16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New AYA#2 16gauge - Pics
griffonowner
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

Decided to join the 16g crowd again (first and only 16g prior was Lefever Nitro Special) and thought I would post some pics of my new AYA#2...

Details:

AYA #2 16guage, 6lbs 5oz, 29" barrels, choked ic/mod, wood upgrade to #1 wood.

**The only small downside was that when I received the gun - I ordered it from an out of state Cabelas - there were some very small abrasion scrapes from shipping on the barrel (my wife said I was being picky). Not easy to see but... its a new gun so it bothered me a little, however, I liked the wood on the gun too much to worry about it.

Can't wait to get out and shoot!!! Very Happy

Old Shatterhand
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:48 pm  Reply with quote

griffonowner wrote:
Decided to join the 16g crowd again (first and only 16g prior was Lefever Nitro Special) and thought I would post some pics of my new AYA#2...

Details:

AYA #2 16guage, 6lbs 5oz, 29" barrels, choked ic/mod, wood upgrade to #1 wood.

**The only small downside was that when I received the gun - I ordered it from an out of state Cabelas - there were some very small abrasion scrapes from shipping on the barrel (my wife said I was being picky). Not easy to see but... its a new gun so it bothered me a little, however, I liked the wood on the gun too much to worry about it.

Can't wait to get out and shoot!!! Very Happy
---

Isn't your wife jealous when you've got that slender spanish beauty in the house? Wink

The wood is impressingly good!

Old Sh.
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:34 pm  Reply with quote

Nice looking gun. Good luck with it.

mdm1
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:09 pm  Reply with quote

Beautiful! Enjoy the trigger pulling.
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:20 am  Reply with quote

[quote="griffonowner"]Decided to join the 16g crowd again (first and only 16g prior was Lefever Nitro Special) and thought I would post some pics of my new AYA#2...

Hello GO, welcome to the fold. Gorgeous gun by the way, I'm green with envy. I'd like your opinion.......I'm assuming by your UN that you own or have experience with Griffons. I'd like your opinion of the WHPG. I/We are considering adding one to the familly and are in the "find the right breed" stage of dog owership. At first we were honing in on the Spinone, the breeds' character seemed like a perfect fit; relaxed, low key home dog, versital (upland and waterfoul), moderate paced, inteligent and methodical pointing dog, with decent retrieving triats. I pulled back on the breed when I learned that they are a relatively large dog that embody very sloppy & messy house habbits. Then we ran across a Griffon, I apologize for the generalization, but...at ten paces the breed appears to encompass all the atributes of the Spin's but in a smaller package that is a bit less messy around the house (no slobber and little shedding). Would you agree to this generalization? Please be thourough in the description of your experience with the breed. I/We are taking dog owership very seriously and want to find the perfect fit. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Mike

griffonowner
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="putz463"]
griffonowner wrote:

Hello GO, welcome to the fold. Gorgeous gun by the way, I'm green with envy. I'd like your opinion.......I'm assuming by your UN that you own or have experience with Griffons. I'd like your opinion of the WHPG. I/We are considering adding one to the familly and are in the "find the right breed" stage of dog owership. At first we were honing in on the Spinone, the breeds' character seemed like a perfect fit; relaxed, low key home dog, versital (upland and waterfoul), moderate paced, inteligent and methodical pointing dog, with decent retrieving triats. I pulled back on the breed when I learned that they are a relatively large dog that embody very sloppy & messy house habbits. Then we ran across a Griffon, I apologize for the generalization, but...at ten paces the breed appears to encompass all the atributes of the Spin's but in a smaller package that is a bit less messy around the house (no slobber and little shedding). Would you agree to this generalization? Please be thourough in the description of your experience with the breed. I/We are taking dog owership very seriously and want to find the perfect fit. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Mike

I have two Wirehaired Pointing Griffons and I love them. They are exceptional hunters. My female grif was reliably pointing planted pheasants at 3 months old. Her first season she did awesome and made numerous points on wild birds - pheasant, huns, chukar, and etc. This year was her second season and we hunted in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah - she did great! She is a methodical hunter and does usually keep a closer working distance (35-75yrds), however, when we were in montana and idaho hunting sharpie in the wide open she would get out over 100yrds. It depends on the cover. When she is tracking scent (running or relocating rooster) she is slower and more methodical but we keep moving forward and she will pin it down. Covey birds she works awesome pointing them at great distances away when conditions ar right.

