16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  my Spanish guns
Uncle Buck
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

Long time double lover, first time poster.I have owned 6 sxs, now 4, all but one ( a Fulton Arms 12 I bought on the cheap at an auction) Spanish made. I shoot my 20 ga. American Arms Derby about 75% of the time on South Dakota game birds, that is mostly pheasants. The safety is still a little stiff and the fit and finish not up to the higher priced guns, but it serves me well and is fun to carry. It has killed its share of pheasants. I think I only paid $250.00 when I had my FFL. Therefore it has been a bargain.
My first Spanish sxs was purchased by my father in Spain, 1963. It is a Union Arms #53 which per "Spanish Best" was associated with Grulla. I shot this gun for 35 years in SD and only hung it up because it is bored Mod and Full. Do not need it after I started shooting over pointing dogs only.The only thing I ever repaired was a firing pin (2). I also had a Ugartecha that I paid less than $300 for. These were the sidelock- Parker Hale type guns and I bought three at the time, sold two to friends.
About 4 years ago I traded a bunch of guns for an AYA #2 Roundbody 16.
Iwas looking at a 28ga., but picked up the 16 and could not put it down until I bought it. The 28 was just too liitle gun to stop on the swing. The 16 is perfect for this old bird. I have not shot it all that much, as we hunt a little rough some times out here. I kind of save it for the relaxed moments when I hunt by myself and just follow the Puds around.
Bottom line, the Spanish guns may not be perfect, but have served me well.
By the way, when my Dad bought the Grulla, he paid $135 and brought it back on the plane. No duty and when he walked thru the New York airport they asked him what he had in the box. "A shotgun" he replied and they did not even look in it. THINGS HAVE CHANGED IN MANY WAYS. To replace this gun new today would take at least $4,000.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:17 pm  Reply with quote

Of all the guns you mentioned, I've heard the AyA is the most dependable for quality and reliability. If my old Matador is any indication of this, then I'd have to agree. Years ago, Aya, Arrietta, and Grulla were names synonymous with good guns at very reasonable prices. Folks like Jack O'Conner swore by them, both for reliability and for the low price. I've also been told by the few folks I've come to know who both shoot and travel to Spain that over there and in Portugal, they still are very reasonable to buy, have fitted, and have serviced... a whole bunch less expensive than here with a lot less BS to boot.

Based on this info, I am coming to understand the problem with most Spanish guns starts and ends with the stateside importers, the middlemen, who want a very high markup and who refuse to back their products up with good, reliable, and fair warrenty service after the sale. I think thats probably true for 90% of the problems we have with foreign guns. Its the reason we are seeing more foreign makers opening their own facilities stateside ... to protect their good name with good service. Its about time too to get rid of the sharpies and the do nothings that hurt the trade with overly high prices and long sad stories why service is so expensive and unreliable.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

Not sure about Arrieta and Grulla--both of which have some pretty reliable importers--but I know AyA has some American gunsmiths that are authorized to do warranty repair. One of the main problems with Spanish guns Stateside comes when you try to order them "bespoke", with your stock dimensions, specific chokes, etc. For whatever reason, things tend to get lost in the translation. I don't know of any importers that will stick you with a gun that's not the way you ordered it, even if you put money down--which is usually required--but you may have to wait long enough to start with, let alone waiting again while they make you another gun.