16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 on a Gobbler?
TheSilverSlayer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:21 am  Reply with quote

What's everyones set up for turkey hunting? Seems to me like an NEF/H&R single shot in 16ga would be a great woods turkey gun.

Anyway, to the real question. What kind of range could I expect with a 28" barrel and a modified choke? I realize it probably wont be much, but my 870 is the older style with a fixed choke. I might have to save up and get a 24" full choked barrel for it.

And finally, since our guns are chambered in 2 3/4" or less, what are you favorite factory loads for turkeys? I've yet to find one that I think would do an adequate job, although I havn't looked very hard.
rudyc
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:14 am  Reply with quote

Just yesterday, I patterened my 16ga Bayard hammer gun for turkeys.

The barrels are choked Imp Mod and Full.

I got 7 to 11 bb's in the head and neck out to 35yrds with either barrel, after 35yrds things opened up too much to be reliable. Under 30 yards was a swarm of bb's in the kill zone.

I tried Winchester 1 oz #6's, Fiocci Golden Pheasant 1 1/8 oz #5's and Federal 1 oz #6's

The Federal's by far worked best in my gun.

The proof will be later on in April, hope to be able to post a picture of a nice tom and the Bayard.

Be sure to try several different brands as it can make a huge difference in what your gun likes. The Ficcoi's pattern well in my Sterlingworth and Simson, the Bayard flat out does not like 'em.

By the way,
I have an older 870 full choke barrel for sale, it has some surface rust and minor pitting, nothing serious. I think it's 28 or 30" and can let it go for $50.00 shipped. I have several pictures if you'd like to see them.

Best of luck,

rudyc

Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:28 am  Reply with quote

TheSilverSlayer wrote:
What's everyones set up for turkey hunting?
Anyway, to the real question. What kind of range could I expect with a 28" barrel and a modified choke?

And finally, since our guns are chambered in 2 3/4" or less, what are you favorite factory loads for turkeys? I've yet to find one that I think would do an adequate job, although I havn't looked very hard.

My setups for turkeys are a SBE Benelli chambered for 3.5" topped off with an electronic red dot sight by Aimpoint. I use a Rhino screw in choke for shooting Nitro Ammo Co. handloads of Hevi-shot. The other gun is a Mossberg 835, 3.5", topped off with a Trijicon Reflex sight. It has a Truglo choke for Federal 3.5" hevi shot loads. Both are more than enough gun, and as many think, overkill. My excuses for using them are: 1) I have them. 2) low light conditions typical in early morning scenarios give me fits seeing beads or rifle sights and I need the electronic red dot in the Aimpoint or Tritium lamp in the Trijicon to precisely point the tightly choked loads. 3) I am a sucker for firepower and every advantage I can put on my side of the ledger when it comes to turkeys. A 16 gauge shotgun does not meet the above criteria for my purposes. YMMV.

The issue with a modified barrel in any gauge is pattern density at a given yardage with suitable shot size that will allow penetration. I know folks who use 20 gauges for turkeys, but they try to make them 12 gauges with 3” shells and ultra-magnum loads. I also know people who use 7 ½ size lead shot but they discipline themselves to 30 yards or closer shots. A full choke is best, but your modified barrel will kill turkeys, but the use of it requires time at the pattern board to find the right density suitable enough to put at least 3-5 shots in the brain or spinal column of a turkey. Personally, I would not go smaller than #6 in lead. I will also use 7.5 in Hevi-shot, but most 16 gauge guns can’t handle Hevi-shot because of barrel steel softness. It will scour barrels. Various sites have downloadable targets with anatomical turkey head and neck profiles with bone structure under lays that will help you decide distances and densities. Once you establish that distance, it will require discipline to pass on shots that exceed that distance. This can be tough on several fronts, not the least of which is judging distances in the woods. Other than shooting someone, the worst thing you can do in a turkey woods is to wound a turkey.

Gil
Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:19 am  Reply with quote

Rudyc,

With 7-11 pellets head and neck, it sounds like a good combination. The downside of my extra fulls is when a bird is in very close. If a turkey does a last minute spook, they can be tough to hit at close range--that and their uncanny ability to put a tree between themselves and the business end of a gun.

Gil
TheSilverSlayer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:45 pm  Reply with quote

What kind of velocity should I be looking for in a turkey load? I have some remington game loads with an ounce of #6 at 1200 FPS. I have a feeling I should be looking for something more along the lines of 1 1/4 ounce of shot and around 1300 FPS.
Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

TheSilverSlayer wrote:
What kind of velocity should I be looking for in a turkey load? \.

Tom Kelly in the Tenth Legion, the best non "how-to" hunting book I have ever read, ducks the "what is best?" shot size for turkey argument by telling folks, "I use whatever the hardware store currently has in stock."