This past season was my male grifs first - he will be one year old next month. I was able to get him on numerous wild birds this past season - he pointed a few and made some great retrieves but overall he is picking things up slower than my female did. He has showed good promise but I think he is just doing the typical male thing and developing slower.

My female grif weighs about 45-48lbs. My male is much taller (and bigger over-all) and weighs in at about 65lbs.

As far as comparison between a Spinone and Griffon I am not sure I can say. I have never hunted with or even seen a Spinone in person from what I understand they are a slow methodical hunter as well. I would think they would be a slower dog than my female grif but my male grif might be comparable. As far as cleanliness goes my female grif has shorter hair and facial furnishings that carries les water and food around the house but my male grif has substantial facial furnishings that can drip water and food about the house. Doesn't bother me though... I make sure I feed my dogs once a day (once they are out of the puppy stage) and they eat only outside or in the garage. Shedding has not been a problem for us.

The only comparison as to hunting style between versatile breeds that I can make with Griffons is with the Drahtaar (German Wired Haired Pointer)...

I have a bro that has a 2yr old GWP (Drahthaar) that I have hunted my Grif's with a lot. Their are some typical physical differences - a grif is usually a stouter more stocky looking built breed. Grifs also tend to usually have a longer coat (my female is the exception and has a coat on the shorter side) but my male sports a much longer thicker coat than both my brother's GWPs (more facial furnishings as well).

The way they hunt is much different though - in fact, I sometimes don't like hunting the two breeds together. My grifs are more methodical about how they cover the ground and the GWPs are more hap-hazardly running around it seems to me. Don't get me wrong my brother's dogs can find the birds just as well as my Grifs - just a different style.

If you are looking for a hard charging, agressive, larger ground covering (though not the range of a pointer or setter), versitile hunting dog get a GWP

If you are looking for a methodical, "nothing gets past me" attitude, eager to please, closer working and somewhat less agressive versitile breed get a WPG.

I would suggest you purchase a Grif that is AKC registered and recognized by the parent club - American Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Association (awpga.com). The old club (WPGCA) is not recognized by either the United, Canadian, or American Kennel Clubs, FCI, NAVHDA, American Field, or the European Griffon and Fousek organizations. Additionally, these same organizations refuse registration and testing of the cross-bred Griffon/Fousek.
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

GO,
Just wondering, does your brother have a GWP or a Drahthaar? There are differences between those 2 for sure.

My 2 DD's are anything but wild random hunters. In fact, the younger one is very methodical about covering every inch of an area and slow to do it.

Just wondering.

griffonowner
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:02 pm  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
GO,
Just wondering, does your brother have a GWP or a Drahthaar? There are differences between those 2 for sure.

My 2 DD's are anything but wild random hunters. In fact, the younger one is very methodical about covering every inch of an area and slow to do it.

Just wondering.

I have two brothers with Drahthaars and have seen many other's hunt (I have seen DD hunt tests, breed tests, and hardness testing). Notice I said the following...

Quote:
Don't get me wrong my brother's dogs can find the birds just as well as my Grifs - just a different style.

I will, however, reiterate that my griffons definatly cover ground more methodically than the majority (if not all) DD I have seen and hunted with. This is not meant to mean they are more proficient hunters or that one style is better than the other... just seems to be a difference between the two breeds.

If running pheasants are on the ground I would probably rather be behind my brother's DD, however, if the birds are holding I would probably give the edge to my female grif (my male has not completly proved himself in the field yet).

I have hunted a number of times with DD (and other breeds) that would just blow threw cover too quick only to have my grif come threw and stick a point on a bird. I have also had late season running roosters keep too far out in front of my more methodical grifs.

Just one Example:

I hunted a perserve once this year (out of over 50+ days of wild bird hunting) with a corporate group that hired professional guides and dogs - we hunted our designated area and got all but "3" of the birds that had been released (20 birds released) in about 30 mins. The whole time I thought the dogs (and hunters) were just blowing through things too quickly many of the birds were just getting up on their own. After the hunt I asked the guide if I could go back through our area with my dogs to get them some excerise and try to find a bird or two - with my grifs I put up another 9 birds and I got 7 of them.

