16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 ga chokes used for pheasant?
kwbaker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:24 am  Reply with quote

I hear ya, Twice Barrel.

I have an attic full of shotguns and every couple of years I get the itch to buy a perfect all-around gun. Ironically, in my quest to use less gear. I end up acquiring more and more... But to me, it's a joy to go on a hunting trip with one good solid gun that you're not afraid to get dirty. No box full of choke tubes and wrenches, multiple guages of ammo, etc, etc.

Anyhow, I think you are probably right. I've seen some good shooters demonstrate just how far out you can break targets with open chokes, if you know how to shoot. I'm convinced that, ballistically, 16 is the optimal guage, and it gives you less weight and recoil to boot. So, I see a 16 ga Ugartechea Grade I or II in my near future.

28" bbl's in SK I/Imp M would be a good choice. How do you think that would compare with 26" bbl's in Mod/Full?

Frankly, I'm tempted to get Mod/Mod bbls.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:58 am  Reply with quote

I've been using 1 1/8 oz. handloads of 5's from my Uggie grade 1 with great success, but 40 yds. is my limit with the mod. barrel.
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like the majority opinion is for a little tighter choke than I have in my 16. I don't think it makes much difference, but both of my guns that I use the most are 2.5" chambers.

My 12 is proofed for 1 1/8 oz and is choked .022L/.002R I have been using 30g B&P High Pheasant #6 with it.

Also going to try #5's

Thanks
MGF
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:06 pm  Reply with quote

A lot depends on your shooting style. My brother, who is quick and deadly, uses a Beretta Silverhawk in 12, and he's shooting cylinder and and light mod this year. I'm a little more deliberate (slow) so I stay with IC/Mod. We're both hitting pretty well this year.
Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

Good point on shooting style MGF. Being a grouse hunter I am fairly quick on the draw, but generally give pheasant a little time to rise. My main problem seems to be that the game birds are getting much faster. I have hard scientific evidence, from experiments with control groups, that all game birds get faster every year, and have been for at least the last 15 years. Wink

By the way, nice retrieves Jon P.

Chorizo that was a good day afield, or have you been keeping those birds in the freezer for photo ops? Semper fi....Mike
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

kwbaker, in my humble opinion it's pretty tough to beat that already mentioned combination of SK/IMOD in a double. I have that in my Merkel 1620 and it's worked well for me. I have pointing dogs and the vast majority of my first shots, probably 90%, are under 30 yards where a skeet choke really shines. I do like having that tighter 2nd barrel though. You have two barrels, so go for that versatility. If I need that 2nd barrel I want to nail that bird. Another thing that I have come to accept is that, for me, a SxS is best in it's element as a close to medium range shotgun. With that in mind I want it choked for close to medium range shots without the need for heavy magnum type shells. IMOD will carry good pattern density out to medium to longish range, while that skeet barrel will swat all of the close birds.

Got a flushing dog? Tighten up that right barrel to IC and keep the IMOD in the left.
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:27 am  Reply with quote

I-Mod can be a heck of a choke in a gun that likes it. Used to use it in the top tube of a Beretta UL 12. Made some nice backup shots.

Re letting 'em rise, I just shoot when the shot "feels" right. My brother thinks I'm slow. I think I'm just letting the shot come together for itself. We're probably both right.

The only thing I've figured out is that besides knowing what's in the field of fire/shotfall area, I have to turn off the calculator/thinker and just let it happen. Then they fall. When I overthink, I miss.
ROGER OVER UNDER
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:23 am  Reply with quote

That extra moment is smart.

You are making sure that it's a safe shot too.

Roger.
chorizo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:16 am  Reply with quote

Mike,

They are already consumed. My wife loves to eat game birds and I can't shoot them fast enough for her. She is a Spaniard and loves to eat game of all types. The first time I went fly fishing on a "catch and release" river, I came home and was bragging on all of the fish I caught, she asked me when I was going to clean and cook them. I explained catch and release to her. She thought I was nuts.

