16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  cheek piece removal
cvdawley
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

Does anyone see any problems with removing an existing cheek piece on a shotgun stock?
Dr. David Dabaco
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:03 pm  Reply with quote

Yes. it will radically affect the cast of the gun.

You are going to have to check how removing the cheek piece is going to affect the overall cast of the gun and how the new established cast is going to fit you, the shooter --unless of course you are a left hand shooter and the check piece is on the right side. In this case, cast is still and issue, but you should already know that as a southpaw.
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:44 am  Reply with quote

Removing a cheekpiece is not as simple as it looks. As Dr. Dave pointed out, removal of the cheekpiece may alter cast. Now, tou're faced with the extra costs of stock bending. Also, some guns simply can not have the cheekpiece removed and still be shootable.

Simply put, consider cheekpiece removal to be considered on a piece by piece basis. And to be determined by a competent gunsmith, knowlegable in theories of gunfit.

The exact same policy can be applied when doing a gripectomy ... the process of converting a pistol grip gun to a straight grip gun.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
JonP
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

Wouldn't refinishing also be a problem? Won't emoving the cheekpiece expose wood that has aged differently? or is this not a problem for a good stock man?
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:22 pm  Reply with quote

JonP wrote:
Wouldn't refinishing also be a problem? Won't emoving the cheekpiece expose wood that has aged differently? or is this not a problem for a good stock man?

No problem at all for a good stock man.

JonP
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

While I bow to greater experience on this list, I have to say that years ago I had a cheekpiece removed from a shotgun and the gun fits me to a "T". The gun had a cast-off of 3/16". I remember the gunsmith laying a laser pen on the rib and measuring the cast of the gun and he determined that it would be very close to my measurements. I haven't regretted it - and except for adjusting the LOP with a pad, nothing else was needed to make a nice back up gun.

BTW, if you look real hard you can see the difference in the finish-it developed over time.
steve voss
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

This gun had all three, cheek piece removed, grip-ectomy, and a pad added. Most cheek pieces taper into the top of the stock making cast a minor point. It certainly was in this case.

sv

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

Nice work. Please tell us more about the hammergun?

cvdawley
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

I am glad to see the last few posts as I have a very nice JP Sauer & Sohn coming that I bought with the intention of coverting the stock and removing the cheek pieces and sling attachments. I have looked for some time for an "american market" gun with no luck. This gun has what appears to be a well figured stock and weighs in at 51/2 lbs in its current state. Only downside is it is a 20!!
JonP
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Only downside is it is a 20!!

Only on this site would that be a "downside"!! Laughing Laughing
wingshooter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Please tell us more about the hammergun?

Now you've asked for it. (One sweet handlin' 16, if I do say so mahself).

Manufrance Ideal 314:
Barrel set 1- (choke) .000 , .007 , chamber 70mm
Barrel set 2- .025 , .047 , 65mm
Barrel set 3- .005, .015
Manufrance Ideal No. 5:
Choke: .000, .010, 70mm chambers
steve voss
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:44 am  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
Nice work. Please tell us more about the hammergun?

Now you've done it. Very Happy It's a Pieper build Bayard. As near as we can tell from the proof marks and the address on the gun, it is circa 1907. The 29" steel barrels have been re-blacked, but the rest of the metal is original. My stock guy did all the work, plugging the swivel hole in the stock with matching walnut and in the lower barrel rib with the cut off screws. He did a complete re-finish and re-checker of the butt stock after removing the cheek piece and ugly grip. We used a Galazan pad because it is the only Silvers style pad without a metal reinforcement. He heated the pad in a pan of hot water and installed it on the curve where the butt plate had been, so the stock has not been cut.

Overall, it weighs 6 Lbs. 2 Oz. and balances at the front of the hinge pin. Built like a tank having both underlugs protrude through the bottom of the frame to act as recoil lugs, a cross bolt and a hidden FOURTH fastener. The chokes also seem to be factory choked .008 and .018 making it my go to Prairie Chicken gun. I also shoot most of my sporting clays with it using 3/4 ounce loads. It's the only gun I've owned that feels both quick and stable at the same time. It'll be hard to get this one away from me.