16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 on a Gobbler?
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:38 am  Reply with quote

Get a group of turkey hunters together and discuss loads and one can hear as many different opinions as there are hunters. Two in the freezer is certainly ample evidence that ¾ oz. of lead at 50+ yards killed those two birds, but one would be hard pressed to find anyone with considerable turkey hunting experience to agree that such a load is a desired or reliable turkey load at that range. At 50+ yards, it is too easy to wound a 20 lb. bird with any load, and certainly easier with 7.5s. I would hope that new turkey hunters faced with the challenge of killing a turkey using fair chase techniques would not complicate it further by taking risky shots with such a load at long range, and 50 yards is long range. With turkeys, make it a clean miss or a clean kill. A wounded turkey will not flutter on the ground like a wounded dove for a hunter to pick up and pop its head off. Pass up a shot with a 16 gauge or take the bird home with a 12 gauge? Either choice is admirable.
Gil
XVI'er
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:15 am  Reply with quote

Turkey hunting has evolved into a rather separate segment of the regular upland hunting scene. It is my opinion that technology has affected the thinking on the range that turkeys are harvested. I would rather call a turkey in close, than risk crippling and losing the bird by shooting at ranges longer than 35 yards. The closest I have taken a bird is 17 steps- the longest at 41 yds( lazer range finder). Only you, as an ethical hunter, are bound by your equipment and your confidence.

sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

XVI'er wrote:
I would rather call a turkey in close, than risk crippling and losing the bird by shooting at ranges longer than 35 yards. ... Only you, as an ethical hunter, are bound by your equipment and your confidence.

These 2 statements seem to be in line with why I'm considering using my 16 instead of my 12 with 3.5" depleted uranium etc, etc. - whether it be for ducks or turkeys.

If I know and understand the limits of myself and my equipment I should be able to kill a bird once in acceptable range - getting it there will be another story.

I've gleaned a lot of info about the turkey game from topics like this one.
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

XVI'er wrote:
I have had great success with #6 nickel plated shot, Hevi-shot and lead shot out to 40- 45 yards.

Try the Hevi-shot #6 1 or 1 1/8 oz loads. Federal turkey loads pattern well also. Forget the second shot if your using a single shot!

What 16 gauge guns' barrels are able to withstand the scouring of hevi-shot?

I've been using Hevi-shot loads since obtainable from Nitro Ammunition Company. It is potent stuff, although the grading leaves something to be desired. In the bird I shot Saturday, I found this pellet:
http://www.hunt101.com/uploads/53003/100_3413.JPG
Looks more like a depleted meteorite than depleted uranium. It's the size of a pigeon pea! The load was a 3.5" 1 7/8 oz 4x5x7. Federal's new high density loads are round, something Hevi-shot isn't. BTW, in that Hevi-shot is effectively equivalent to the next size up in lead shot, if a 16 gauge Hevi-shot load is available in 7 or 7.5, it would give the performance of #6 lead, but with pellet density of 7 or 7.5. That would be a great load in 16 gauge.

Gil
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:59 pm  Reply with quote

I have a new 12ga. x-full NEF turkey cannon, which is WAY too much gun in my opinion, and which I will probably leave at home. Anyone want to buy it? The turkey's I've killed have been no more than 25 yds., and I could have killed them with a .410, although I did use baby magnum copper 6's out of a 12ga. bps. A full choked 16 at normal ranges should be absolutely fine.

I like the self bow idea too. I hope to try that this year. Getting my long bow drawn back at 20yds. without spooking a tom would be tough, but not impossible.
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:35 am  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
I have a new 12ga. x-full NEF turkey cannon, which is WAY too much gun in my opinion, and which I will probably leave at home. Anyone want to buy it? The turkey's I've killed have been no more than 25 yds., and I could have killed them with a .410, although I did use baby magnum copper 6's out of a 12ga. bps. A full choked 16 at normal ranges should be absolutely fine.

If you want to guarantee a bird hang-up at distances exceeding 40 yards, take the bow or a gun that you feel comfortable shooting at birds only inside 35 yards. To guarantee shots at birds inside 20-25 yards, take the cannon. Works almost everytime! Wink
Gil
rudyc
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:34 am  Reply with quote

The only way I've ever had a chance at a bird with my bow has been out of a "Double Bull" blind. The turkeys don't seem to mind a blind at all and it gives a fella a chance to draw unseen. Some pals have used brush blinds and had good luck. You need to be covered so you can draw without being spotted.

Gil S- you are correct,
Each and every time I have hunted with my flinter or selfbow I've had gobblers strutting around and making faces at me at 35 -40 yards. One of these times I'll bring a shotgun in the blind along with the bow and really give the 'ole boy a suprise!!

rudyc

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:58 am  Reply with quote

Well I'm about to ruffle some feathers. Turkey hunting is about calling and woodsmanship. It is short range affair if the game is played right you shoot the bird at 25 yards if not the bird wins and walks away. The real benifit of this is the 2 of you get to play again another day. People try to turn Turkey hunting into a long range affair cheapen the spirit of the game. I like to hunt Turkey's and that doesn't mean I have to kill one everytime. In fact I remember more of the Turkey's I didn't shoot than the one's I did. I know its more important for some people to kill something everytime than to embrace the true spirit of spotsmanship. If you set up correctly and call that bird to 25 yards you will kill him with a Sixteen everytime. I really admire you guys that are chasing Tom's with the stick and string. I really can't wait for May. I do relize some places out west in the big open lands it may not be possible to get within 25 yards.
XVI'er
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:32 am  Reply with quote

Gil, I use hevi-shot in my Remington 870 20 bore. I would use it in any 16 bore single barrel single shot such as Silver Slayer suggested in his beginning post. I believe he was refering to the NEA and H&rR single barrel guns. I don't see the problem. Even if he did get "scouring" he wouldn't have a problem. Have you observed scouring in your gun? Does it cause any pattern problems?

