16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  24" or 26" Barrel on a 16g BPS Upland?
griffonowner
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

Which do you prefer? I have a Dehaan SxS in 20g and 12g that I purchased with 26" barrels and I like them. They would be the exact same length as a BPS with 24" barrels 44 1/2 inches.

However, I was wondering if anyone finds the BPS better balanced and smoother swinging with the 26" barrel?

Thanks...
madtrapper143
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:06 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 26" barrel on my BPS. I wish I had gotten the 24" tube. The Browning receiver is about 1.5" longer than the old Ithaca 37 it is based on. Makes the 26" tube seem very long and overall length too long. I based my decision on a 16 bore 37 I own and it was a mistake. The 24" barrel would be much more handy. I even had the stock shortened as the LOP was too long for me. Just bought an Ithaca 37R in 16 bore with 28" solid ribbed barrel it handles more like a 26" pump. I think I will sell the BPS.

cheers Darryl

LiverTick
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:41 am  Reply with quote

I have a 26". I ordered a 24", but that is what came in. Wish I had the 24" as well. It just seems a little long for my taste, but I prefer 26" tubes on my Citori's.
ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:48 am  Reply with quote

I purchased the 26" and per MadTrapper's observation it is about the same overall lenght as my M37 with 28" barrel.

Having said that I like the gun, it swings well and seems to hit pretty much everything that I focus on.

Mine's a keeper.

Ajax.
spr310
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

I quess I've probably got the only upland hunter with 28" barrel. I've got one with a 26" and one with a 28" that I traded barrels for. I've got a 12 gauge upland with a 28" barrel that I used for duck hunting. That worked out well. But, after deciding I didn't like the finish on the 16 gauges and refinishing them, and finding some nice wood under the finish, maybe I won't want to use them.
[/img]
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

I'm happy with the 24" barrels, a couple ounces less in nominal weight, and not so much weight forward. I got nicer than expected wood, and have no problem with the semi-gloss poly finish. I didn't like the sharp corners of the forearm, so rounded them off, stained and refinished to match. Now it looks pretty good to my eye.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

I don't think extra barrels are excessively expensive for the BPS. So why not get both and use them as needed and desired. Makes sense to me.
griffonowner
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:10 pm  Reply with quote

thanks everyone for your help... 24" barrel it is then. I was thinking that's what I would like best anyways. Now I just have to find one...