16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  BPI hulls
Pete
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone used BPI multi-hulls and if so how do you like them please list pro and cons
Thank you
Pete
Chris Preston
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

I bought some last year and have not had any problems. I have only reloaded them once but no problems so far. Used BPI wads. I use them for hunting, one ounce loads for chukars.

Chris Preston
brdhnt
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:55 pm  Reply with quote

Pete,

I bought my first batch of them this year. I sacrificed one and cut it apart and measured the basewad. The interior dimensions were the same as the WW Cheddite and the Fiocchi hull. I used some WAA16 wads and loaded some spreader loads for a grouse hunting buddy.

Others on the board had mentioned having problems with the crimps, so I did these on a single stage press. They didn't like to crimp with an 8 point crimp but I found if I made two passes into the crimp starter on the 6 point crimp that they gave very nice crimps.

I will probably buy 500 to use to save my rapidly dwindling supply of WAA style cases.

Next batch will be loaded with the R16 wad. I'll let you know how they work with that.

Hope this helps.

TMB
________
ARIZONA MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:10 am  Reply with quote

I would like to thank the both of you for your input I will be buying a load of them so I dont run out in the Years to come when every manufacture forgets about us.
Pete
Bobshouse
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

I purchased several hundred, but the loads they provided me call for wad cards, shot cards and the works. I really dont want to order all that extra stuff to reload a few 16 gauge shells. I have a supply of WAA16 and SP16 wads..any loads that will work without all the fancy adds?

Bob
Chris Preston
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:08 am  Reply with quote

I meant to mention that I use a MEC press and have not had any problems with crimps, I just load them up. I use the BPI multihull, the BPI one ounce wad and universal clays powder and they look like factory shells. It took some fussing around to get the MEC resizer adjusted correctly but that was a problem with my press, not the hulls.

Chris Preston
ColoradoPaul
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

I have been using a MEC single stage w/ the BPI hulls (Cheddites) and their SG 16 wad. I had few problems at first. Oddly (or maybe not so oddly) I had to increase the wad pressure or, when exposed to high temperatures when left in the back of my car, the load would expand out towards the top of the hull and bulge out the crimp. Once I increased the wad pressure and fine tuned the final crimp cam, they looked and preformed just fine.

Another thing, I did purchase one of BP’s brass Crimp Starters (6 point) and have not had any problems with the hulls not being skived. The best looking crimps occur when I take three or four swipes at the hull with the brass Crimp Starter. Though it takes a bit longer, the single stage loader allows me to get a better feel for when the crimp is started correctly. Correctly started seems to mean crisp folds but no bulges around the crimp folds where they start. You will develop the feel for this. Hope this helps.
Fluesy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:03 am  Reply with quote

Shocked Oh Baby, Oh Baby, once I figured out, I am going to have to reload to keep myself in a supply of 16 (Gauge/Guage) Ammo. I started looking for the components to make the shells. BPI Multi-Hulls were easy to find and load, I am getting great results using a Mec Single Stage. I would highly recommend getting BPI's 16 Gauge Manual, it has an abundance of information and loads. I am really impressed with Hodgdon's Longshot in the sixteen, 1 ounce loads really scoot. Laughing Hello I am new to the forum and totally taken with the Sixteen Gauge. My brother had given me an Ithaca Flues Model that had been used and abused, sad, sad little gun when I got it. The buttstock had been broken and things didn't quite work right with the lock and action. It has since been restocked and the mechanical glitches fixed, and a fresh coat of bluing, what a sweet, sweet surprise. I held the next member of the soon expanding Sixteen Gauge Fleet yesterday, a Remington 870 w/ choke tubes. I am looking forward to a Long Term realtionship with the Sixteen gauge(s).