16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  great find story
mod11rem
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

The Fox 16 SxS mentioned in my first post is truly one of those great find stories. a buddy at a financial institution called me one day and said that a colleague of his was charged with disposing of a bunch of guns that belonged to his father inlaw. The widow wanted them out of her house, quick. I rushed over and looked at the list. There were several pistols and some long guns, about 20 in all. I cavalierly stated that I would give $250 for the Fox 16, sight unseen. The son in law said ok and I paid him in cash, not knowing whether I was buying a pig in a poke or what. He said come by after lunch and pick up my gun. It turned out to be a Fox made by Savage in the early 60's so I didn't have a real steal, but... it appeared to be brand new and never fired. Checkering sharp as the day it was cut, perfect bores and no wear marks of any kind. It's (predictably) 28" F/M and I probably got it for about a little under half price. It's particularly handy when going out for the second time at a dove shoot when they're flying a bit higher and faster. It's also perfect for pheasants. Getting used to it at the range, I ran 100 straight from 15 yards behind the trap station. It' a real honey. While not the killing machine my model 11 16 is, like I said, I carry it when I really want to feel and look good in the field or on the range. If I can't throw 1 oz of lead at a bird from a 16, I'd just as soon throw rocks.

mod11rem
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a Savage Fox BSE 20ga in 1969; after 35 years of regular use it finally broke. Total cost of gunsmith repair $35; they're not beautiful but they sure are reliable