16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  The advantage of a side by side?
chorizo
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

spr310 wrote:
Never had any chicks follow me into the woods when I'm carrying one though.

I can't resist..........."it's the Indian, not the arrow". Laughing

Lord, please forgive me........

Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Chorizo:
Thought you dropped off the face of the earth.

Semper Fi: Mike

16guageguy:
Snobs are snobs regardless of the gun they carry. Sounds like we agree that few that carry a SxS are snobs.

Chicago Mike
chorizo
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:06 pm  Reply with quote

Chicago wrote:
Chorizo:
Thought you dropped off the face of the earth.

Semper Fi: Mike

No, I have just been very uncharacteristic for a Marine: I didn't have much to say.

S/F
Mitch

Rooster
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

I have been reading this whole thread with great enthusiasam (sp) and though I dearly hate to bring up religion as a topic it is clear that the SXS was created through Devine Intervention.

Why else was man made with eyes like this oo instead of this 8 unless it was intended for him to shoot a SXS. Laughing

Rooster
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:15 pm  Reply with quote

It's amazing what a pot p*ss this thread has become. The original post was based on the poll of how many people on this BB prefer S/S and their associated advantages. If you carefully read through all of these post, most of us correct thinking people prefer the S/S for upland game. Now unless a huge influx of wild upland game have migrated to Mass. recently, most of the posters hunt in areas where there is a wide opportunity to hunt wild birds and just prefer to use a S/S. If you can find a used S/S in decent-good condition, get the gun fitted to you and shoot a lot of clays before bird season, you may find out what most of the posters on this BB prefer a S/S for their hunting gun. Shooting a well balanced S/S in the field is an enjoyment that cannot be described.

Good luck
Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:38 am  Reply with quote

Another advantage of a double trigger system over the single trigger is simplicity of design and separate mechanisms. If one barrel doesn’t work, the other will. Related to this issue is what happens after the first barrel misfires. In a double trigger gun, one simply pulls the second trigger. If the second barrel to be fired in a single trigger gun that depends on inertia of the first shot to set the pin in the second barrel, the second barrel won’t fire if the first barrel misfires. Some single trigger guns mechanically set the second barrel’s firing pin and this is a non-issue on that type of single trigger gun. Admittedly this is splitting hairs, but nonetheless it is an advantage of two triggers over one and is the reason dangerous big game double rifles have double triggers instead of a single trigger.
And who knows what would happen if that rogue pheasant, Rambo, or Killer Quail suddenly charged and flew towards you with attitude... Wink
Gil
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:19 am  Reply with quote

To Chorizo: Laughing and amen. Rooster, I think god created man with two eyes, one on each side of his nose (in most cases) so he can see around his beer gut to find his ..... feet. Wink

Gil, in quite few cases of the first trigger failing, having a second operable trigger is moot. The bird is missed and the gun gets wrapped around the nearest tree. Binocular vision helps greatly here. It helps us accurately estimate the distance from the gun to the tree.

If we haven't accomplished anything else, we finally got Terry Imai to open up and tell us how he really feels. Very Happy
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

I get up from the computer , walk out the front door , stand on the porch , scream loud as I can ( NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!! ) calmly come back in the house and sit down at the computer .

Regards Charles
Rooster
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:47 pm  Reply with quote

To post a serious response to this:

I love to feel, carry, shoot, clean, hunt with, and reload for my sxs's more than any other action type, however, had this question been asked about any other action type, be it pump, auto, or o/u, I am sure those enamored of their specific favorite could come up with just as many advantages for them as I could.

In the end the most important thing is to pick what YOU like and enjoy it!

Rooster
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:40 am  Reply with quote

TJC wrote:
I like the 2 barrel, 2 triggers idea. Many a time I reach back and pull the second barrel instead of the first one.

Besides, SxSs are just cool looking. Wink

And cool is most important! Razz Besides, the good lord saw fit to place our eyes ... side by side! I for one would not look as cute as I do if my eyes were stacked!

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
popplecop
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:09 am  Reply with quote

Don't own a lever or bolt action shotgun, but have all the rest of them. Over many years I find that I can miss equally well with any of them. That being said for upland hunting give me on of my SxSs with DTs and I am a happy man wether I harvest or even shoot in a days hunting. SxSs are just my personal choice and that's the advantageof them.
spr310
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:37 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen
For the sake of harmony amongst all of us that prefer 16 gauges, shouldn't we call them preferences instead of advantages? My preference is my Baikal O/u's which on other forum's are called crap and I'm told I'm stupid for even owning one. Well I have two. One a 16 gauge single trigger and a twelve gauge double trigger. I prefer the single trigger. Why? because it's a sixteen gauge. I also prefer my BPS 16 gauge upland with a 28" barrel which I traded barrels for as they don't come with 28" barrels. Do I like my sxs's? yes, but I just shoot better with the O'u's. The only advantage to me is that I shoot better with the O/u's. That put's more meat in my freezer and keeps me enjoying the sport of hunting. So tomorrow when I go up tp the local preserve and hopefully get some chukars, at the end of the day, I can say well done dogs and 16 gauge you did good.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:21 am  Reply with quote

Well, I guess that might work... except someone will state that one man's preference is another man's advantage. Then another guy will claim it's the other way 'round. Then we'll all climb on board and we'll have a merry old time sorting it out.

Geez, spring and some good shooting weather better get here soon. Laughing
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
I get up from the computer , walk out the front door , stand on the porch , scream loud as I can ( NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!! ) calmly come back in the house and sit down at the computer .

Regards Charles

Does it help there ole son?
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

Actually YES !!!!!!!!! Wait untill you see what is coming down the pike and you all will say , WITH A SMILE " NEXT " .

Regards Charles

Say GG you have not reported on the wads ???????? Hurry up suspense is killing us ....