16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ammunition Outrage
MGF
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Bensenville is within a fairly easy drive for me. I may call ahead some day and go pick up my own B&P order if they'll let me.
nutcase
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:28 pm  Reply with quote

Poor selection you see some places is likely due to seasonal trends.

Don't know if there is a certain time of year that retailers order ammo to get better pricing on large orders. But with higher prices and possibly more increases coming they must expect sales to drop. Which means they are probably going to carry less inventory. And with lower inventories they have less incentive to put ammo on sale to get rid of it.

MGF
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

Wolfchief,
Will probably be March (I'm hunting and shooting with all my free time right now), but I'll check the prices, availability and self pickup option with B&P. If the prices seems half-decent, I'll shoot you a PM. You could meet me in "da Region" and we could split a bunch of shells if you're interested.
Mark
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Mark--I may very well be interested ! I just acquired a 1963-vintage A-5 Belgian-made Sweet Sixteen (round knob, 28" barrel, Mod choke, great original condition) and I'm always looking for some ammo to feed it! It's a pleasure to shoot....

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:46 pm  Reply with quote

Wolf: Nice find on the Sweet 16! Post some pics if you can.

Matt
wingshooter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

I've had six flats of black promo loads on rain check from BPS since last August. I check on the status about once a month. The Rem rep told my salesman the last time I was in that the EPA is all over them to "get the lead out." Apparently supplies are in flux while they are switching over. Don't claim to understand it all, just what I was told. FWIW

Mike

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers
Scolari
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:34 am  Reply with quote

I know that metal and oil prices are spiking the increase in price of shotshells but it is getting outragous. I can't believe the difference in prices from different stores. I was at Gander Mountain a couple weeks ago and they wanted $18 something for a box of Fiocchi 16 ga pheasant loads. Dicks still has some RGL for $4.99 but I don't think that price will last long. I visit our local Rural King stores usually weekly and I've watched the price of 16 gauge shells go through the roof in the last couple of years. They still have a few RGL for $5.99 and they want $7.99 for cheap Winchesters. Last week the same Winchester shells were $6.49. I know they were the same shells they had last week, they just changed the price. I checked Zanders wholesale and they wanted $6.58 for RGL and $7.11 for Winchesters. 12 and 20 ga shells don't seem to be going up as much as other gauges. The only thing I can say is I'm glad I don't shoot 28's and 410's. Those prices are really through the roof. I saw a box of 410 shells for $13. It seems like they are passing the price increases onto the less popular gauges. It will be interesting to see where it will end.
MGF
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:36 pm  Reply with quote

Scolari wrote:
The only thing I can say is I'm glad I don't shoot 28's and 410's. Those prices are really through the roof. I saw a box of 410 shells for $13. It seems like they are passing the price increases onto the less popular gauges. It will be interesting to see where it will end.

You are dead-on. I ran across five boxes of .410 AAs the other day at a Farm & Fleet at $8.03 and snagged 'em all. Elsewhere, Oy! I'm running by my favorite dealer's store on Monday and seeing what he's got from Kemen, Rio, and PMC.
Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:29 pm  Reply with quote

"what the market will bear" Its simple economics boys. These guys will charge what they can get until they can't get it. The reason they charge so much is because they can. Only when that stops serving them will they change. Thing about it for a minute...if they charge a dollar more per box they can sell a good many flats less and still come out better.

The bottom line is we put the mom and pops and others out of business when we started shopping at Wally World and the other big boxes. We meaning the consumer of course. It grips me to no end to hear people complain about Walmart when those same people are the ones that created it.

Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Has anyone on this site (or any other site for that matter) looked into purchasing some large quantities of shells and then distributing to the members. I don't know what kind of margin these stores work off and all of the Haz Mat stuff but it seems like it might worth a try. There might be a member at a club or store that can work a deal and distribute and make a buck or two in the process. From the sound of things it doesnt seem like there would be a lack of interest.

FlyChamps
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:22 pm  Reply with quote

Harry_Orwell wrote:
I don't know what kind of margin these stores work off and all of the Haz Mat stuff but it seems like it might worth a try.