Unfortunately, I "shoot and release" way more often than I would like Laughing

I have a Beretta 470 (yeah, yeah, I know it isn't 16 ga) with IC/IM combo and I have found that is great for late season birds, when they are wilder and get up further from the dogs. I also use high speed 1 3/8 oz of #5 nickel plate. I use 12ga late season because of the heavy shot load.

But in early season or when it is wet and they are holding tight I still vote for 16 ga sk1/sk2 with high speed 1 1/8 oz #5 nickel plate as the best combo. I have found my ic/m to be too tightly choked.
I find it a good setup to hunt chukar in the early season also. I don't hunt the damn things in late season, they are too smart and too tough to get to by then!
Mitch

JonP
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way, nice retrieves Jon P

Thanks, Chicago. My girls will pretty much retrieve anything, anywhere. This girl passed the German VGP with a Prize 1(304) this year after running a UT 204 just a couple of weeks before. Right now, I'm waitin to see what the next generation is going to look like-I'm ready for a new challenge!!!
Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

I think those girls are GSP, but maybe GWP? I have run GSP for the last 25 years and my last purchase was back to an English Setter. No dissatisfaction with GSP, but I grew up with Setters and missed them..........Mike

After thinking more about the issue with my 16 and open bores I went back and did some research. A fellow recently told me you need 135 pellets in a 30" circle at 40 yds to anchor a pheasant. If we did math correctly I should be able to nail a pheasant with a .010 restriction at 40 yds with 1 oz of #6 shot. For the sake of not crippling any maybe 35 yds.

Does this math make sense to those of you have forgotten more about this stuff than I probably know?

I had another thought that I would like feedback on. Maybe I need to increase the number of pellets in the cylinder bore for closer shots of 20 - 25 yds. Does using 7.5's in the cylinder (.001) barrel make any sense to folks?

Last and maybe most important maybe my years are catching up and the pattern is simply not centered on the birds like it used to be.

Thanks
Rooster
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:51 pm  Reply with quote

I have always been a fan of modified in my old fixed choke pump guns, but when I bought my little 16 sxs with full and fuller I elected to have it opened up to LM in both barrels. I have not been disappointed.

I used it all summer on casual skeet and sporting clays and it performed very well with promo loads of 7.5s or 8s. It also has been great on quail this fall. The patterns with those soft shot loads open more than enough to do what I want.

On my recent trip for Kansas roosters I loaded up 1 1/8oz. of both copper and nickel plated 5s and 6s running about 1275fps and they were deadly out to 35-40 yards. Even though both chokes are the same you can really change the results by careful selection of what load you have in each barrel.

Works for me.
Rooster
JonP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:03 am  Reply with quote

I don't know what type of hunting everyone does, but when it comes to late season birds, especially Sharptail, having a little more choke right and left is not a bad idea. Dogs often point these birds at 30-50 yds and getting to gunning range before the birds fly can be a challenge. I have a little Austrian O/U choked tight modified on the second trigger for those windy, later season Sharpies out in the grass.

I guess the experienced handloaders could make up various recipes and would be less reliant on chokes than us "plebes".
chorizo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:41 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
Come on kwbaker one gun. Are you kidding me. You really owe it to yourself to have a bunch of 16 gauge doubles with different choke/barrel combinations are a great excuse for more guns. But if you want to be a kill joy you can. With today's modern ammunition 28 inch barrels choked Skeet 1 and Improved Modified are going to be hard to beat for an all around combination. I think with today's tight patterning ammunition full choke is just too much constriction for today's hunter/clays shooter (except you trap shooters). Of course you will need double triggers to take advantage of all this versatility.

Amen, Brother, amen.

For a "do all" gun, you hit the nail on the head.

britgun
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

CYL or SKT in right barrel, IC in left (16 bore side by side with Briley's) I'll let you know how it works, I'm heading to eastern part of the state for pheasant safari Fri-Weds....

brit