16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Best 16ga. bang for your $ today new?
fowler
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:14 am  Reply with quote

870 express? Spartan? Traditions? On the $279 to $1000 range. Huglu? I know theres alot of good used guns but whats new?
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

I just bought a "like new" Citori 16ga for a grand, someday it will be my sons. The 870 is a good gun but in 16ga will be on a 12ga frame. If your looking for a good value and like pumps get a Ithaca Featherlight. You can get them from $250-$450.
dcat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:07 pm  Reply with quote

Seems like most that post here like the doubles and I have noticed alot of negative comments about the Rem 1100 being on a 12-ga. frame, but I really like mine. Not exactly a shotgun to carry over hill and dale because it is heavy, but certainly a great one for dove hunting in South Texas.

I personally prefer the older model with fixed chokes.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:55 am  Reply with quote

I just took the 16 gauge plunge with an 870 Express. I needed a gun for rough shooting and these were offered at the local gun store for $220.00!
It is what I needed for a rainy day gun. Sure-it weighs more than 5 1/2 pounds, but I can shoot it without flinching or complaining about recoil from the 1 ounce loads.

Must remember to keep my head to the stock when pumping now.

Best wishes,

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:18 am  Reply with quote

You are dead on the money here. A light gun will kick harder than a heavier one with the same weight/ and velocity load. Plus a gun that is too light does not swing and track well. For hunting, the recoil is rarely a consideration (with the exception of dove because of the number of shots you may take) but good tracking and enough mass to allow for it is. I've stated repeatedly that I cannot shoot too well with a gun under 6-1/2 pounds. I find that to be true with most folks who shoot well, even the young folks and the women. That is why light competion guns are not popular.

However, toting a 7-1/4 lb gun around behind a gun dog all day is not ideal either. Using the best tool for the job makes the most sense. so I carry a 6- 1/2+ lb gun for upland use. For recreational shooting and dove with these lighter guns, a 3/4 oz or 7/8 ounce of #8's will serve well with less kick and higher velocity. The pattern with either will be plenty dense, and the recoil will be much lighter. Its one of those have your cake and eat it too deals.

However, if you shoot best with a heavier gun ( and most of us do whether we'd care to admit it or not), then don't let anyone tell you your gun is too heavy. All other considerations aside, hitting well is the most important part of shooting and dove can be very tricky targets to hit.
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:19 am  Reply with quote

dcat, I think you are right about most of the posts being about doubles as apposed to pumps or auto's. There is nothing wrong with that but I'll have to admit, I shoot a single barrel gun better than an o/u or sxs. I especially like auto's.
About the Remington 1100 and 870's. Yes there are a lot of negetive comments about them. I've made several myself. I did own one for a short while. It was just too heavy for me. You noticed I said "for me". If you like it, then it's a great gun "for you" and don't be ashamed to bring it up on this forum.
Speaking of my like for auto's, does any know anything about the cheap little 16 ga auto BSA has. I know it can't be much for the price but I'm not looking for much either. I want one that I don't care if it gets wet or cry about if someone steels it. I just want something fairly light and and doesn't jam all the time.
PS. I do like my Browning Citori but I don't take it out in the rain.
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

You should buy what you like but check out and shoot several different guns. I broke one of the cardinal rule of doubles I had my old Flues chopped. It was a shooter not a collector gun that I got cheap. But it didn't balance well and was chocked way to tight. Gunsmith told me he wouldn't be able to open it up much so I had him chop it to 25". It's my gun and that's what I wanted. Now instead of a wall hanger I have a great brush gun. I like you got on the net and asked for advise and in the end did what most people said not to. So if you love that 870 and don't mind the weight go for it. But first check out some other options. The 870 and Ithaca are both well made guns that will last generations. The only advantage to the Ithaca is it weighs about a pound less. To us over 40 guys a pound can mean a lot after several hours in the field.
gold40
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:52 am  Reply with quote

Probably the best buy in a "hunting 16" today is an older Ithaca Model 37.

Generally, pump guns are "our of favor" and don't bring high prices in gunshops. The Winchester Model 12, Reminton 17 or 30, and older Remington 870's are all good choices, and usually sit on the dealers rack for a while.

These old gems are all steel with machined parts, and will last forever.

If you can't find the choke you want, its no big deal to have it altered for modern choke tubes...probably cost about $70 more. This also provides an all-around gun.
nossman
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:41 pm  Reply with quote

I too just stepped into the 16ga world. Here's how it played out for me.

