16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Best 16ga. bang for your $ today new?
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

Spend the extra $500 or so and pick yourself up a new Citori. Light, new, warranty, chokes etc etc.

pappy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

If you want to try side x sides, than at 7 pounds, a LeFever Nitro Special, or, at 6.5 pounds look for a German or French guild gun. A Model 37 is awfully hard to beat for balance even with the big frame.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

For those who prefer one barreled guns, a used 37 is darned hard to beat. There are tons of good used ones out there. It just takes time poking around in off beat little shops in out of the way places. Keep at it. The gems are there. If its for hunting, having the shine already knocked off is a plus. My older Remington 1100s have all been phosphated, and shed water like a duck. I'd do the same with a 37. Its cheaper and easier than bluing a gun too, because you don't need to polish it up first.

To the guy from California, I did not know things have digressed to this level in LaLa land. How do you feel about the NRA now. They screwed us Mass guys over too. It ain't much fun being the sacrificial lamb is it.

My best advice is don't tell the nosy bastards about an obviously older gun. How the hell can they tell when you got it. Buy out of state or privately if you can and keep mum. You, a guy with an old 16 ga. pump are no threat to them and not what they are watching for anyway. What the crapheads in the buraeucracy don't know won't kill them. Mum's the word to the wise. Wink
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Nossman-
Shop around, you can find FFL's in California to complete a transefer for less than that. It is not actually a registration as serial numbers are not recorded for shotguns in that process. It is someone's bright idea for attempting to ensure compliance with the California 10-day wait.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, the 1986 firearms owner's protection act was passed to insure long guns were not over regulated or to be registered. Being from MA. another bastion of the liberal wackos, kind of like CA without the great weather Wink , I 've learned that not telling is best when they are not asking, or, in this case, precluded by federal law from asking.

I never buy guns in MA anymore. This tactic allows me to not have to fill out the state required record of sales for any long gun within its borders ( which is both constitutionally and federally bordering on illegal and nothing more than backdoor registration). This state form does list the gun's serial number regardless of whether it is a long gun or not. However, if the legal sale is made outside MA, which is federally legal for all who can pass a NICS check, then I am not required to even inform MA of the sale nor my possession of the gun.

If I want to buy a gun from a fellow MA citizen, then we first list it for sale through a friendly out off state dealer, which is also perfectly legal. The dealer first takes possession and lists it in his inventory records, then fills out the federal tranfer form, and I sign it. Ma has no legal right to the info on the FFL form and cannot obtain it from the Feds on penalty of law. The form does not even list the original owner, nor is he required to tell MA that he has disposed of the gun to an FFL dealer. That info therefore can't even be used to procecute any legal action on MA's part against either party, and in fact precludes any state action against any involved party.

So I'm actually better off legally not to buy guns in my own state. Plus, if Ma finally decides to do a gun grab, then they won't get many from me. I also have a number of out of state friends with FFL licences all too willing to make a modest fee and stick it to the liberal creeps who haunt our state house. Plus, NH has no sales tax, so the 5% saved usually offsets the fee if I "buy" the gun there. And MA loses again.

The Federal government has made it clear that recreational long guns are not to be registered by any power within US borders. I don't have all the particulars of CA's idea of backdoor registration. I do know there has to be some legal loophole that has kept the state from facing a huge action based on jurisdictional conflicts with the federal government. The thing about loopholes is one can jump through in either direction.

Maybe CA wants you to wait 10 days and wants to know about every gun you buy in CA, but that jurisdiction comes to a screeching halt just over the border in any other state. CA cannot force any other state's citizens outside CA to comply with its laws, nor can they interfere with any legal purchase by any CA citizen outside their border. Therefore, if you legally buy it outside CA, they cannot legally require you to inform them of the sale. If they cannot legally obtain the info, then they cannot prevent you from possessing the gun either, because they are supposed to not know you have it.

If you use ithe gun only for legal purposes and in a lawful and discreet manner, then they also cannot procecute you on these counts. If they ever ask you about the gun, the simplest answer would be that you've had it for so long, you don't remember when or where you bought it. That is one of the benifits of older guns owned by older folks. The only way they can find out if you have it is if you screw up and shoot your buddy, yourself, or endanger someone's person or property. In that case you'd be better off not owning guns to begin with. Wink The Feds have said no to CA here and so does the constitution.

Try looking into your CA laws more carefully Norr. The loophole is there. It has to be to comply with federal law dealing with interstate commerce of any legal article and to avoid jurisdictional conflicts. Then, when you find it, use it and keep mum. 16GG.
nossman
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:28 am  Reply with quote

Correct. Long guns are not required to be registered by the state of California.

Although California FFL dealers record and report the make, model, serial#, and your left shoe size when a gun is sold or an owner transfer is performed by them. It turns out that the 'high' fee that I was quoted by a few dealers, included an inflated dealer fee, above & beyond the state fee.

The Wingmaster that I bought, I like very much. It's the first gun that I have purchased in California, since moving back, and it is likely the last. The state line is just toooo close. Looks like future purchases will be made while on 'vacation', or on a 'business trip', outside of the state of California.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:57 am  Reply with quote

A word to the wise is sufficient. Good choice.