There is no HazMat on loaded ammunition. HazMat charges apply only to primers and powder. Loaded ammunition ships as ORM-D - here's UPS's explanation of ORM-D -

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/hazardous/examples/ground_ormd.html

For most "big box" stores there is not a lot of mark-up on ammunition.

As a result bulk purchasing and redistribution among members wouldn't save much and because of shipping might even cost more.
MGF
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:54 am  Reply with quote

Wolfchief wrote:
As another example, I just this morning visited a Meijer store (general big box discount store) and purchased a box of 50 .22 mag Remington 33 gr. Premier rimfire shells to shoot in my Winchester 9422 mag. The cost at Meijer was an even $10.00. These same shells I priced at 2 different Gander mountain stores on Wednesday. Gander's price for the identical product? A whopping $22.99 !!

Same situation here, Wolfchief. My brother was looking at the .22 mag shells at GM and just shook his head. I'm going by the local (Highland, Ind.) Meijer right now to see if they have any relative values. I'm ready to write off GM entirely when it comes to shells. Kind of sad, really: The one in Hobart use to be competitive on stock and price. Now, embarrassing on both. If the Meijer has the .22 mags at $10, I'll pick some up for my bro.

EDITED TO ADD: Well, got some useful stuff (gloves, socks, hat) on clearance, but no shell buys to speak of. They were asking $5.99 per box for 16 ga. Win GLs in 8. Not too bad these days, I guess, but I'm pretty well stocked up, so I passed on those. They had no .22 mags at all. They were clearing out their BoreSnakes for $9.99, so got one for my own .22s. Already have 'em for my shotguns.
old16
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Fellows I think the time to stop buying is now. From what I have been reading here and other forums is everyone has slowed down or will be slowing down cause of the high price. Gouging is exactlly is what has been going on. But the problem goes deeper than just the major stores. The manufacture of the natural resource and the middleman are making a killing. The only way to stop it is stop buying. In very short time prices will fall. Its beginning to now. Don't just run out and buy just because price have lowered some. Wait till the bastards start to beg. Just like I told the Auto dealer 2yrs ago. We couldn't come to terms on trade. I said you were to damn high and I will be back when you have to give them away. Well I get a call at least once a week form dealears I have tried to deal with but I don't won't nol intrest free crap I want a fair deal. It will come just hang in their. Old 16

Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

Old 16, how many pictures are you going to miss till you buy a camera!

Fact is we're not going to stop buying and they are getting the price they want or the price would be lower. We have to continue to shop for best value and buy from that source and then prices will come in line. Remember that the 16 demand is way less that the 12's and 20's so the cost to produce are a bit more expensive. Simple ecomics really. We have to deal with the reality that we just may have to pay those prices because it may be fair and reasonable as much as we hope it isnt.

MGF
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:58 am  Reply with quote

I guess I'm taking the middle path. I am pretty well-stocked in practice and hunting loads in all 5 gauges, so I'm not buying unless I see an actual bargain.

True story: A couple weeks ago, my brother pulled me aside at his daughter's HS graduation party and said, "You're going to be pissed at me." Then he told me about some clearance shell buys he'd made that morning at Farm & Fleet about 40 miles away. Said he hadn't called me for fear of waking me up (I work second shift).

First, I told him I wasn't pissed, but in the future to wake me up any time it was about shells, shooting or hunting. Second, I looked at my watch and said, "I can make it there and back in about 90 minutes ... what do you think?" He nodded and said go for it (he wanted some more shells, too). His wife and daughter were fine with my ducking out (hell, they see me nearly every weekend in the fall and winter), so I hauled butt.

Dropped $200 bucks on shells, including some 16 GLs at $4.19 a box, some Win AA .410s at $8.03 a box and some premium hunting Win and Rem loads in 12 and 20 at $8 a box. I put one heck of a dent in the store's remaining clearance stock. Lady at the register looked at me oddly. Guess she'd not seen too many guys who buy shells in bulk. Smile