16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  nuther new guy..
MunsterMan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

i am beginning to see i may have broached proper etiquette here. i am new to this board membership however have owned an austrian 16 w/ 27 1/2 barrels double trigger, side clips, dolls head, third hidden fastener and a wieght of 6 lbs even.. for about 3 yrs.. ever since reading some articles about 16's from Larry Brown in DGJ. i simply love it and can't wait to pick up more 16's. my hunting partner is a LM. Vulcan.. first rate grouse dog... learning the pheasant game..

best wishes to all, straight shooting, safe hunting..

kevin
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome Kevin! Actually, with the likes of 16gaugeguy and britgun on board it's pretty hard to broach ANY kind of etiquette Laughing Your 16 sounds pretty nice. Any chance of posting some pics?

Matt
Roper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome MunsterMan, by all means let's see some photos of your partner and that scattergun...
Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard MM! Sounds like a very nice gun. Post some of it and the LM when you get a chance.

Hc

MunsterMan
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

thanks for the welcome, i'll try to get some picts.. will need my teenager to show me how.. i'm not real computer savy..

i think i got a good pict of my LM on point last night on a last minute hunt b4 sunset..w/ my 35mm. will attempt posting both soon.

good hunting, straight shooting to you all.

cheers
kev
Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:06 pm  Reply with quote

Munsterman: Welcome from one new member to another.

If you have a great grouse dog, why would you ever hunt anything else, unless you do not live near grouse country. I have that problem. I love hunting grouse, but the grand daughter is here in the Chicago area and I doubt I am getting my wife back to grouse country any time soon. So I fill in with pheasant. I grew up hunting both, but always preferred grouse and his little tan & brown friend.
MunsterMan
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

chicago,

the answer is i just love to hunt birds.. and so does my LM, - grouse, woodcock, pheasant and waterfowl.

George Evans said "a gun, a dog and time enough", that pretty much sums it up.. and with a good friend its even better - someone to remember the day with over a good red wine.

sorry you aren't getting enough grouse time.. you should make time for yourself.. head north! with a friend, a dog and your favorite 16.

all the best,
kevin
caplock
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

Hi MM, from another new guy, what part of the country do you hail from?

MunsterMan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

Caplock,

West Michigan is where I hang my hat and chase birds from, for now anyways.

how are the pickins out your way?
cheers
kev
caplock
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

MM, most of my upland hunting (Blue grouse is the exception) is a 5 to 8 hr drive to Nebraska, Kansas or SD. Retirement makes several trips a season possible if I eat & sleep in my hippy bus or find realllly cheep motels when the cold weather hits.

cap

Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:21 am  Reply with quote

Kevin:
I grew up in Grand Rapids and used to hunt pheasant just outside of what was then a fairly small town. My parents had a place up near Irons, MI and that was where I cut my teeth on grouse.

I rented a place near Traverse City for the month of October with a friend, and also spent about a week hunting in the U.P. All told I got in about 30 days on grouse this season.

My comment about only hunting grouse was "tongue in cheek" and if you have a great grouse dog enjoy it. As you know they don't come along all that often.

Mike
MunsterMan
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:55 am  Reply with quote

mike,

small world, i live in GR, i missed the good pheasant years here, however, i have taken a trophy rooster or two, (small pockets still exist), i have been hunting grouse in irons, balwin, newago about 15 years, i LONG to make a week long trip to the UP, (did a shorty a few years back w/ my boys- wonderful weekend of grouse/woodcock) and my wife and i want to find property/cottage in TC or Leelanua sometime soon.

and i'd agree bout grouse dogs.. while all my LM's have done a decent job w/ grouse and a bang up job on about everything else, the LM has a very low threshold to point, and locks up on scent quickly, his natural honor is joy as well..

got to say, I'm jealous of the number of days you got out.. i look forward to every one of mine.

all the best
kevin