16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  The advantage of a side by side?
TheSilverSlayer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Ok guys, I had to ask this in response to the earlier poll. I was very suprised to see that the majority of you all shoot SxS as opposed to o/u. Now, for curiosity's sake, what is the advantage of a SxS? I know they're probably lighter then most repeaters, but why not an o/u or even a nice pump gun? In other words, in what kind of situations do SxS really have an advantage over the other styles of scatterguns, autoloaders included. Maybe its just personal preference, but the only real advantage I can see is that they look cool. Please dont take this as a flame, its not, just tryin to learn.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:15 am  Reply with quote

They're kinda like a Harley Davidson, if I have to explain it, you'll never understand anyways. Wink
No flame intended.

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:34 am  Reply with quote

Silver: I own more repeaters of one type or another (pumps and autos) than side by sides, and I really can't tell any difference between these and a side by side in how well I shoot/what my skeet scores are. For some guys, there is a significant difference. For me, I like the way the SxS fits--both of mine fit like a glove---and since your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun, the gun must fit or you'll never really shoot up to your potential.

My side by sides carry well in the field if I'm shooting pheasants, ducks or quail. Also, the Merkel 1620 I use a lot is lighter and trimmer-- which doesn't wear me out like, for example, an 8 lb. 11-87 12 ga. might.

Right now, besides the 1620 I also own a Beretta Silver Hawk in 20 ga. Both sxs's feature pistol grips, a personal preference of mine since they seem to help control the gun better for me. The Silver Hawk has choke tubes so I often use it on skeet with the open tubes. It seems to recoil a little less for me than an O/U.

I try to fight the "snob appeal" factor that SxS's can bring to some shooters; I've been beaten too often at skeet by guys with Mossberg pumps, and I've beaten guys myself with my Model 12's who were using Krieghoffs, etc., for me to give that "I'm better than you" argument much credence. But I do like the workmanship inherent in a well made side by side, and I'm an absolute sucker for great-looking walnut.

Bottom line: enjoy the game, have fun no matter what you're using, and hunt/shoot with responsible people who take the sport seriously, be it fur, feathers or clay. Life's really too short to settle for anything less.....

Terry Imai
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Actually, you have stated a very good question... If you can buy, steal or borrow (buy is best), Gene Hill's "The Shotgun Book" provides more information that what initially appears. Hill's ability to provide so much good information in such a "folksy" way really sneaks up on you. He has IMHO the definitive discussion between O/U and S/S. I would not attempt to explain the differences/advantages of a single sighting plane versus an S/S as Hill has done. A single sighting plane like an O/U, auto, or pump provides for very precise shooting esp. in very repetitive clay sports. A S/S excels in the field where shooting precision is not as important when gun handling and being able to see/shoot the bird when the background is not optimal and you have the advantage of a broad shooting plane.

I hope this helps and be sure and pick up that book, it has a lot of great information and I return to it many times to pick up many of Hill's tips and information…
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:52 am  Reply with quote

My favorite saying around here has become, "It's the indian, not the arrow."

This business of SxS shotguns being better than any other type of shotgun for bird hunting is pure baloney. If a certain SxS fits a shooter well and hits where he is pointing it, then, that is the gun for him. However, it is not the fact that the gun is an SxS and never will be.

I've heard this baloney from folks who should know better, and some that wouldn't know it if it bit them in the ass, because they are just plain rotten shots with any gun.

Much of it can be chalkeded up to self-delusion or plain old gun snobbery. I've seen folks with "el cheapo" pumps and even single shots just shoot the pants off some of the guys who tote an SxS for the "vintage effect" it lends them, along with their top shelf attire. I always get a chuckle out of it too.

I don't personally care what a person is shooting as long as that person can kill cleanly with it and is also a safe person to be around in the field. Again, Indian--not arrow.
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:07 am  Reply with quote

If you want to catch fish, dynamite is very effective. I do agree in part that there are some people that are very deadly with their repeaters and will shoot theirs, yours and everyone's birds (I prefer not to hunt with those types of people because of ethical reasons rather than hunting/shooting ability). I have seen many people who have more style than substance because they have a very expensive gun (and cannot hit the side of a barn with it) along with their dog named "Shadown because its range is that far from the owner. I've also seen untalented hunters/shooter use all other types of guns like autos, pumps and O/U. It gets down to enjoyment of the sport and how you want to go about it. I shoot an O/U for clays and waterfowl because I shoot better with it than almost any other gun and can hold my own with most people and thus, taking less ribbing from my partners. I like to shoot my S/S for upland because in my eyes, they are the prettiest shotguns ever built and they make my hunt just that better when I'm walking behind my two hunting dogs.