Look, all I 'm saying is that in the single shot guns he mentions, hevi-shot is OK. What I didn't say is that it's OK for use in your A-5, Model 12, or your vintage double. As for 16 bore guns using hevi-shot- 870, BPS, 1100, and M 37.

I have yet to see any signs of barrel damage in my 870 and while I don't shoot hevi-shot in volume, Laughing , It has maybe 200 odd rounds over the last 6 years.

Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:33 am  Reply with quote

XVI'er wrote:
. Have you observed scouring in your gun? Does it cause any pattern problems?.

No, but the steel is modern in both the 835 and SBE.

This a.m., I had one of those magic days in the turkey woods that will be as much fun to think about in the future as it was to experience in the present. Temperatures were a little chilly for this time of the year in the low country. It was a blessing as I had forgotten my Thermocell and the coolness kept the skeeters grounded. I was in about as lovely a bottom as one will find around here, and it was on public land, a large military reservation which has protected the flock since the late 30s. There has never been a stocking program; except in reverse. Birds have been trapped and transplanted off post.

A half hour after fly-down time, I found what I thought was one bird on the ground and was able to set up fairly close, within what turned out to be under 75 yards. I had shock gobbled him by cawing with my mouth from about 150 yards and was able to cut the distance because of underbrush screening. When I got as close as I dared, I faced the general direction and clucked with my mouth call. I got blasted with a series of gobbles 75 yards away. It was more than one bird. Within minutes I heard drumming within 50 yards and saw a flash of bird through the only thicket in front of me. I had a clear lane to the left and right, but you know the deal. The birds eventually walked away. I thought about a better set up and slumped down the base of the tree that I was sitting against Once low to the ground, I could see clearly under the bushes unobstructed. Crap. Three gobblers were strutting 50 yards away. They gobbled their butts off. Finally to the right, a hen clucked. Turkeys moved to her, passing left to right 50 yards out. They moved out of sight. After 20 minutes, I started to move. They gobbled in front of me, heading back in the other direction. Sister Sue was with them. For 20 minutes I watched one of them court and breed her. She exited to the left. While she was there they wouldn’t answer me. I was prepared to shoot underneath the bushes, Creedmore style. They walked to the left and I couldn’t see them. Drumming again. I set up against the big pine. Then they started gobbling one after another and back again. Finally, they filed out single file, exit stage left through the open lane. I tagged the middle bird at 35 steps. While on the way to retrieve him, his brother stood in place next to him, as the third one trotted away. I could have shot the standing bird from 20 steps, but let him live another day. With two under my belt since Saturday, I didn’t want to end the season with 5 weeks to go. Two year old bird, 9” beard, .75” spurs. Not a trophy, but a worthy adversary, and I don’t feel the slightest bit guilty shooting him with my magazine fed, semi-automatic, air-cooled, Italian shoulder cannon. Ciao—boom! Wink

Turkey fingers: Cut up turkey breast in small, thin strips against the grain. Not more than .5-.75” thick. Put in bowl, cover with beer and one beaten egg. In separate bowl, dredge egg/beer moistened fingers in dry Progresso Italian bread crumbs. Heat 1” deep peanut oil to 350-365 degrees F. I use an old cast iron skilled, 14” OD and do it on my gas grill with lid down, checking after 5 minutes with heat up high. Use a digital thermometer. Trick is not to kill the temperature by adding too much turkey. Turn once after a minute or two. When floats, it’s done after a few minutes, will be dark brown. Drain on paper-towels and salt as needed. Call me when it’s ready.
Gil
chaplainkramer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

I used an 870 Supermag on this one on Saturday--but maybe it would have been more fun with my 16 ga. Citori Superlight! (:

Not a huge gobbler (it's an Osceola, after all), but the 1 1/2" spurs were pretty impressive--at least to me.

TheSilverSlayer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

A couple potential 16 gauge turkey loads I found:

-Federal Premium Gameshok High Brass 1 1/8 ounce #4 or 6 lead shot at 1295 FPS

-Federal Premium Wingshok 1 1/4 ounce of #4 or 6 lead at 1260 FPS

-Fiocchi Golden Pheasant Load 1 1/4 ounce of #4 nickel plated lead at 1310 FPS

-Remington Express Long range 1 1/8 ounce #4 or 6 lead at 1295 FPS

These all seem like they would reliably kill turkeys out to 35 yards if not further. What are your guys' thoughts on these shells?
Stack16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:40 pm  Reply with quote

Every gun is a law unto its self. Pattern all those loads with the gun you want to hunt with, and let the gun tell you what it likes, and how far it will do it. Then be sportsman enough not to take the shot if the bird is not within those perimeters.

Griff
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

chaplainkramer wrote:
Not a huge gobbler (it's an Osceola, after all), but the 1 1/2" spurs were pretty impressive--at least to me.

Chap: 1.5" spurs are impressive on any bird.
Gil
JonP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

Fall turkey--broke them up with the dog and called this bird in....30yds with the 16 and No 5 shot...let the dog on the right retrieve