16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New AYA#2 16gauge - Pics
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:13 am  Reply with quote

WOW, thanks for all the insight. this is the info i was hoping for, more homwork is in order. thanks GO for the detailed description of your experience with the WHPG, it really helps. and thanks PP for the heads up on the PP and the NAVHDA, in my search for a 4 legged hunting companion, i've not heard of that breed. i mainly hunt grouse, woodcock, rabbit, duck & geese, some but not many wild phesants here in MI, then some but little put-n-take. i've found that the public cover around here needs a meticulous methodical hunting style/pace so i'm looking for a pointing breed that will partner well with this style. my knees are still in decent brush busting shape so i'm in no hurry. since we will be keeping the dog at the house finding a pointing breed that doesnt need to be tranquelized is very important......we dont need a security force or a buzzing power plant, just a piece of furniture with a good nose that eats and poops.

thanks again for the info, take care, mike

gsilber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:07 am  Reply with quote

putz463 - Both pudelpointer and I own Cedarwoods dogs. The breed is the best! The #1 NAVHDA performing breed .... and it is also the founding breed of NAVHDA. I have never hunted mine in the woods .... but I can attest to their field work and water work. In the house they are affectionate and well behaved. The number of pudelpointer kennels is limited and you may have to wait for a pup .... usually no more that 6 - 9 months. Bob Farris's Cedarwood Gundogs website has lots of info ... http://cedarwoodgundogs.com/ .

I don't think you would be unhappy with any of the NAVHDA versatile breeds .... I guess we all like the breed we chose and think they are the best. Good luck and good hunting ...

longwalker
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

putz463, I just had to chime in too, since I also hunt with a Cedarwoods Pudelpointer. For the hunting you describe, a good PP from a carefully selected breeder would fit nicely I think. The previous comments about WPG's and GWP/DD seemed pretty accurate to me too. Where I hunt, mostly in wide open spaces for huns and sharptail, I could use a bit bigger running dog than my PP. However, he's near ideal for ruffed grouse and pheasant, and is a solid waterfowl dog. There is another thread in here about versatile dogs and I suggest you look it up. (Hope this link works) www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36578#36578

putz463
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:41 am  Reply with quote

thanks guys, great stuff, really appreciate the info. mike

Gobius
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:41 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="putz463"]
griffonowner wrote:
At first we were honing in on the Spinone, the breeds' character seemed like a perfect fit; relaxed, low key home dog, versital (upland and waterfoul), moderate paced, inteligent and methodical pointing dog, with decent retrieving triats. I pulled back on the breed when I learned that they are a relatively large dog that embody very sloppy & messy house habbits. Then we ran across a Griffon, I apologize for the generalization, but...at ten paces the breed appears to encompass all the atributes of the Spin's but in a smaller package that is a bit less messy around the house (no slobber and little shedding).

Why is my first post on every shotgun forum about dogs? Maybe because I'm really only hunting to provide entertainment for my dogs.

Anyway, as the proud owner of both a WPG and a spinone, I can confidently say that the above generalization exactly matches my experience. My grif is a 9 year old female, and my spin is a 1.5 year old male, so it's tough to compare them. But as a breed spinone are definitely larger, more messy, more clumsy, and generally take up more life space than griffs. However, based on my experience spins are more affectionate, fearless, and physically stronger than griffs. Note that both of these breeds are expensive, very social, and can NOT be kept in kennels. To thrive, they must become an integral part of your family, and they need lots of attention. The payoff is that both breeds make perfect family dogs, and both are rare enough that you are unlikely to see another in the field.

I can't address the relative hunting points of the breeds. My grif was a breeding bitch, and I didn't get her until she was 5 years old and already gun shy. I will be hunting with my spin, but he's still young and very green. He has great instincts, though.

Oh, and I'm in the market for a 16 ga. Laughing
manofthewoods
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

Cool looking gun. I can't walk and chew gum at the same time, so I NEED Smile Single trigger.

Regarding dogs: I run a pudelpointer and love him - if I can will for sure get another. But, I have a thought, or two. While I grew up in MN I own land and hunt in MT - big difference! Hunting in the west (at least the praries of MT) requires a big running dog. Some dogs do that, some don't. Even with-in a breed their are big differences. My buddy turned me on to versital dogs. He swears by (and at, sometimes Smile ) his GSP's, but they sure do run big - like my PP. Sometimes a quarter mile! In the east that's impossible, you'd be on someone else's property in no time. Out west I often hunt on property so big that it's measured in miles. Birds are few and if you have a close working dog, you won't get into the quantity of birds.

Now for the big but: Pheasants, in most cases my PP or my buddys GSP aren't ideal - better than adequate yes, but, not ideal. In tight cover my dog will over run a few birds. I even will call him back and have him cover ground again, and, find a bird (only sometimes), but still...

No for the "weird" thing: I've discovered that pheasants often "escape" during mid-day to sage brush cover above the creekbottoms. Hunting in there is dicy because a dog has to cover ton's of ground to find anything. It's a blast because you never know what they'll finally point - worst case is a hen Crying or Very sad . Rooster, sharpie, hun or Sage grouse COOL.

Anyway... My point(s) have nothing to do with breed, but, more "type" of dog and what you'll use 'em for. Bottom line; hunting out west can be way different than hunting out east. I'd at least consider that when choosing a hound dog Very Happy I really do love dogs - hunting dogs that is!!! Smile Smile Smile

just my $.02

Best to all