I looked at a number of older Model 12's & M37's locally, and online. The best prices I could find, were $250 and up. The guns priced below $400 were crap in the finish department. Also, all of these guns were fixed chokes, which after investigating, would cost about $100 to be drilled and tapped for screw in chokes, plus the cost of the new chokes. I want/need the ability to change chokes, and shoot steel, if needed. OK, here's another kicker. If I purchased a gun from outside my home state (California), it would cost me another $100 to bring the gun into and register it here. Locating an older Model 12 or M37 in CA., in 90%+ condition is very rare, to say the least. So, the total cost for an older Model 12 or M37 was now looking to be over $600, for anything decent, and set-up with screw in chokes. My local dealer made me an offer on a NEW Wingmaster 16ga, that I could not turn down. I understand that it's built on a 12ga frame and with a 28" barrell, it weighs in at 7 1/4 lbs. The gun is NEW, versatile, well balanced, swings, & points very well, and for the price I paid (well under $400). I'm willing to carry a few more onces. I am happy with my purchase, and I hope that no one will hold it against me.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:01 am  Reply with quote

Here's the flipside of the equation with the Remington guns being built on a 12 ga frame, they are stronger and have thicker barrels than most 16 ga guns.
I shoot Fast Steel and Hevi Shot (reloads) in my new model 1100's for ducks, the heavier guns can take the pressures of modern non toxic shells very nicely. #6 Hevi shot is total murder on ducks, although 1550 fps steel does a number on them also.
Nothing can be sweeter than doubling up on crossing Teal with 16 ga gun, even if it is built on a 12 ga frame.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:08 am  Reply with quote

Hey there,

Well,
I know some may be un happy about this or maybe not at all, I'm not sure, BUT, De-Hann Shotguns offers a Huglu made 16 gauge side by side, available for use w/ steel shot. there web-site is dhshotguns.com. I don't have a de-hann in 16 gauge but I do have a Huglu imported by ArmSco in 20 gauge and a Huglu newly imported now through CZ in 28 gauge and I absolutely love them. They are fantastic firearms. Some don't like them, but I'm not sure of the reason or experiences they had w/ them.
I'm a long time lover and collector of Browning A-5's and Remington Model 11's and I have quite a few in the greatest gauge of all time, the 16 gauge of course, and am very discriminant about quality, fit, finish and design, and those Huglu made guns really struck me as a fantastic gun for the money. Show me a really good qaulity double gun for under a thousand dollars brand new and I think I'll probably buy that one as well.
I know youu already got the Wingmaster, but something tells me nowthat you have one 16 gauge you will have more.
I bought my first 16 gauge A-5 as merely something neat to have in a harder to fing gauge and it was in great condition. One trip into the woods with it and I knewit was the perfect gun and gauge for me. I came from using 20's almost exclusively for all bird and waterfowl, but the sixteen just felt perfect and every shot just felt good. I love the 20 and the 28 but the 16 is definently a great drug to bve addicted to.
-danny
nossman
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
Something tells me now that you have one 16 gauge you will have more.

If this holds true. My next purchase, will be a double. I will however wait and save my hard earned dollars to purchase a quality made American gun, such as the Browning Citori. Unless, Ruger decides to build their Gold Label in 16ga.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:23 am  Reply with quote

Hey there fowler,

I just found yesterday afternoon that Conneticut Shotgun Company, a completely American owned and operated gun-making firm in Conneticut is launching a new line.
They usually produce replicas of classics like Fox, Win. Mod. 21's, Parker's and so on for large price tags. They are however, offering there own hand made line in all gauges ( including 16 ) for right around 2400-3000 depending on options you choose and when you order it by. (You get a 300 dollar discount if ordered by April, 2006.) These are fine american guns that are very prized, and that is not a bad price when you consider a Japanese built Citori is 1600.00. These are Side by Sides with 28" barrels. Most any other option is available, some for free, others at a cost, but they do come with specifically handmade leather trunk-cases for no charge. That is a steeper price than a Ruger, but believe me, I'm sure this is one hell of a shotgun and what an heirloom to have! Just thoughht I'd through it out there as of your last post.
The web site for these fine guns is RBLshotgun.com (that's the model name)
-danny
dannypratt
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:29 am  Reply with quote

Hey there fowler,

Ok, my last post was totally incorrect. They don't come in all guages, they come in 20 (oops!) only. Sorry about that, hope I don't get booted off the site!
-Danny
Foursquare
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Danny,
If you look carefully, I think you'll find that the gun you're talking about is available in 20 ga only (for now). According to _Shooting Sportsman_ they will bring out something similar in 16 towards the end of 06/early 07. They expect the price to be around $3500.

The round body Galazan SxS that they currently offer in 16 is a sidelock that begins @ $28,000 without engraving!!!

As far as Ruger making a 16 Gold Label: Just last week, a very good friend (who's in a position to know) told me, in so many words, don't hold your breath. He explained that due to the nature of investment cast designs, it would cost just as much to change to a size-specific 16 as it would be to make a 20. And Ruger simply won't invest in a market they don't believe exists.
The answer, as mentioned in a recent thread on Benelli, would be to convince a distributor to place an order with Ruger for, say 500 16 gold labels. They'll sit up and pay attention when someone guarantees an order of that size.
But like I said, don't hold your breath.

Pete