16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Displaced Michiganders
LiverTick
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

I was surprised at the number of displaced Michiganders on this site. I can also recall that, while I was living in Idaho several years ago, how much I missed the terrain and topography of Michigan, even though I had some pretty fantastic country right in my backyard. For the sheer variety of game and birds to pursue, as well as access to ground to hunt them, I don't think Idaho can be beat.

I remember many months ago there was a survey of where the members currently reside. Maybe it would be interesting to see if there is any correlation to the state the members grew up in and their draw to the 16 bore. How would one go about putting that type of post up?
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:23 pm  Reply with quote

Ask the question and the replies will flow like water Wink
311A 16ga
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

Left in '67, only go back to visit relatives. Could not stand to live in such a confined place.
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

I grew up in Grand Rapids, Michigan and my grandfather introduced me to the 16 ga in the Manistee National Forest hunting grouse and woodcock. In 1967 I left to join the USMC and when I got out in 1971 I found myself in the Chicago area. Finished school in Illinois and started work in the Loop. My wife and I moved back to Michigan in 1981 and lived in the Great White North until 1992 when work brought me back to the Chicago area.

I actually live on the Wisconsin border and find the Badger state a really nice place, but I still miss Michigan.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:05 pm  Reply with quote

No ties to Michigan here. Got my first 16 from my Dad who got his growing up in Alabama - Grandparents left Wisconsin for Florida latter part of WWII and had a flat in Prattville AL and no tires during war. Stayed for the duration plus. Dad went to high school with Bart Starr in Montgomery AL - that help Question Wink

Dr. 16 Gauge
Citori_16
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Not form Michigan, but the other Great Lakes M state. I started hunting pheasants with my dad and paternal grandfater. I was toting either a single shot Savage 220 or Winchester 37 in 16 ga. Still have both and won't part with either.

Strayed to the 3 1/2" 12 gauge and 10 gauge for a while when started waterfowling, but through those years, I still found and bought several 50' vintage Model 12's and 870's. Sure wish I had kept those, but at that time, upland hunting was something I didn't have a lot of access to.

Anyway, after graduating from college and taking my first job, I found a Citori Gran Lighting 16 gauge and couldn't help but buy it. I had alway told myself if I found an O/U in 16 gauge that I'd buy it. I've always just liked the balance of power to weight the 16 give in the uplands.

Work has taken me to Kenoha, WI, where I don't get to hunt as much as I'd like because of a lack of places to hunt and no hunting buddies that are really close. But this past November I finallly got back with my dad after several years and we were able to hit South Dakota for 3 days. I will be returning, and hopefully witth something better to shot than steel shot in the 16.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:25 am  Reply with quote

Early years in Grand Rapids and on the family land up in Lake County. I beat down the banks of the Pere Marquette and tromped lots of the Manistee National Forest, but probably killed more birds in the coverts around Rockford than up north. I spent most of my adult live near Washington DC with a 7 year span in Chicago thrown in for good measure.

I get back to Michigan to fish and hunt 2 to 3 times a year.

Jeff
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:01 am  Reply with quote

My Great-great-great Grandfather was founding father of a small town in southern Michigan. Two of his sons served with the Michigan 24th in the Civil War. I have photos of both of them in uniform. The 24th suffered some of the highest casualties during the first day of fighting at Gettysburg. I visited my G-G-Grandfather's grave two weeks ago......

I moved back and forth between Michigan and Ohio in my youth. Much of my family is still in Michigan. I remember hating digging out of the snow to go to work, and moved west. Now I miss the snow and will probably end up back there within a couple of years.

No connection between the 16 gauge and Michigan that I am aware of. I did start shooting there at my Grandfather's farm when I was 9 years old....around 1963. I got .50 cents allowance per week. With a note from my father, I could buy a box of .22's or two .410 shotgun shells at the local hardware store. That was my happiness.
LiverTick
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:54 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not sure if any direct connection is there between MI and the 16 gauge, but there seems to be an unusually high correlation between active posters here and Michigan ties. I'm no sociologist, so I wouldn't even hazard a guess, but it does seem a little uncanny.
Bald Eagle
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

I was born in Manistee in 1943 and except for a brief stint in Panama right after WW II when my mother took me down there, I grew up in Michigan. I spent part of elementary school in Benzonia, the rest in Muskegon and basically did my growing up in Ludington.

I spent summers on my grandfather's fruit farm on the opposite side of Portage Lake from Onekama helping bring in his cherry crop.

In 1955 my dad gave me a Lefever 16 gauge Nitro Special for which he paid $25.00. I still have it and I still shoot it on the skeet range.

I was the hunter in the family my brother was the fisherman. Between the two of us we kept dad really busy. My grandpa's farm had a corner in the cherry orchard about 100 yards from the house where on any given day one could flush a covey of partridge. It was good for two or three birds a day by this young shooter.

We also hunted squirrel, woodcock, rabbits and deer on my grandpa's farm.

It was a great place to grow up. This summer, I will plan a fishing trip for several memers of the Izaak Walton League Chapter where I am a member. Last time I did this we fished out of Manistee and came back with 48 fish (salmon, lake trout, steelhead) in two days on Lake Michigan.

I miss it.

Jim
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

Emil Flues, designer of the Flues model Ithaca is buried near Midland Michigan.