To each their own...
JonP
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:31 am  Reply with quote

Started with a S x S....and don't break old habits easily. As an old grouse hunter that holds the wrist of the gun in one hand while battling the undergrowth, never found an O/U 16 with as thin and comfortable a stock (straight stock that is) to carry in these conditions. But, I do shoot a chrome lined O/U "beast" in the duckblind once in a while--but I wouldn't want to carry it far. Shot a pheasant with it once---killed a greenhead only to have a nice rooster pop up out of the other side of the water and fly right at me. A mixed double....
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:45 am  Reply with quote

What the hell, I'll dive in too.

I started with a boat oar, Rem 870 for ducks, advanced to the lovely rem1100. I wanted an O/U, borrowed a Browning to use on a quail hunt and loved it.

So I bought a Bennelli SBE (Duckgun), still wanted the O/U. Bought Grade III, 20g. Shot it exclusivly for 4 years, then the Gundealer had a Fox SxS, couldn't hit anything with it. Minor stockwork and I hit everything with it. Now shooting a Uggie 16 sxs. loving it, and the ejectors. Killing lots of birds with it.

I don't buy into the "single sighting plane" idea. I don't sight my shotgun, I point it. IF I (I said I not you) see the sighting plane, I miss the bird wether clay or feathered. I agree with 16gg, and Larry Brown, if the gun fits you will hit. IF I focus on the bird- almost going crosseyed sometimes, it goes down, or up in a puff of smoke.

I was talking with Hammack the other night about long range shots, He reported that if you wanted to consistantly kill out to long 35+++ range, even 60-70yds, the muzzle flip in a sxs was detrimental. the Stackbarrels of the O/U were stiffer and made better shooting at longrange targets. Considering the amount of rounds he has fired at longrange targets, I tend to believe much of what he says, not all, but much. Wink

Why do I shoot and prefer a Side x Side- Hell I just like the way they look, carry-- both in the hand and the weight (although my browning o/u is lighter), and make me think on by gone days of my family, and a time that is gone. They are sexy and nostalgic! That being said, what did my grandfather shoot? A H&R 12ga single shot.

I prefer Old style hunting clothes when practical, I like buttons -not zippers, leather -not cordura, Whisky- not spritzers. I will make exceptions for safety and sometimes comfort (waterproof boots for example). Hunting, which is why I shoot, is a connection to the past. The Side by Side is a strong connection to that tradition.

It has to fit. If it does you'll have fun.

All the best,

Ash

Last edited by Ash Goodwin on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well- Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery Munjor, KS 1902
Mod 97
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:45 am  Reply with quote

I second DaveM.

What's the advantage of a 16ga? None. We just like em better.

It's all personal preference. I find the authenticity of outdoor sports in their heritage and nostalgia. A 16ga and/or SxS embodies that far better than a synthetic autoloader ever will.

NR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

Mod 97 wrote:
It's all personal preference. I find the authenticity of outdoor sports in their heritage and nostalgia. A 16ga and/or SxS embodies that far better than a synthetic autoloader ever will.

Yeah, that!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Gil S
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

I like SXS over O/U because of dbl. triggers. As Col. Askins wrote, had the single selective trigger been invented first, the subsequent introduction of the double trigger would have been hailed as an improvement. O/U and SxS over autoloader or pump? Barrel selection. I have O/U, SxS, pumps and autoloaders and like them all.
Gil
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

I like the 2 barrel, 2 triggers idea. Many a time I reach back and pull the second barrel instead of the first one.

Besides, SxSs are just cool looking. Wink

Samuel_Hoggson
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

SXSs lend themselves to one hand carry just a little better than do O/Us.....yeah, it subjective. Then there's my 5# 3oz AS20EL.......

Most O/Us have a single trigger and a PG - most SXSs have DTs and a straight hand. I very much prefer the latter features in a field gun. There is no real world instant choke selection without DTs. And a straight hand helps me get the stock to my face more reliably in field use (Don Zutz was right about this, I think).

SXSs look cool. O/Us...........well...........then there's that little AS20EL again.......

When I shoot SXSs regularly I can do as well with them as with the autos and pumps. But I can lay off those repeaters for awhile, pick them up whenever I like, and do pretty well. I can't say the same for the SXS (or the O/U.......).

Sam
Chicago
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

They are not better than other guns, but better for me. I carry SxS for many reasons: fit, ease of carry, balance, weight, sighting plane to position of hands, ease of barrel selection w/DT and workmanship. Add to the above that I grew up with them and they remind me of fond times in my youth with my Grandfather and Godfather and they are right for me. And finally the better ones are a thing of beauty. They add something to the hunt for me.

The only technical argument I know of for them is that they place your forward hand the closest to the barrels of any type gun. That said no one has won a world clay championship with them in a very long time - All O/U supposedly because of sighting plane. As I understand the sighting plane argument it is not so much that you are aiming down the barrel (a sure miss), but that you see it subconsciously. Not supporting statements in this paragraph, just my understanding of arguments for each.

Happy hunting with whatever suits you - they all can take game.
Gamekeeper
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

One advantage of a side by side over an O/U is in loading. A SxS does not have to open as wide as a O/U to reload, not much of an advantage unless the shooting is real fast and furious.