16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16g Deer
henrybelton
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

I'll be employing my 16g wingmaster with slugs starting next week. Are there any other 16g deer hunters out there?
spr310
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

Used to hunt deer in Sothern Minnesota with slugs. Had a noble 16 gauge pump and another bolt action 16 gauge. Can't remember what make that was. Still have some of the paper Remington slugs we used. All the deer were taken in that 25 to 50 yard range. 50 yards was a long shot for us. I quess the new slugs and guns are more accurate. Took our share of deer though.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

Back in the day when I had the time --The Remmy slug was the standard - Wink
dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:20 pm  Reply with quote

Hey there,
I shoot a Jap. Browning A-5 Sweet 16 with 26" barrell, cylinder choke tube w/ brenneke 1 oz. slugs. Drops deer like a bag of lead. N orecoil and easy to carry.
-danny
dvk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

Heading out with 16 gauge Ithaca 37 in hand Saturday fed with Remington slugs. Hope to meet the 10 point i have been playing tag with thru archery season. Have always favored the green slugs, yet have used ACTIVE and Breneke--still have a box of old 25 count box Winchester slugs--leftover from dad-good memories there.
pbr streetgang
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

Well it was opening morning(today) and I banged out three mallards with three shots and when I was picking up there walked by a couple of southern pine goats. I quickly fumbled thru my blind bag and I realized I did not pack the Brenneke slugs... UUUGGHH. damn it!
I mentioned in a previous post that sooner or later this always happens to me during the course of duck season. It's O.K. though because my bag is packed now!!!!!!
Captain_Billy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:25 am  Reply with quote

Hung a big doe in the barn on a DMP yester-morning. Took a buck with the bow now this doe and have 2 more tags to fill. Always a good season here. This doe was about 400 yds. behind my barn Very Happy
16crazy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

My first gun was a bolt action Savage in 16 gauge. I took my first deer and first pheasant with that gun. I trust no 12 year old ever made the bolt work quicker then I. Very Happy The gun was a hand me down from my Father who bought it new for $25.

However speaking of 16 gauge deer guns this may be the top of the line slug gun. The Tar Hunt Elite RSG 16 gauge at $2585.
http://www.tarhunt.com/tarhunt/ecatalog/index.cfm?pageid=341&id=1&cfid=14892839&cftoken=64241322

Top of the line 16 gauge slugs?
http://www.tarhunt.com/tarhunt/estore/index.cfm?catid=21&id=1&cfid=14892839&cftoken=64241322

I do not own one put it strikes me odd that it costs 100 times more then my first slug gun!
16crazy
dvk
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:03 am  Reply with quote

Congrats Captain Billy--i'll be back at it this weekend. I did have the pleasure of seeing the nice 10 point-have yet to connect--he was in tending stage--his girl friend was 12 yards from me..he stayed up hill at 60 plus yards--she wandered back--and bedded with him for the rest of the day--AARRUUGGHH!! as Charlie Brown would have said. Time in the woods is special though, seen many turkeys and have to go back to see if i can kick the triple of grouse out again--happy holidays to all....
VAPUMPGUN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Well I had the day off today, and my son wanted me to come up to his place and try for a deer. I brought up my single 16 with three Winchester Super X No1 buck. My son laughed at me and said I couldn't knock down a rabbit with that gun. Oh did I mention he's still just a young uninformed young man? Well we went out and when it was all said and done I processed a nice 100 pound doe! Took it at 25 yard with a head on quartering shot. My son shook his head and said he would never make fun of my single 16 ever again. Today was the only day I went out this whole seanson? And he had a shot at one today too. He missed Very Happy
ithaca4me
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

My dad shot a nice doe this year with his sweet 16 it had a japanese slug barrel I bought for his birthday. He used the rottweil (Breneke) slug at 75 yds he was happier than a clam and I still have'nt heard the end of it about his Brownings.
dunk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

Several of the people in my deer hunting group use M-12 yet today...including one 16 ga. He seems to be able to shoot very straight with nothing but a bead.

I prefer to not beat on my 16's with slugs...but that's just me.
ron
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:55 am  Reply with quote

I grew up in southwestern PA. My 1st deer gun was the Ithaca 16ga SxS loaded with what we called punkin balls. Which are slugs. Family members have killed deer with it.
ckirk
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:34 am  Reply with quote

While in college in Indiana, I had the opportunity to deer hunt with my roommate on his family farm. My roommate, his two brothers, and his father all hunted deer, ducks, doves...you name it...with their 16 ga. Browning A-5's. As far as deer hunting goes, there was always meat in the freezer because those fellas took at whole lot of deer with buckshot. We'd still hunt the field edges and drive the woodlots.

The funny thing is, while at the Hunt farm, I was the oddball toting around my Winchester M12 12 gauge. Go figure. Thus began my infatuation with the 16 ga. I read somewhere, "that it is a fine line between hobby and mental illness".