16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Another new guy
mdm1
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I have been watching this site for several months and have enjoyed the give and take and the wealth of knowledge of the members here. I have been a 16 gauge fan for many years. I purchased my first one, a Remington 870, in 1964 when I was 16.

I wish the combined knowledge and influence of this group could have been brought to bear in the mid 70's. Oh well, you're here now. I hope to add just a little.

Milton
southpaw02
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

Hello

Welcome aboard

SP
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:34 am  Reply with quote

Due to the influence of a couple of our big domestic gun companies during that time, many of the gun mag writers of the day were deriding the 16 as old and in the way. There were a couple of the old timers still writing that thought the idea was foolishness, but their voices got lost in the crowd who was wailing the 16's death chant.

Out of all this hub bub came the vintagers. This group probalby had more to do with saving the gauge than any other during this time or shortly after. These folks organized to help each other preserve many of the old, pre-1900 American doubles. The 16 was a very common gauge then and a favorite among some of the members.

During the late 1970's and into the 1980's, certain government induced agricultural programs encouraged the mid-west corn belt farmers to leave a percentage of acreage lie fallow. Pheasant populations exploded. The declining waterfowl numbers, steel shot restrictions, and low bag limits encouraged folks to go back to or take up upland hunting.

Upland hunting requires a lot of walking, so a light, easier to carry gun is desirable. The average 12 ga. repeater had been gaining weight over the years following 1960. the 12 O/U guns weighed an average of nearly 8 pounds. The 20 ga was easy to carry, but proved marginal on big wild roosters. Folks began discovering what their granddads knew. A 16 built in a nice light trim package was easy to carry and far more effective on bigger birds than any 20 ga..

Folks began scouring the market for suitable used 16 ga shotguns and prices started climbing in the region. Some smart dealers were buying 16 ga guns cheap in other areas, having those needing it repaired and refinished, and selling them at big mark ups. Remington, Winchester, Mossberg, and a few other companies tried to cash in on the demand by pushing their now overweight 16 ga repeaters or doubles built on 12 ga frames. Folks shunned the guns as to heavy to carry and not as effective as a 12. The gas operated autos were also fussy about shooting some of the heaviest 16 ga loads available as well. The old tried and true Browning A5 Sweet 16 was one repeater that would shoot any 16 ga load fairly well if it was in good repair.

Browning started getting ever increasing repair and parts orders for older, A5 Sweet 16 models and decided to reintroduce the gauge in a modernized, but still trim package in 1987. They added the 16 ga Citori built on a modified 20 ga frame as an after thought. the rest is history as we know it.

Our group came late to the party. It took time for the numbers of 16 ga fans to regrow from the low numbers in the early '70's. The internet was a big factor as well. However, we have become a very vocal and influencial group in the few years since Doug organized us--Thank you Doug.

Our presense just might be the needede factor the brings the gauge back to become the true queen of the uplands once again. There is a very good reason why our grandfathers chose the gauge as the best gun for upland work. We know how good it is. Now, we are telling the rest of the folks, and they are finally listening. Who knows, even Remington might finally get on board and offer us a 6.5 to 7 pound 16 ga. repeater in a modern package. Well, maybe I'm expecting too much here. It's hard to retrain an aging dinosaur. Laughing
mdm1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:35 am  Reply with quote

I remember well the 70s and the impending death of the 16. My Dad shot a Remington Sportsman 48 he purchased in 1949 and worked in a hardware store were guns and ammo were sold. He started special ordering our shells way back then.

Somewhere in the mid 70s, we got into quail hunting and I fell in love with side by sides. As you know there were no new 16 ga. sxs to be found. There was no gunbroker/gunshows (at least in my part of the country). I found an Ithaca SKB 20 ga. that felt really good, bought it, and killed more birds with it than probably anything else I have ever owned.

Then between habitat change and farming practices the bob white left our part of the country and dove shooting over stock ponds (we call them tanks down here) went away.

What climate change did do was bring white wing doves from the South. They are bigger, higher flying, and I believe faster than the mourning dove. My little 25 inch barrel 20 gauge was not doing all I wanted it to do, and I did not want to go to a 12. I knew what a 16 would do and I'm stubborn. I have since found, bought and sold several 16 ga. doubles, looking for the right one.

I currently have a Huglu, an L. C. Smith, and a Winchester model 21 in doubles and several single barrel 16 ga. guns. I think I like the Smith the best and I just got it before Christmas. The Model 21 I did buy back in the 70s, never could hit the side of a barn with it, so it has sit in the gun case ever since.

I guess that's enough rambling for one day. Thanks for the info.

Milton
Highcountry
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! I spent my college days in Austin at UT. Probably more deer in that part of the country than birds.

Nice intro 16gg.

mdm1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm in the Waco area. More blackland prairie and not so many rocky hills. Almost all small farms once upon a time. Now bigger farms and ranches.

Milton