16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Cold Weather Coat
henrybelton
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:54 am  Reply with quote

When deer hunting this fall with my 16g slug gun, I, once again, was chronically cold. I'm looking for recommendations for a still hunting cold weather coat.

Suggestions?
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:04 am  Reply with quote

I have this coat, and have never been cold.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat470076-cat601737_TGP&id=0015490931546a&navCount=1&podId=0015490931546&parentId=cat601737&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601737&hasJS=true

My problem is keeping my hands warm. Mad

tbjohn
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

I guess it depends on the temp where you hunt. I am in Maine and use nothing but wool jackets. I layer depending on the temp in the morning. Just make sure there is no cotton clothing around, that is the worst thing. I realy like the wool for it is quiet and if it gets wet it holds the heat. Wool jacket and pants--nothing like them. But then again I use a Savage 99 also. Old school!
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

I like wool. wore my King of the Mountain layered over t-shirt, thermal, and heavy chamois shirt in mid-20's Michigan weather and was fine.

There is a good article on wool hunting clothing by Asbell in this month's Traditional Archer magazine.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

i like to add a fleece pullover to my layers under my coat. It seems to make all the difference for me.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

Birdswatter,
Not trying to be a wise guy, but sitting on a deer stand, with mid 20's temps, isn't exactly cold. When it gets down around zero, and the snot freezes to your mustache, and the snow sparkels like stars, it's cold. Wink

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

I've hunted in that too......was just relating what I had used recently that was comfortable.
fred lauer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

Filson wool Cruiser over a wool vest or waterfowl sweater , depending on temp. I don't know about some of the newest fabrics, but wool never makes noise whilst moving slow in brush cover.

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

That Filson wool is about the tightest weave I have seen. Hard to go wrong there. I haven't tried it, but the double Mackinaw must be one of the warmest wool outer garments available.
ckirk
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

I have to agree that the Filson woolens are an excellent choice for frigid temps. While late season stand hunting here in the U.P. the temps are often in the single digits. I combat the wind and cold by wearing neoprene stockingfoot waders as a middle layer beneath my double mackinaw and bibs. This combination allows me to stay on the stand longer during those cold U.P. mornings. You just have to take your time getting to the stand and not work up a sweat.

robp
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve been out goose hunting in Minnesota the last couple of weeks and it was cold, -9f not including the wind. It was cold out, but I wasn’t. The trick is to stay warm and still be able to pop up out of a lay out blind and shoot, which you can’t do if you’re bundled up like the Michelin man.

Start with a quality base layer I have used Patagonia capline for years it’s good stuff warm and wicks away the sweat. I tried a new product this year made out of New Zealand wool by a company called ibex. I have a set of their long underwear its great stuff- soft and warm and also wicks way the sweat
I have also used under armor as well which is an ok product. I hate the image of under armor and the knuckle dragger professional athletes who endorse it -as far as I can see these douche bags promote the gangster image and should be in prison with their buddy Michael Vick.
If it’s really cold out I will wear 2 layers of long underwear

Then a wool shirt like the filson Alaskan guide shirt and a wind blocker fleece or sweater. Then a 4 in one parka like a Colombia quad with a thinsulate liner if it’s really cold, goose down is even better until it gets wet then you better be able to get to a warm shelter cause it’s worthless wet. The quad parka may be a little loud for sneaking around in the woods so a wool mackinaw style maybe a better choice.

On the bottom I still layer with the long underwear then wool Malone pants or thinner whipcord pants I also like insulated bibs but again for sneaking around in the woods my bibs are like the quad parka and kind of noisy

On the feet I wear one pair of medium wool socks and a pair of rocky insulated blizzard stalker Mickey Mouse style boots its important the boots are not tight cause the will cut off circulation which will make your feet cold. These boots seem huge but are not that bad for walking in they do get warm though.

On my head I like a thin balaclava and a fleece neck warmer a watch style cap or a bomber style hat with earflaps again if it’s really cold out

Once my core is warm my hands stay warm with thin elk skin gloves or I will wear a heavy alpine style mitten on my left hand and a thin glove on my right, which is my trigger finger. A lot of gear but you can mix and match depending on situation
budrichard
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:21 am  Reply with quote

Significant advances have been made in materials and coatings for cold weather sedentary gear. You need to purchase a set of these materials. The best I purchased was from LL Bean, a coat, bib pants, hat and gloves all in blaze with an outer rain proof fabric and synthetic insulation. A pair of LL Bean Polar boots completed the set. I don't think the Polar boots are still sold but the rest are. Without an entire set something will get cold and you head, hands and feet are the most important.
It's sad when Poster have to make comments about 20F on a deer stand. 20f can be plenty cold, period.
In terms of Filson, I have lots of Filson but none of which I would hunt with in cold weather for deer including double mackinaws. I don't think they make one in blaze orange so if you can hunt in a state that doesn't require blaze good for you.
Undeneath, layer some sort of syn with the weight depeding on the temp. I use various weights of Patagonia.
BTW I also use a blaze face masks but I don't see Bean has one for sale anymore. -Dick
With all the above I was very comfortable ain 20F weather this year no matter what the pundits will tell you.-Dick
henrybelton
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Thanks.

I've got the double mac cruiser, maybe I need the waterfowl sweater...

And If being cold while still hunting at 20f is considered a weakness, then I'm definitely a weakling.
robp
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:08 am  Reply with quote

I'd take -10 and dry then 20 and humid any day
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:56 pm  Reply with quote

I believe Dave was just making the observation that temps in Wolverine country can and do get much more severe than 20 degrees. And I agree.