16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Any interest in a 16'ers get together hunt/shoot ?
Brad6260
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

Question As a relative newcomer to the sight I was curious if there has ever been any interest or effort put forth to organize a get together either formal or informal?

The thought crossed my mind while wishing for more man power two weeks ago in a Kansas Milo field full of Birds.

So I'll ask:

1) Are there others who would be interested?
2) Would a hunt be preferred to the typical clays type shoot.
3) Is this year late season a possibility or wait till Fall"06"?

If the interest is there I do have an area and budget lodging in mind with no shortage of birds and acreage. Question

WADDAYA THINK ?

Brad

Louisville,KY
dblgunnut
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Would love to get together to hunt! Unfortunately this year is booked solid. Fall of 06 would be very possible though!
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

I can hunt and also bring my dog, anytime is fine.

Dove Hunter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like fun to me. Where and when? Who buys the adult bevereges at the end of the hunt?
Foursquare
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:40 am  Reply with quote

I'd love to join you, though doubt I could do so before next fall.

Pete
H.H. Hipshot
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

I would be very interested.

Propose some dates, times, a place, and costs, and we'll try to make plans.

HHH
(from Texas)

IDcut
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

Sign me up!!! Actually I'd be interested-but would have to know where and when.
rayb
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:41 am  Reply with quote

let's get it on the calendar now, so we won't commit to some other 4 letter activity (like work) during some time frame..

rayb

Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:30 pm  Reply with quote

How about a special 16 gauge Event [Trap/Skeet/Sporting] as part of the
World Vintage Skeet Championships/Shotgun Classic scheduled for Northbrook Sports Club [Chicago] May 19-21st 2006?

Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

Hal M. Hare wrote:
How about a special 16 gauge Event [Trap/Skeet/Sporting] as part of the
World Vintage Skeet Championships/Shotgun Classic scheduled for Northbrook Sports Club [Chicago] May 19-21st 2006?

Hal, now that sounds interesting!
bustingclays
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I had great fun last year at this event at this club (Northbrook is a nice club with nice clubhouse and VERY NICE people). I saw some really nice shotguns and some very good shooting.

I won the 16 ga SKEET (low gun event, possible target delay) with 94 broken birds. I shot an AYA Matador sxs 16 that fits me very well.

I also won the 28 ga skeet (86 birds) and was runnerup in 20 ga skeet (92 birds). I shot this with an SKB 385 sxs set - 30 inch with tubes that I own.

I got nice vintage cup trophys for each event I won and placed.

I did not place in any of the sporting clays events (not my best game - I did shoot the 28, 20 and 16) and did not shoot the trap events. I drove up Thursday and shot Friday and Saturday. I watched the championship on Sunday and drove home - couldn't part with the $225 for the one event.

My only complaints - the events were a little pricey (I might not shoot so much this year). And Unfortunately, the practice rounds were VERY pricey.

I did get to hold a $200,000 Holland and Holland and eat breakfast with Doug Turnbull. I also shot a 6 shot practice round ($25) of zz bird (something I had never done). I actually hit 3 out of the 6 (shooting those pigeons at the farm was good practice years ago).

All in all I had great fun and I have plans to go again this year.

I'm probably going to shoot 16, 28, and 410 in skeet and sporting clays if the price is right and I can get out of the classroom.

see you there....

Dr. 16 Gauge
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:47 pm  Reply with quote

bustingclays wrote:
and I can get out of the classroom.

Same problem here.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:03 am  Reply with quote

It's been about 15-20 years since I've shot registered skeet and I don't believe the Vintage venue had started up yet back then. I've heard it mentioned in passing and have tried to find out more about it but haven't have much luck. A couple of questions:

Must you shoot sxs's or are pumps allowed?

Is it low gun only with a target delay (I hope so!)?

Are these shoots administered by the NSSA and must you join to participate?

Vintage sounds like fun and something I'd like to get involved in. I always shoot low gun anyway and like target delays too. Our club holds only one informal vintage shoot per year. It's great fun but not often enough for my liking! Pumps and sxs are allowed. Zero to four second delay and low gun.

If anybody knows about clubs that hold vintage type shoots either NSSA or informal could you let me know? I'd shoot one most week-ends if I could. Is there a mailer or web site that announces these shoots whether or not they are NSSA or local club shoots?

I'm in northeast Ohio and any reasonable driving distance would be ok.

I'm not such a good shot so I'll be no threat to your standing!! But I am a safe, courteous, long time skeeter with memories of a couple of good grouse dogs and a few cherished past hunts back when I used to have reflexes and a modicum of stamina and could call myself a grouse hunter. Anymore, I'd call what I do just walking around in what little young forest I can find hoping to see the occasional bird and enjoy the flush.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and good shooting to you.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:28 am  Reply with quote

Chicago Area, May 2006

The Northbrook Sports Club will host a great shoot May 19-21, 2006. Shooting events will be offered in Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand, and Sporting Clays.

This is not a 'vintagers' event, and pricing will be at the local prevailing rate, perhaps as much as 50% less than last year. That will encourage everyone to shoot more events.

The World Vintage Skeet Champinships will be held concurrently. While this is sponsored by the National Skeet Shooting Association, NSSA membership is not required to participate. Events will be offered in .410 bore, 28 gauger, 20 gauge, and All Gauge. These events will be shot using standard skeet format, but with circa 1935 rules, a variable release and low gun. Pump guns and tube inserts will be permitted.

Ohio Events

We have an active shooting group in Ohio, and everyone is welcome to participate. Shooting events rotate around the State and include Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand, Sporting Clays, and perhaps some flyers. See our website at:

http://www.geocities.com/hal.hare@sbcglobal.net/

or e-mail me direct.

Best wishes-

Brad6260
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:57 am  Reply with quote

When I began this thread I would have been surprised if there was not a positive reaction to a get together and there certainly seems to be that.

I did not want to post a reply until I had sent a note to our webmaster making sure that no toes would be stepped on or policy violated if this topic was pursued and some type of informal get together was planned.

I have so far received no objections and made it clear that none of this/us represent the 16Ga. Society in any way shape or form. Period!
Just some individuals with a common interest trying to get together.

There are two very distinct ideas here so far.
1) Competitive formal shoots and/or fun shoots
2) Field hunts.

I would love to see both and hope someone with knowlege in the Competetitive shooting sports arena picks up the ball and runs with it.

Regarding the field hunt side of things it seems that next falls early bird season may be the most likely target that would allow everyone adequate time for scheduling, lodging etc. and I do have a couple of ideas to toss out at a later date.

There have been a few of you who seem to be chomping at the bit to get your 16 out for a little exercise so I'll toss out the following idea/offer.

I have plans to hunt Jan. 11-15 either OK or KS . I love North Central Kansas (Beloit area). There have been lots of birds this year, tons of acreage to hunt and I believe it would work very well for a "get together" location.
But ! I am sure it comes as no surprise to any of you that Mid January would mean late season educated cocks that don't come so easy.

So my proposal is this.
If at least five of us could commit within these dates I believe we would have enough man power to push some good late season birds up.
FYI- The lodging scenario there runs $30.00ea per day.

If anyone does want to pursue this with me I suggest you send me a
e-mail and we can discuss the details . Brad6260@insightbb.com

Otherwise lets look at next fall and ideas that others may come up with.

Again! Waddaya think?

Brad Laughing