16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Turkey plans
berg
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Turkey season opens this weekend (the 12th) out here in Nebraska. It runs for 5 weeks and a hunter can take up to three turkeys. I am planning on trying to get my first one with a 16 gauge this year. I've shot many with a 12 gauge and my regular pheasant loads, so the only problems I foresee are getting the birds to cooperate, and weather.

Had a big storm blow through yesterday (actually it is still blowing about 30 all day) dumping 10" of snow out where I hunt. With the high winds (40+) during the storm, quite a few people lost their electricity, and line crews are having all kinds of fun. Supposed to be in the upper 30's the next couple of days, so the country roads will turn to pure slop. I think I will wait till next weekend.

berg
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:50 pm  Reply with quote

Any special home load for the big bird Question
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:13 am  Reply with quote

I've been sick for a week so I'm missing opening weekend here in KY.
laxcoach
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Opened today in VA. I just got out of the shower after my morning hunt---was in the woods 10 minutes and left for home with a companion, 24#, 9-1/2" beard and 1" spurs. I introduced myself to him with my new Beretta Extrema at 18 steps.
berg
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:39 am  Reply with quote

hoa, no specialty loads, I don't reload 16's yet, wanted to get some experience with the 16 before I went out and bought the equipment, then lead prices took off and I am just shooting what I have. After I got into 16's about two years ago, I started searching for bargains and have a pretty decent stash of ammo, probably more than all of the gunshops in a 100 mile radius put together. I currently have a variety of loads that I feel would be appropriate for turkeys, basic heavy game loads, 1 1/8 oz, #5 or 6. I also have a flat of older Western Super X 1 1/4 oz magnums in #6 and #4 (these would be the first time I have ever used magnums for turkeys, but would be about equal to the 1 1/4 oz. 12 gauge load I have always used). Never felt the need to go with the 3" or 3 1/2" loads putting out 2+ oz of shot. I think I will probably be shooting my "American" Browning, it is full choked and shoots pretty tight patterns with most of the ammo I've tried in it, as in a pheasant better be 30 yds out or you are going to spend a lot of time picking out shot and feathers.

cft, hope you get to feeling better.

lax, congrats! Very Happy

berg