16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  The advantage of a side by side?
steve voss
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

Charles, that is what I refer to as "A Mad Screaming Break!!" And yes, it does work. Very Happy

sv
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
Actually YES !!!!!!!!! Wait untill you see what is coming down the pike and you all will say , WITH A SMILE " NEXT " .

Regards Charles

Say GG you have not reported on the wads ???????? Hurry up suspense is killing us ....

I'd love to except spring is playing coy up here in The Northeast. The weather today was high 30's to low 40's with a cold driven drizzle that would penetrate places you'd not think possible. We played cribbage, drank coffee, nibbled donuts, and stoked the stove. A couple of the younger guys actually shot a round of skeet. We stacked them on the stove and got them moving after a while well enough so they could pour the water out of their shotgun barrels. I'll see about next week. In the mean time, I'll have another donut. Wink
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

I had a weird experience at the range last week. After shooting a nice round of skeet with my 16 sxs (I think I broke 20 or 21), I went to a duck tower station, which I have never tried before. Man, those clay thingies are out there in a hurry! 40-50 yd shots were common, and my ic/m 16 was not the ideal setup. I think I missed four or five before I even hit one.

After chatting with and watching five other guys with 12ga. Benelli autos and target o/u's do well, I asked if I could try the long barreled Benelli. Not having shot a single barrel gun in quite some time (years), I couldn't even point it, let alone hit anything! The whippy, long barrel was wiggling all over the place and I couldn't even track the target. I then tried an o/u and did better, but when all is said and done, I found the inherent stability and level sighting plane of the sxs to be an advantage. Granted, I'm used to them, but they just seem to handle better to me.

That's my 3 cents.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

As I first stated in one of the opening replies to the post, I am hard pressed to tell the difference in the way I shoot O/U's, autos, pumps or the SxS. Today I got out of bed, loaded up my equipment and drove to the skeet club. As I am prone to arthritis, and recoil can bother me, to reduce it I took my 28 ga., 26" Citori (choked IC/Mod) to the club along with a 20 ga. Beretta Silver Hawk SxS with Mobil Chokes and the cyl/skeet tubes screwed in.

After the general friendly BS, we shot 2 rounds; weather was beautiful for a change. I shot one with each gun; shot a 24 with the 28 ga. O/U and a 23 with the SxS (did it to myself and missed twice on Low 4, Rats--t!) When I am feeling halfway decent I am just as likely to go straight with the one as the other. I try not to "out think" myself on all this theory and just keep my eye on the target, head on the stock and SWING THROUGH. I've found when I do that, it doesn't really matter which, or what gun or gauge I'm using...

jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

There is one major advantage shooting a SxS instead of an O/U. If you frequently shoot an O/U your dominant eye will begin to crawl upward and eventually relocate in the middle of your forehead. That won’t happen regardless of how often you shoot a SxS. Rolling Eyes
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:04 am  Reply with quote

Is that why Charles is so goofy looking??

ash

Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well- Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery Munjor, KS 1902
chorizo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:13 am  Reply with quote

The advantages of a SxS.....................it does make for an extremely long thread.

JonP
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:41 am  Reply with quote

Like I said, I just like the pretty pictures. And the dog seems to retrieve best when the birds are shot with a S x S!! Could be my imagination, but more of the birds seem to be dead when I shoot a S x S. Laughing

Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:59 am  Reply with quote

One unmentioned advantage of a SXS and O/U over pump or autoloader:
One can miss just as many birds with fewer shells. Wink
Gil
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

chorizo wrote:
The advantages of a SxS.....................it does make for an extremely long thread.

I agree, who'd a thunk it would have went this far. Wink
Maybe we should start a new thread, stating the advantages of the Parker over the L.C. Smith. Laughing

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:10 pm  Reply with quote

Lets up the stakes a might .

Lets make it a compairson between.

A J. C . Higgins Bolt Action 16ga and a Mossberg Bolt Action 16ga.

I am really looking at buying one of the things , I know it sounds funny but I am really thinking about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Charles
chorizo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:18 pm  Reply with quote

Charles Hammack wrote:
Lets up the stakes a might .

Lets make it a compairson between.

A J. C . Higgins Bolt Action 16ga and a Mossberg Bolt Action 16ga.

I am really looking at buying one of the things , I know it sounds funny but I am really thinking about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Charles

O.K. I give. Why?

side by side
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

JonP wrote: Could be my imagination, but more of the birds seem to be dead when I shoot a S x S.

JonP, Now you are starting to sound like me about shooting a side by side......I love it!! Laughing

Last edited by side by side on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
JonP
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Another important difference...I would never soil a good S x S by shooting one of these.... Laughing

This is the best and highest use for a good S x S...Wink
Trigg
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:48 pm  Reply with quote

Charles,

One of my guns is a Mossberg 16 gauge bolt action with a Polychoke. I have never really used it, but my brother did and it worked well for him. So as one of the others suggested why do you want one? It may give me an idea why I should appreciate the one I have.

Trigg