16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Cold Weather Coat
fred lauer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

I tried the underarmor, read reports that it was the best thing in recent years. I suppose it could be if you have a totally hairless body. At my age, there is more hair on my chest and back than my head. The Underarmor gets real uncomfortable after a couple of hours. I also have an old pair of Eddie Bauer goose down drawers (from when Eddie Bauer made real outdoor gear) and they are good to -20, which is usually dry. I'll agree with the humidity observation. Many 30 degree damp days feel a heck of a lot colder than 10 degree dry days, so I'll concur that 20 degrees in deer season can feel mighty cold.

MGF
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:46 am  Reply with quote

I never still hunt; just do the upland walking ... so I have absolutely nothing useful to add. Just wanted to confess my complete ignorance. Smile In this case, it sounds like bliss. Standing still at 20 degrees or 0 or below -- I shiver just thinking about it. One really nice thing about walking the uplands: You generate your own heat. We go once a week, and we only skip it if the authorities close the roads. But I give credit to you guys in the tree stands; your devotion (or craziness) is greater than my own. Razz
budrichard
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:37 am  Reply with quote

I also have the filson Waterfowl sweater and the combination of the sweater and double Mac while warm would certainly be heavy.
The modern insulations coupled with the moisture resistant fabrics are warm, light weight and work well.
I only use the Waterfowl sweater with waders for 50F weather, when colder, I switch to a filson camo Waterfowl coat over the sweater.I also thought the question was about deer hunting and most localities require blaze of which non of the Filson mentioned comes in?-Dick
chorizo
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:45 am  Reply with quote

fred lauer wrote:
I tried the underarmor, read reports that it was the best thing in recent years. I suppose it could be if you have a totally hairless body. At my age, there is more hair on my chest and back than my head. The Underarmor gets real uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

I have the same problem. I only wear it if I am going to be real active with the potential for sweat on windy days. Otherwise it eats me up and I almost would rather be cold.

I have found that a very thin soft wool underwear, merino wool or the like, works well if you put a layer of cotton worn tight over the top of it. It just isn't very wind resistant requiring you to wear outer layers that block the wind.

I don't still hunt anymore. If I ain't moving, my dogs leave me behind!

Golfswithwolves
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

This is one of those things that Mom was right about: wear your long johns. I am always impressed with how much more comfortable I stay in cold weather when I start out with a good "base layer" as they call it these days. And cotton long underwear is not so good if you're moving around at all since it gets wet from sweat and stays wet. The other thing is to wear a good hat, since a huge percentage of your body heat exits through the head/neck area. Overall keep your winter clothing clean, dry, loose and in layers, and if you perspire be sure to take off layers and put them back on when you stop moving. Good luck.

WPGriffon
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:34 am  Reply with quote

I usually sit on my stand all day opening weekend ,and about 5 hrs. each day after that. I dress in layers topped off with a set of bibs and coat by artic shield and manage to stay warm.Hand warmers in my hat and gloves also helps alot.
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Golfswithwolves knows his stuff. Steady-walking uplanders need less bulk, and cotton next to the skin is a no-no, IMO.

This past week, at about 25 degrees and with a brisk wind, I had on as follows:
(1) Champion very light base layer on top and bottom. The stuff made for runners (Half the price of UnderArmour, and nearly as good, IMO.)
(2) Cabela's 5X upland pants.
(3) On top, the base layer longsleeve-T, a micro-fleece zip-up mock-T, a lightweight, vented synthetic hunting shirt from GM's Guide Series, and a full-fabric vest.
(4) On feet, Cabela's Ultimax liner socks and a lightweight pair of wool socks, both knee-high. Uninsulated knee-high wellies for boots.
(5) Hands: Pair of cheap, acrylic stretch gloves from the gas station under a pair of the Champion runners gloves.
(6) On noggin, sturdy ballcap.
(7) Eyes: Randolph Ranger XLs.

I tucked a stocking cap in a vest pocket but never needed it. Whatever the temp, I'm rarely cold after 15 or 30 minutes of walking. I was again bemused to see guys coming out of the field in quilted coats and pants. I'd have sweated the family jewels off in those outfits.

Down around zero, I'll think about going to a light wind-breaking jacket instead of heavier undershirts and will put on my Radar O'Reilly (but blaze orange) stocking cap. Back in the truck bag are a just-in-case synthetic blaze orange sweatshirt, thin polypro gaiter for the neck, optional gloves and a change of socks, both liner and outer. It's really all I've ever needed. Well, that and the suede slippers with rubber soles. Love the after-hunt feeling of getting out of the boots and into the slippers for the drive home.