16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Simson 16
mnnimrod
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:50 am  Reply with quote

Anybody familiar wih Simson 16 ga. I don't have model or year but appears to be in good shape. Asking $995. Any thoughts??
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

Good guns. If you've seen a Sauer or Merkel side by side, then you've essentially seen a Simson. They all used the same design.
LittleDoc
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

Mnimrod, I have a Simson 16ga boxlock sxs. It is a lower grade gun with pretty crude engraving, but mechanically very sound. As Larry said, they are very similar in design to J P Sauers and Merkels I've seen, just not finished as nicely although I have seen some with better engraving than mine. I have read that the guns made before WWII have better fit and finish than those made/assembled after the commies took over (Suhl is located in the former DDR). The month and year of the barrel forging is stamped on the underside of the barrels near the flats. My guns barrels were stamped "1254" so I guess it is an East German manufacture gun. I got it for $350.00 about 8 years ago. I would check GunsAmerica for current prices. I have been very happy with mine. Good luck.

LittleDoc
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:26 am  Reply with quote

Good points, Doc. Usually, the prewar guns are lighter, are more refined in the sense that they have more handwork, etc. The tradeoff is that the slightly heavier postwar guns have modern chamber lengths, which many of the prewar guns do not, and are perfectly OK with standard American factory field loads. With the prewar guns, it's a good idea to stick with somewhat milder ammo.