16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Headin' to Kansas...
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

Well, west-Kansas, that is, since I'm already in Kansas. Pheasant opener, and for those who don't know, quail season out west won't open for another week, but opens this weekend in the east. I've missed the last two openers due to family health issues, so I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas eve for this one. Been packing all week; just packed the guns and going to do the shells next, but had to stop for a wee dram to aid the task. I'll be totin' my Sterlingworth for the first time in the field, and I can't wait, but takin' the old Stevens 5100 too, as a backup just in case. I'm told there're birds, but as we know, that's not what it's really about anyway. So here's a tip o' the glass to those of you who've already been out there, and those who, like me, are rarin' to go; best to ya, and good luck...

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Hagrid 20
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:40 am  Reply with quote

10nov05

I'm jealous. It sounds like a great hunt. Good luck and report back with the who, what, where and how many.

I'll be hunting in Kansas next week too but in the other end of the State for ducks with my 16 Auto 5.

Good luck, Hagrid
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:36 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, Hagrid. Where ya been, buddy? Good to hear from you; us Kansas guys gotta stick together you know. Maybe we'll pass (meet) each other on the highway; I'll wave at ya! Leave a duck or two for seed!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Birdman
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:40 pm  Reply with quote

Fin,

Good luck with the Sterlingworth. Be safe, have fun, and shoot a couple of Roosters for all of us.

Birdman
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, Birdman. It was a good trip, pretty typical for us. We hunt mostly family land, plus a couple parcels owned by folks we know, and a little walk-in if we stumble on something that looks good. Just me, my brothers-in-law, and the occasional kid or two. It was warm and dry, and the birds were flushing pretty wild. Saturday, 5 guns, 17 roosters. Sunday, 4 guns, 10 birds. Monday, 4 guns, 4 birds, but we lost 6!! I hate that, but I guess coyotes gotta eat too. We were gonna hunt Tuesday, but the wind was blowing 60 mph plus, so we bagged it. I'll be back a few times before the season ends, but opening weekend is always special.

I didn't shoot real well, but the Sterlingworth accounted for 3, 2, and 1 (actually, two 1/2's!). I'm sure it was the gun's fault Wink ! The highlight was the old man (me!) walking two kids (nephews) right into the ground. They were sittin' out the last couple fields, and I was still going! Very Happy

Fin

Brad6260
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

hey Fin.
How bout those Tuesday winds.
We spent the week up around Glenn Elder and also bagged it by about 2pm Tueday. Got tired of chasing my hat every time it blew off my head.

Good week though and I agree about those nervous cocks but we did some damage.
Too bad the quail are in such short numbers.

Regards,

Brad