11 opportunities for pheasant and got 9, all but one with 1 oz of 7's, the other 1 oz of 5's. Used my French Brittanies so the shots were close - Ended up using the Simson for the whole trip. Also got 2 Sharptails - very spooky, lots of points but the birds would not hold. Finally one of my mutts started pointing from longer distance and it worked out. Also 4 huns. In my experience one ounce of 7's is lethal for almost anything your dog can point. Especially good for chukars and huns here in Idaho. 16 ga reloading group has been a wonderful resource for me and I have not shot factory loads in years. Montana was a great experience, vey nice people, gorgeous landscape.
Chris Preston
Boise, Idaho
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:59 am  Reply with quote

I have always wanted to try 7's, but they seem a little light for chukars, especially past 30 yds. Have you found that to be the case?
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:58 am  Reply with quote

If I ever get to Montana I would probabbly never want to leave- Wink
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:09 am  Reply with quote

"Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana"

Merle Haggard Razz

Matt
chorizo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:31 am  Reply with quote

Just don't set me free there in the middle of January!

Been there, done that, froze my................

Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

That's it, the final motivation. I have always wanted to do a Montana hunt and I am going to start figuring one out for next year.

Glad to hear it was so successful.
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip and your 16 served you very well. I just read a long article on 7 shot in an old Shooting Sportsman mag. They consider it perfect for 1 oz loads giving an excellent balance of pattern density and pellet penetration.

manofthewoods
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:27 pm  Reply with quote

I too just got back from Montana. I consider it home. Missed more than a few roosters over good points. My pudelpointer must have been wondering what I'm doing! Razz

Good thing about Montana is; lotsa land. But, in general, one shouldn't expect pheasant hunting like South Dakota (not even close). For those interested in visiting. If you're prepared to work (walk) then you'll have a good time, huns, sharpies, maybe pheasants. Mountain grouse (ruffed, blue and/or Franklin's) if you don't mind hard mountain hiking.

I don't mind the cold weather, but, my dog runs best when there is snow on the ground. Smile

Have fun everybody. My season is over Sad

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

There must be at least two or three Montanas...I know I wasn't impressed with the first place in Montana we went this summer---Whitefish---which was absolutely Yuppietown, USA...with the traffic, Japanese SUV's, sandals and coffee bars I thought I was in Downtown Chicago or San Francisco for a few minutes...it was one of the big letdowns of the summer...once we got into the wheat country and down to Great Falls it was better though.
If I were doing it again I'd go further east and south and I think it would be ok.

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief,
You are correct about the colony to the north. Our major cities are as most large towns--crowded. They are not Montana but in time they will control Montana. This is the way as seen in Wasington and Oregon. Great to hear you found Great Fallls. It is still in ranch land. I hunt deer and antelope around the area. Try Livingston or Billings on your next trip. Better yet avoid the cities and check out the smaller towns on the highway 2 or 200. The common thread is guns and hunting and Montana has many folks that enjoy both. Good luck on your next trip. If you get to Plains stop by. I'm listed in the phone book.
Best,
Ron
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

Ron---thank you for the invitation ! I certainly will call when I get out that way...the highway east from Cutbank stetched out comfortably and I'll bet there are some sharptails on that unending prairie to the north...we stopped at the Charles Russell Museum and I was very surprised to find that it contained a rather ample collection of Browning A-5's; several in 16 gauge.
I would like to drive the area north and west of Jordan--the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife refuge---looks like there would be some game in there.

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:20 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief,
The area north is known for its partridge. The second most saught after bird is pheasant. The Conrad area and east does hold sharps. The CR area has sharp tail also. There are some block management lands around Great Falls that hold sharp tails. You can request maps from the game dept. I have sinned and used a 12g today for Pheasants. It was a good day. Hope the rest of the season is a good one for you.
Best,
Ron
britgun
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Like Ron, I live here, too, but in a worse yuppified joint than Whitefish: Bozeman! I moved here in '79 and our small sleepy cow/college town has mutated into a tree-huggin' big money yup destination.... gag me.....it's atrocious.

Yesterday, my buddy and I hunted near Lewistown and hit the "Montana grand slam": roosters (a limit each) then sharpies and huns....all on the same ranch! We ended up with 18 birds total, it was a super day. My 2 1/2 year old lab did great on the roosters on the creek (please pronounce as "crick" when in Montana), and my friend's setter handled the grassland birds with aplomb...There is just so much country out here. I'd like to maybe move to Lewistown someday and get out of this boom town. L'town is the geographical center of the state, so you can get to most any of the good hunting within 3 hours or so, but there's a lot of birds right around there, too. The state block management program has been a huge success all across MT, and has opened up huge spreads to us average joes. Anyhow, bird shooting here is pretty good, especially of late, but one good hard winter or super wet, cold spring can really queer the whole deal. Dare I say that global warming (or whatever is going on) at least makes for some spectacular bird hunting?

I have hunted around Chinook a lot with good success, though last year, numbers were way down at our "honey hole", so we called an audible at the line of scrimmage and booked it over to Malta and did great, though this year, Malta got hit with hail that knocked back the birds pretty hard, so we went further south-east. Mild winters over the past few years have really helped the bird populations, and there is enough hunting country out here for all of us, we wouldn't even bump into each other unless we planned to...

I love it out here....4th largest state and there still ain't even a million people here yet. You're right about the winters, but the rest of the year makes it all worth while....

brit

chorizo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

Britgun,

Don't get me wrong, I think Montana is a wonderful place. I hunt around Glasgow in the Milk River country every year. Great people, block management is a great idea (Idaho is trying to do something like it but it is still just a give away with no real benefit to the hunter yet) and lots of open country.

I am just too old for that much cold for that long.

You have a great State.

Last edited by chorizo on Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

britgun
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

"I am just too old for that much cold for that long."

Fortunately, I travel to Uganda 3-4 times a year, it kind of breaks it up for me a little....