This is not to say my brother's DDs could not have done the same thing - just one of my expierences. And anyone that hunts behind a great dog, no matter the breed, probably has a similar experience.

I just recently picked up a French Brit pup to hopefully move about the ground a little faster than my grifs and have the best of both worlds Laughing
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:44 am  Reply with quote

The answer is simple if you like Griffons and GWP's buy a Pudelpointer. They do not shed and are the #1 scoring breed in NAVHDA these dogs plain down hunt. All the versitile breeds are good hunters and do it in different styles you have to match your hunting style and the birds you hunt with a dog that matches. I would however recomend checking with NAVHDA for any of the versitile dogs they are the premeir testing group of versitile dogs. If your hunting wild birds you want a dog that covers ground at the end of the day he will find more birds. If you are hunting area's with high concentrations of birds in a small area any dog or no dog would probably work. Research is going to save you alot of grief buy the dog from proven lines that are tested and hip xrayed. Buy the best dog you can afford. It won't guarantee he'll be great but it will tip the odds in your favor. NAVHDA will also help you learn how to train your dog there are alot of local chapters ready to help check it out. Don't listen to TJC he only hunts 100 days a year his dogs have no expirience.
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
Don't listen to TJC he only hunts 100 days a year his dogs have no expirience.

Pretty close to the truth. Laughing

GO,
Didn't mean to raise your hair, I was really only asking to find out. Since I have 2 DDs and know at least 2 others that own them and have not seen the behavior you mentioned. Could be as simple as which kennel and the blood lines I guess. Or in the training provided.
All I know is that I've done the same thing you are talking about in finding birds when others have not. I would also guess that at some point someone has found birds that I didn't with my 2 Girls. It happens.
But back to my point, GWPs are not DDs. Wink

Hey PP, I'm sneaking out to Powderbourne tomorrow for one last hurrah before surgery. Interested? If so, call me tonight.
Happy hunting.

griffonowner
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Didn't mean to raise your hair

No problem at all. I wasn't getting excited sorry if it came across that way.

Quote:
I would also guess that at some point someone has found birds that I didn't with my 2 Girls. It happens.

I am sure its happened to me and my grifs as well.

Quote:
Since I have 2 DDs and know at least 2 others that own them and have not seen the behavior you mentioned. Could be as simple as which kennel and the blood lines I guess. Or in the training provided.

Could be, but I have been around quite a few (more than a couple - over 20 DD owners showed up to the breed test last fall) DD and was speaking in generalities.

Generally speaking a Grif will be a more methodical hunter than a DD - I do not mean that they are better hunters - like I said before just a different style.

A lot of hunting dog owners seem to have the whole "Aryan Race" mentality and cannot accept that their breed has limitations just like any other breed... griffons included Smile
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

[quote
A lot of hunting dog owners seem to have the whole "Aryan Race" mentality and cannot accept that their breed has limitations just like any other breed... griffons included Smile[/quote]

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? MY DOGS ARE THE BEST DOGS IN THE WORLD AND THERE REALLY IS NO OTHER BREED OTHER THAN A DD. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I agree, we are all partial to our companions. I run my 2 together all the time and I know the differences between my 2. Both good, but different. Same applies to the different breeds.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

TJC speak for your self those DD's may have limitations but I've never seen a PP with any limitations you just haven't found the light. I would love to join you and show you some real dog work but I am leaving for Bristol tomorrow. 2 days of tailgating in TN not quite as fun as shooting some birds but still a good time.
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

pudelpointer wrote:
TJC speak for your self those DD's may have limitations but I've never seen a PP with any limitations you just haven't found the light. I would love to join you and show you some real dog work but I am leaving for Bristol tomorrow. 2 days of tailgating in TN not quite as fun as shooting some birds but still a good time.

Good thing you can't make it tomorrow, I'd have to show your new fancy Spanish gun what a good German SxS can do. Wink

Highcountry
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

NICE! Congrats on a beautiful 16.