1200 fps will be more than adequate at 35 yards and less. One small caveat on using sixes is "stick-ups" and brush deflection. Rarely is a woods shot as clear as it appears. Twigs, grasses, and small saplings can lie in the line of sight between the seated shooter and standing shootee. Sixes don't stand up to this as well as heavier shot. I've seen studies on this by John McDaniel in one of his books and the percentage of on target shot can be less in the woods than on a pattern board in a controlled setting. That being said, I have killed a lot of turkeys with copper plated sixes. However, if you can get the same pattern as rudyc does with his double at 35 yards with sixes in his 16, go kill a turkey with it and let us know the details. I got lucky yesterday and bagged a nice Eastern at 32 steps with one of my shoulder held cannons, definitely not a 16. Wink
Gil
booneh
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

#5 shot at 1200 will kill turkeys out to 35 yds. very dead.
my wife and i have been shooting this out of a 2 3/4" 12 ga.dbls for several years now. we had one get away when the wife missed at about 8 to 10 ft. i still don't know who was the most excited her or the turkey but it was very funny. we are going to try the 16s this year.
i have been trying to make some box calls this winter. last year the birds we got i called in with calls i made so i'm just trying something a little defferant this year. the ones i built this year may run them clear out of the woods.i i can allways hope one will be looking back to see what's after him and run into a low limb and wring his neck.
all joking aside the fun is in the calling and getting them in good range for the shot.my bird last year was at 20 yds.
i will not shoot more than 35 yds.

booneh
Gil S
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

As a general statement, here in the southeast, the "good old days" of duck, dove and quail are for the most part in the past. As for turkey hunting, the "good old days" are right now. It's never been better, all things considered.
Gil
rudyc
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

I have killed a couple of birds with a 20ga flinter with 7/8 oz of #6's. One bird was at 18 paces the other at 22 paces. The idea of having to shoot a bird at 40 or 50 yards is not for me. I for one, will just pass on a bird over 35 yards. I know lots of folks have good luck at longer ranges, I just like taking them at close range.

Been trying for several years to get one with my selfbow, however, so far the birds have been getting the best of me on that adventure. I know for a fact that if I'd just leave the shotgun at home and not cave in and use it on the last day, I just might arrow one.

rudyc

budrichard
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:29 am  Reply with quote

Short & simple, a turkey is a big bird with a good sized gobbler going about 25#'s(at least my biggest).
I used to use Rem 12 gauge 3" lead #6 but have supplanted that load with HeviShot #5 3" 12 gauge after 3 rounds of Rem at 42 yds with Extra Full choke were needed to knock that gobbler off its feet and even then it wasn't dead at all.
Use the highest velocity load you can in your gun and don't worry about Camo or 24" barrels because its the shot that kills the turkey.-Dick
booneh
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

somewhere i read a report by the winchester people that said that. #6 shot would not reliebly break the neck bone on a turkey beyond 30 yds.
can't remember just what article it was in. it was convencing enough that i stay with #5.

booneh
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

Then I suppose someone should have informed the Turkeys in my neck of the woods all of these past years that my 7.5's wasnt supposed to kill them .

And especially the ones last year I shot with the 16ga 3/4OZ 7.5's @ 1410 FPS one at 51 steps and the other at 53 steps should still be out there gobbling instead of being Ground Turkey in my Freezer .

I will get a poster printed up telling the Turkey's around here that I am supposed to scare them " ONLY" that they should not have a heart attack .

For certainly that must be the answer to all the dead Turkey's that I pack home , cut up , and eat each year .

For we all know it cannot be the puny 7.5's that killed em .

Regards Charles
XVI'er
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:16 am  Reply with quote

I have had great success with #6 nickel plated shot, Hevi-shot and lead shot out to 40- 45 yards. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot Hevi-shot to 50yards. The pattern as well as retained energy is what makes the difference. I hunted with old school hard core guys in the past and they used #6 for the first shot, then# 4 buck for the follow up body shot. I didn't think this was a good combo until I witnessed two missed shots with the first shot and the kill with the second. I don't advocate that combo today, since there have been many improvements in ammunition.

I have killed turkey with 12, 16, and 20 bore guns. The trick is to pattern them with effective loads and don't try to stretch the shot.... Wink

Try the Hevi-shot #6 1 or 1 1/8 oz loads. Federal turkey loads pattern well also. Forget the second shot if your using a single shot! You won't get another quick enough! Also, pattern #5 and 4 shot. In a modified choke barrel, they might be pretty good. The key is pattern density and retained energy. Let him get close....

sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:44 am  Reply with quote

Wouid you rather pass up a shot with a 16ga than bring a bird home with a 12ga?

Charles - I've seen your posts over at UJ - nice stuff.

Using a mod/full sxs in 16, what factory loads would you recommend? I have 7.5 down to #4 - 6 & 4 are 1 1/8 oz loads - I have 1 oz in 7.5 & 6.

I'm also a total n00b to turkey hunting
booneh
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:21 am  Reply with quote

some states do not allow shot that small. i think this is good.
what happens to the ones that run off and you think you missed?
but i guess thats why they make fords and chevys.

booneh